Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

New Lexus RX 450h Owner - A question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 10:49 AM
virtualguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus RX 450h Owner - A question...

Good morning everyone!

Love the forum and have been lurking for a while...

I recently bought my father's 2010 Lexus RX 450h with 20,000KM on it and every extended warranty imaginable for an incredibly low price which allowed us to become proud new Lexus owners.

We recently took a highway trip to a conference I was speaking at and upon getting up to highway speeds, we noticed a pretty substantial high pitch whine coming from the vehicle. At first we thought it was the hybrid drive system, but it occurred regardless of gas/electric or combined.

Any ideas what it could be? My father wears hearing aids so he is unable to hear it but both my wife and I notice it and it's quite uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions!

~Make it a great day!
Old 05-07-12, 11:58 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric motors, and regenerative braking. I have friends complaining about the same noise you are describing on their hybrids, but it isn't that loud on mine, so I guess it's a hit or miss thing.
Old 05-07-12, 12:34 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by virtualguy
Good morning everyone!

Love the forum and have been lurking for a while...

I recently bought my father's 2010 Lexus RX 450h with 20,000KM on it and every extended warranty imaginable for an incredibly low price which allowed us to become proud new Lexus owners.

We recently took a highway trip to a conference I was speaking at and upon getting up to highway speeds, we noticed a pretty substantial high pitch whine coming from the vehicle. At first we thought it was the hybrid drive system, but it occurred regardless of gas/electric or combined.

Any ideas what it could be? My father wears hearing aids so he is unable to hear it but both my wife and I notice it and it's quite uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions!

~Make it a great day!
Welcome aboard.

Did you have Dunlop tires? Check your PSI to make it is not to much. I have the same problem with noise as well. Good luck and get back to us about what you found.
Old 05-07-12, 06:22 PM
Traveler1
Driver School Candidate

Hello! - My RX450h also whines approaching mainline at highway, caused by "gear" setting, to get higher power to accelerate. So RPM (gas engine) reaches 2,500-3,000. User manual (Japanese version) says the car navigation system and the back monitor checks if the car is on the approach. If so, you can cancel the function, or, set your shift **** to S4 or S5 on approaching.
Old 05-08-12, 07:57 AM
virtualguy
Driver School Candidate

Good morning all,

Thanks very much for the feedback, I appreciate it.

I checked the tries, they are Michellin and it does not sound to me like road noise, it's a high pitched whine that get's noticeably higher and louder the faster you go. All tires are registering between 36-38PSI depending on the length of time the vehicle has been operating.

I will look into the Nav suggestion and see what results that produces, but it almost appears to be a fault in the grounding somewhere.

Again, thank you very much for the feedback, I'll follow up with any other information.

~Make it a great day!
Old 06-29-12, 09:30 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on the RX450h