IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

away for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-04, 12:08 PM
gmackmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default away for the winter

just a quick question ... I live in milwaukee wi and the winters here are terrible so I am putting my car in garage for the winter.. is there anything special I should do to it??? it will probably be in the garage for about 3 months. How often should I start it ?????
thanks
Old 12-07-04, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: away for the winter

Originally posted by gmackmoney
just a quick question ... I live in milwaukee wi and the winters here are terrible so I am putting my car in garage for the winter.. is there anything special I should do to it??? it will probably be in the garage for about 3 months. How often should I start it ?????
thanks
Wisconsin winters can indeed be brutal.....you didn't say if the garage was heated or not. Assuming it's not, the best thing is to probably take the battery out altogether and store it in a warm place. This will prevent the slowbattery drain that is inevitable with computers, clocks, memory systems, etc... Drain the engine oil and coolant....this will keep them from deteriorating. Fill the gas tank COMPLETELY...this will prevent air and water from condensation getting into the fuel.
When you get back, put in fresh oil and a new filter, new anti-freeze, and recconnect the battery. Try to start it up on a fairly warm day, so the oil is flowing and you have minimal metal-to-metal contact from sitting. Crank the engine...the fuel pump will take a few seconds to pump up a charge of fuel, which will help get the engine turning without firing to get some oil circulating. When the engine catches, WATCH the red oil-light to make sure it goes out in a few seconds. Warm the engine up for a couple minutes, then shift the transmission lever through all the gears back-and-forth SLOWLY, drive slowly, and warm the transmission fluid up...hopefully the tranny seals won't be too dry. The engine may run and idle erratically for a few days until the computer re-sets itself, and, of course, you may have to reset memory systems like radio, seats, etc...

OR, if you don't want to go through all that, the next-best thing is to put in full-synthetic oil, leave the keys with a trusted friend, test the anti-freeze for a Wisconsin winter (typically down to -20 to -25 or so at its coldest during an average year) and about once a week or so, have a friend start it up, warm it up slowly and drive it for a few miles.....enough to get the temp needle in the middle. Make sure to run the A/C compressor for a few minutes each time it is driven....heat can be mixed in so the driver doesn't freeze. This will keep the compressor lubed.
Also, try to have it driven on days when the roads don't have much salt and sand on them, for obvious reasons....it gets too damn cold up there to wash it off. And a lot of IS300's aren't worth a damn in the snow anyway without winter tires.

Good luck
Old 12-08-04, 06:42 AM
gmackmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch mmarshall, I will still be in milwaukee so I will be able to do the second half of your recommendation. the gargage is a under the condo so I think it is a little warmer than a lone outside garage but not heated.
thanks again
G