Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Mileage difference in Power/Normal/Snow Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 09:53 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mileage difference in Power/Normal/Snow Mode

Anyone done any experimenting with this?

Does the low torque snow mode yield more MPG? How much MPG does power mode cost.

Any issue with driving around in snow mode all of the time?
Old 04-12-12, 04:36 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I havent used snow mode but when in sport mode I seem to get better gas mileage than in normal mode could be the fact that I rarely keep it in normal.
Old 04-12-12, 08:41 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

All that button does is change the algorithm to the throttle control computer from your foot.
Old 06-02-12, 06:08 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
All that button does is change the algorithm to the throttle control computer from your foot.
Which increases throttle response which increases gas flow to provide sharper revs. This should use more gas.
Old 06-02-12, 09:41 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Agreed! I've always thought the snow mode slipped up the traction on your trans though, always wondered how that worked! Now I do thanks to neuro!
Old 06-02-12, 09:50 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by L8Apex
Which increases throttle response which increases gas flow to provide sharper revs. This should use more gas.
Which changes how much you have to hit the gas to produce the desired effect.

Say normal mode is 50/50 Pressing the pedal half way (50%) down will give you half (50%) throttle. In sport mode, you would get the response of (50%) power but at only (30%) pedal.
Numbers are just in general.

You pedal the car as needed or desired. You would use the same amount of gas either way. You just have to press the pedal down further one way over the other.

Its not like a turbine that needs percentages of throttle to create momentum.
Old 06-11-12, 01:48 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

"You pedal the car as needed or desired. You would use the same amount of gas either way."

Not always the case when dealing with Hybrid technology. The driving mode alters the air fuel delivery.
eg: the Prius in standard mode will only sip fuel for the ICE and rely heavy on the elec motor. Therefore you ease up to 50MPh even if you depress the throttle 70%. Your still moving rather easy. But while in sport or power (or what ever its called) the prius uses more of the ICE and therefore uses more gas.

Our Cars are similar, but to be honest, I find the software isn't as good. if you switch your screen to the MPG display and make it your goal to hover around 30MPG, it's difficult to do in any setting. This isn't the case with the Camry h/Prius or CT. When in sport, our throttle is very very sensitive, 10% is all you need (meaning the mapping is not fuel friendly). However the electric motors come on easier in sport mode, so your getting a good mix of elec torque which saves gas. Its as if both settings were made for performance. From what i've noticed. Norm mode focuses on regenerating the battery so the car doesn't free roll. In sport the car rolls easier when I'm off the throttle

So it's no surprise the new gen4h with updated software gets around 34MPG using the same engine.

Last edited by L8Apex; 06-12-12 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 05:12 AM
hdlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500-570kms on normal out of full tank.

450-500 kms on sports mode
Old 09-06-12, 04:37 PM
xxWarderxx
Driver School Candidate

"So it's no surprise the new gen4h with updated software gets around 34MPG using the same engine.
So, this may be a frequently asked, abused question, but could this possibly mean the 3GS 450H is a software change away from realizing increased fuel efficiency while maintaining performance? I'm sure it's much more complicated than that, just throwing it out there.
Old 09-06-12, 05:42 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

So it's no surprise the new gen4h with updated software gets around 34MPG using the same engine.
Only.... Its NOT the same engine. 3GSh cars run a normal 4stroke cycle (Otto Cycle). 4GSh runs an Atkinson Cycle.

The Atkinson (Prius style) motor gets way better MPG, but has less power. So the new GS will save more gas. But the old GSh's will kill it to 0-130mph.
Old 09-17-12, 10:48 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neurocity
Only.... Its NOT the same engine. 3GSh cars run a normal 4stroke cycle (Otto Cycle). 4GSh runs an Atkinson Cycle.
True, the compression is completely different.

Before I purchased my 3GH I read, or more likely was told by a slaesman, that the engine will remain the same for the 4th Gen hybrid.
Old 09-18-12, 06:28 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

True, the compression is completely different.

Before I purchased my 3GH I read, or more likely was told by a slaesman, that the engine will remain the same for the 4th Gen hybrid.
I was told by a salesman that the 4GS will out corner a IS350.
Old 09-22-12, 11:55 AM
MnGs3xx
Driver

Snow mode will start you in second gear so there's less torque for taking off in slippery conditions and power mode it up shifts later and down shifts earlier on throttle response, gas mileage depends on how you drive I like power mode because of the type of driving I do it's about 65% highway and the rest city
Old 09-22-12, 07:24 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

I've owned the car almost a year now and have never driven with it in power mode. I only toggle between sport and norm.

So, If I put it in sport and activate power... Hmmmmm?
Old 09-27-12, 01:25 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I have it feels a little more responsive but not so much you say this is amazing. If that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Mileage difference in Power/Normal/Snow Mode