IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

What year did Lexus change the ECU programming for the transponder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 01:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default What year did Lexus change the ECU programming for the transponder?

I had an '01 IS300 that the detail shop lost the key on and they had to truck it to Lexus for a new ECU replacement. The tech had told me that my year had to have it replaced, but other years did not, as they changed the procedure for transponder programming at some point.

Anyone know when they changed it? I seem to recall it might have been a one year only thing, but it could have been changed in '03 or something. The first model or models (01 or 01,02, etc) had to have the ECU replaced if you lost the master key, later models however did not. I just need to know the exact details on when it changed.

I'm looking at an IS without a master, but has a valet with transponder and wallet. I gotta have my keyless.
Old 02-04-09, 02:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Found it:

2001 Models- If you lose both master keys, Lexus claims you will have to get a new replacement engine ECU, in addition to the replacement master keys, as the ECU is reportedly “unflashable / not reprogrammable”.

2002+ Models- If you lose 1 master key or wish to add another master key, all you need to do is get a new key, have it cut, and get a transponder (if it is not included with the key already) and follow these steps;
There are two parts to this, the first is programming the Immobilizer, which allows you to start the car, the second is programming the transponder, which locks/unlocks and opens the trunk.

To Program The Immobilizer |Chip that allows you to start car|

this is a long process, but heres what you will need
your new key
a MASTER KEY (one with the remote in it)already programmed to car.
to program the transponder- (thats the immobilizer part)
sitting in dr. seat, put the master key in ignition, and turn to on.engine OFF. press the gas pedal 5 times to floor and release. now press brake 6 times (press and release)
remove master key from ignition. install new key and turn to on...engine off. press gas to floor once. now wait. the security light will blink for about 45-60 seconds, then it will go off if you did it correctly. once the light is off, car should start.

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.
Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. turn key to on but do not crank engine.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5. Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition. Turn key to on but do not crank engine.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete
9. Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.
all IS300 ECU's after 2001 model can be reset to accept new keys if all masters are lost. this process also would be the best way to clear the missing key out. then you just program back in the keys you do have. You will not need a ECU. lock cylinder sets are available with new keys to match in one kit.

To delete all but one key from the unit:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition. Do not turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal six times.
4. Within 10 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the accelerator pedal seven times.
5. The security light will flash, indication all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds. It will be the only key still programmed to work

Add Duplicate Key:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition. Do not turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal five times.
4. Within 20 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake pedal six times and
remove the key.
5. Within 10 seconds, insert the new key into the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal one time.
7. After 80 seconds the new key is registered and the security light will go off.
8. Remove new key and depress and release the brake pedal 1 time.
(info stolen from several places around the net, including my.is)

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-04-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 04:32 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, not that I saw the thread before you found your own answer but:

I was pretty sure it was only an 01 thing, the 01 IS seems to have all kinds of misc qwirks the other years didn't.

Every time I learn something about the 1IS I always have to check if it applies to mine as well.
Old 01-17-13, 09:51 PM
asualumni
Driver School Candidate

Default For those still interested (or struggling)

I have been trying to reprogram the remote function on my FOB for the past week!

I have a 2001 IS300, and the FOB I was trying to program was passed on to me from a friend of mine (from his old IS300 that was traded-in)... so, it was "used".

I was able to easily get the key to open and turn on the car, but, the alarm/remote functions would not take. Turns out, the previous instructions (for my application) were slightly off... when cycling the locks 5-times, do it MANUALLY (i.e. opening/closing the lock **** right next to the chrome door handle) on the driver's side door lock only - NOT the electric switch (which opens/locks all doors)...

HERE'S WHAT WORKED FOR ME:

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the MANUAL lock switch on the driver's door*, Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
*note, only the driver's door is being locked/unlocked - no other door locks should be
moving, opening or closing.
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the MANUAL lock switch on the driver's door*, Lock and unlock 5 times.(Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
*note, only the driver's door is being locked/unlocked - no other door locks should be
moving, opening or closing.
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON", turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.
8. On the remote, Press and hold Lock and Unlock button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the Lock button for no more than 1 second.

At this point, I closed the door and hit the "lock" button on the alarm, and the remote worked!!!, then hit "unlock" on the remote to make sure, and it still worked!!! Re-opened and closed the driver's door to close/stop the process.

Hope that helps those out there still trying to get this done.
Old 01-24-13, 05:35 PM
Boost_lee
Rookie

This should be stickied!