IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

is300 motor question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 06:13 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is300 motor question.

I have a question. If I swap the is300 cams with the cams from a turbo supra and disable the vvti. Y cant i run a NA supra turbo kit? or for that matter a single turbo kit for the supra tt? Please be detailed. Im thinking this would be a cheaper option then these bas tardly expensive turbo kits the is300 has now. I know youd probably need an new ECU or a supra one.(I have the 5spd)
Sentinel
Old 11-28-01, 07:36 AM
Grey_is300
Driver

For some reason I am thinking that the cams for the Supra are a little bit longer because of the VVTI. (could be mistaken though) to do what you want to do you would have to remove the VVTI housing and run HKS cam gears. That is what I think would have to happen. I could be wrong the Supra cam might fit in there fine but doubt it without some slight modification to the VVTI..
Old 11-30-01, 03:06 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ok i will try to answer this as best as I can....

1. from the knowledge I know the cams might werk.. if you disble the VVTI but would go safer and get a Whole non vvti head..
2.we cannot use the NA Supra turbo kits because
A. the piping is a totally different design.
B.the intercooler in the kits wont fit in our bumpers from what i was told.
C. the manifolds may or may not werk depending on who designed the kit
D. ECU and engine management issues.... OBD versions are different but this is really not a concern directly but in time your car wont shift right at higher booost with stock ECU

this is the research I have been told... so you can go from there.. I have talked to alot of ppl and tuners about this... and they come back and say no and off the shelf NA turbo kit will not werk for the IS... whether I think this is tru or not i am still not sure I and the only things I know for sure that wont werk are the IC/And piping the rest I think you can mod or find different parts to make it werk ok... also the ECU will be a pain..

good luck
Old 12-01-01, 12:35 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by fairuza11
ok i will try to answer this as best as I can....

1. from the knowledge I know the cams might werk.. if you disble the VVTI but would go safer and get a Whole non vvti head..
2.we cannot use the NA Supra turbo kits because
A. the piping is a totally different design.
B.the intercooler in the kits wont fit in our bumpers from what i was told.
C. the manifolds may or may not werk depending on who designed the kit
D. ECU and engine management issues.... OBD versions are different but this is really not a concern directly but in time your car wont shift right at higher booost with stock ECU

this is the research I have been told... so you can go from there.. I have talked to alot of ppl and tuners about this... and they come back and say no and off the shelf NA turbo kit will not werk for the IS... whether I think this is tru or not i am still not sure I and the only things I know for sure that wont werk are the IC/And piping the rest I think you can mod or find different parts to make it werk ok... also the ECU will be a pain..

good luck

brian..you dont know shizzzz... whos yo daddy
Old 12-01-01, 09:51 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

fairuza11 ok so if i change the cams and the head, is there any reason i cant run a supra ECU since i have a 5spd?. Cost wise would a new head cams and ECU plus moding a NA supra kit be more $$$ and trouble then it worth?

My thing is if you convert an is300 engine back to its roots in the supra get an old supra ecu or a standalone would you be better off? I know you might have to modify the pipping but im sure any tunning shop can do that pretty easy.

I am simple guy. So im trying to figure out if gutting the is300 engine and replacing the internals with one from the supra NA and then tossing a turbo on in the long run would be better and possible cheaper then a is300 turbo or SC.
Sentinel
Old 12-01-01, 10:21 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

if you use the Supra ECU you are going to lose some of the nice lexus options..also if you get a head/cams/turbo/ecu or standalone/

you might as well just get a SC or turbo for an IS cause it will be cheaper... how much power you want?

IM me--fairuza11
Old 12-01-01, 01:41 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

cool ill do that,
I want to build an engine that can hold 700 hp but i want to run 400 ,450 at most.