Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Dash reflection fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 01:15 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dash reflection fix?

Anyone find a good way to reduce the awful reflection on sunny days? I have yet to clean my dash in hopes less shiney=less reflective but its still pretty bad at times!
Old 09-11-13, 08:48 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

One way you might be able to try is to wear polarized sunglasses. I don't notice it at all when I drive with glasses. I'm more concentrated on the road though, so I can't tell ya.

To prevent this in the future, I would wipe down the dash with some good conditioner/cleaner, and recoat it with mink oil. Mink oil is probably the least reflective (and may be the most expensive) solution to these problems.
Old 09-13-13, 06:04 AM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, thanks for the idea. Any reqs on a good conditioner/cleaner?
Old 09-13-13, 12:30 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Einszett Cockpit Premium cleaner. Does not leave a gloss finish but there is still a reflection. Polarized sunglasses are the way to go...reflection completely disappears.
Old 09-14-13, 09:00 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rhwimmers
Nice, thanks for the idea. Any reqs on a good conditioner/cleaner?
Sure thing....

http://www.autogeek.net/interior.html

I follow in autogeek's guides because they've been nothing but help to me when I've done exterior work. I'm not as well educated on interior work, but I've been told mink oil is good for interiors and leaves a more matte finish. In this guide, they recommend using Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber cleaner... Pinnacle is a top shelf brand product, so they work darn well for what is claimed! They're also right on par with the 303 Aerospace protectant, the biggest factor when using cleaners is the UV protection. UV light literally degrades and fades all things in and on your car, then there's the heat after that... dissipating all the lubricating properties from your interior. Either way that's a great guide, and as you can read, there's no oily residue so there's no shiny finish on the interior. GL OP!

Originally Posted by patricksr5
I use Einszett Cockpit Premium cleaner. Does not leave a gloss finish but there is still a reflection. Polarized sunglasses are the way to go...reflection completely disappears.
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html

Here's the link to OP, it's a great cleaner too! Just need the UV protectant to add to this bottle.