Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

New 2012 RX 450h Owners - Great Experience So Far

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 09:52 AM
V1VrV2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New 2012 RX 450h Owners - Great Experience So Far

Hello all! We recently joined the RX Hybrid community with the purchase of an AWD 2012 Nebula Grey Pearl RX450h. My wife is the primary driver but I've been enjoying our first Lexus immensely. We took delivery on 11/25 and worked through Stevinson Lexus of Frederick, CO - a fantastic dealer experience, by the way! Initially, we didn't intend to get the Lexus, let alone the hybrid model, but after driving them we were quickly on board.

Our current vehicles are a VW Jetta and a VW Passat, so, we were also strongly considering the 2012 Touareg TDI. While, in my opinion (one not shared by my wife, I might add), the aesthetics of the Touareg and the performance of the TDI engine outmatched the RX, we quickly came around to the idea of the Lexus after comparing "real world" reliability data from truedelta.com. Additionally, the fact that the Touareg missed some basic features - rear view camera and a system similar to Lexus Enform, to name a couple - were some serious strikes against it. I've also previously owned two BMW's (3-series) and have an affinity toward that brand, so the X5 and X3 were contenders as well. But, both were quickly dismissed by "my better half" thanks to the warranty and maintenance experience/nightmare I had with both of my 3's.

In the end, the factor that gave Lexus the overwhelming edge was how we were treated at the dealership. Stevinson Lexus, and specifically, Jay Anderson, were nothing short of a joy to work with - no pressure, extremely accommodating, friendly, and helpful throughout our entire sales process and continue to to be after the sale. I suppose this is the "Lexus experience" we've heard so much about.

I've always been somewhat of a car nut and enjoy spending hours [somewhat obsessively] detailing my cars and making them look good -- This is easy with a new RX in the garage. It is definitely a great looking car!

Here are some photos I took of our newest addition:

Last edited by V1VrV2; 12-14-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 10:46 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Trevor, it is indeed a great looking car. And it's always good to hear of another great dealer experience. Most Lexus experiences I believe are just that. Unfortunately people usually express themselves about negative experiences before taking the time to login to a product board such as this and offer praise. But here you'll see a good amount of praise, customer satisfaction to a luxury car is the hallmark of Lexus.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your doing with it. Also this is a great source of knowledge if you can't figure something out.

I see you have the rails, you must have gotten the AWD, what option packages are normal in dealer inventory where you're located?

Welcome aboard. Great photos by the way.
Old 12-14-11, 11:26 AM
V1VrV2
Driver School Candidate

thanks Jim. I appreciate the welcome! This site was of great help to us while we were researching the RX before our purchase so I'm glad to be a part of it now that we're owners.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I see you have the rails, you must have gotten the AWD, what option packages are normal in dealer inventory where you're located?
Yep, AWD -- and funny you should ask, I just was pulling the package details off of the PDF from the dealer. It lists: Premium Package, Heated & Ventilated Driver/Passenger Front Seats, 12-speaker Premium Audio System, Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), Navigation System, XM NavTraffic, XM weather and XM radio, Intuitive Parking Assist, Transmission Cooler/Heavy Duty Alternator, Wood & Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel & Shifter, Cross Bars, Tow Hitch with Ball Mount, and Remote Engine Start
Old 12-14-11, 03:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

I second the welcome. The pictures look like they came from a brochure.

I'm sure the other vehicles you considered will be a distant memory in no time. The 450h has broad appeal with a nice combination of creature comforts and techie gadgets. I just hope you're able to drive it from time to time. And we have plenty of people here with OCD so you're in good company
Old 12-16-11, 06:26 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

Originally Posted by V1VrV2
thanks Jim. I appreciate the welcome! This site was of great help to us while we were researching the RX before our purchase so I'm glad to be a part of it now that we're owners.

Yep, AWD -- and funny you should ask, I just was pulling the package details off of the PDF from the dealer. It lists: Premium Package, Heated & Ventilated Driver/Passenger Front Seats, 12-speaker Premium Audio System, Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), Navigation System, XM NavTraffic, XM weather and XM radio, Intuitive Parking Assist, Transmission Cooler/Heavy Duty Alternator, Wood & Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel & Shifter, Cross Bars, Tow Hitch with Ball Mount, and Remote Engine Start

i just bought one two weeks ago as a Xmas day surprise for my wife... its been tough to own one and not drive it for these past two weeks... and i still have a week to go... i worked it out where theyre letting me use the big red bow and everything for e Xmas morning surprise... i have the same car as the ine aove except the AWD and heavy duty alternator.. add comfort package for the 3 driver seat memory, automatic lift gate, steering wheel moves out of the way when putting in park... its a magnificient vehicle, i cant wait to use ours!
Old 12-16-11, 07:48 AM
V1VrV2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TampaOwner
i just bought one two weeks ago as a Xmas day surprise for my wife... its been tough to own one and not drive it for these past two weeks... and i still have a week to go... i worked it out where theyre letting me use the big red bow and everything for e Xmas morning surprise... i have the same car as the ine aove except the AWD and heavy duty alternator.. add comfort package for the 3 driver seat memory, automatic lift gate, steering wheel moves out of the way when putting in park... its a magnificient vehicle, i cant wait to use ours!
Congrats on your purchase as well! - we joked about "borrowing" a bow but apparently the dealer allotment on spare bows was pretty slim here... ha!

The comfort package was certainly a must for us as well (somehow that got left out of my list) - Memory seats, in particular, were high on my priority list with a new vehicle since my wife, who is much shorter than I, tends to leave the seat in my Passat in a position where I nearly get stuck upon entering the vehicle!

Unrelated to the car but related to your forum handle, we recently moved from Tampa to here in Colorado. Can't say we missed it much in July - early October, but we're sure missing it now in December! It would be nice to cruise along Bayshore or over the Sunshine Skyway in our RX though - hope you get to enjoy that!
Old 12-16-11, 10:23 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

Congrats on your purchase as well! - we joked about "borrowing" a bow but apparently the dealer allotment on spare bows was pretty slim here... ha!

The comfort package was certainly a must for us as well (somehow that got left out of my list) - Memory seats, in particular, were high on my priority list with a new vehicle since my wife, who is much shorter than I, tends to leave the seat in my Passat in a position where I nearly get stuck upon entering the vehicle!

Unrelated to the car but related to your forum handle, we recently moved from Tampa to here in Colorado. Can't say we missed it much in July - early October, but we're sure missing it now in December! It would be nice to cruise along Bayshore or over the Sunshine Skyway in our RX though - hope you get to enjoy that!

small world... Tampa is great... i havent seen any other 2012 RX450s yet so if i see you, ill honk.. ill post pics of me on the Skyway. lol
Old 02-01-12, 04:48 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Just picked mine up from Lexus of Jacksonville last night!

I was going to post images but not after looking at yours!
Old 02-01-12, 12:04 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Just picked mine up from Lexus of Jacksonville last night!

I was going to post images but not after looking at yours!

Coward!!
Old 02-01-12, 02:47 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TampaOwner
small world... .... so if i see you, ill honk.. ill post pics of me on the Skyway. lol
Great! but for this you have to recognize a 2012 rx 450h from a current 2010 or 2011 one ! don't you?
I joke!
Old 02-01-12, 03:03 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello all! We recently joined the RX Hybrid community with the purchase of an AWD 2012 Nebula Grey Pearl RX450h. My wife is the primary driver but I've been enjoying our first Lexus immensely. We took delivery on 11/25 and worked through Stevinson Lexus of Frederick, CO - a fantastic dealer experience, by the way! Initially, we didn't intend to get the Lexus, let alone the hybrid model, but after driving them we were quickly on board.

Our current vehicles are a VW Jetta and a VW Passat, so, we were also strongly considering the 2012 Touareg TDI. While, in my opinion (one not shared by my wife, I might add), the aesthetics of the Touareg and the performance of the TDI engine outmatched the RX, we quickly came around to the idea of the Lexus after comparing "real world" reliability data from truedelta.com. Additionally, the fact that the Touareg missed some basic features - rear view camera and a system similar to Lexus Enform, to name a couple - were some serious strikes against it. I've also previously owned two BMW's (3-series) and have an affinity toward that brand, so the X5 and X3 were contenders as well. But, both were quickly dismissed by "my better half" thanks to the warranty and maintenance experience/nightmare I had with both of my 3's.

In the end, the factor that gave Lexus the overwhelming edge was how we were treated at the dealership. Stevinson Lexus, and specifically, Jay Anderson, were nothing short of a joy to work with - no pressure, extremely accommodating, friendly, and helpful throughout our entire sales process and continue to to be after the sale. I suppose this is the "Lexus experience" we've heard so much about.

I've always been somewhat of a car nut and enjoy spending hours [somewhat obsessively] detailing my cars and making them look good -- This is easy with a new RX in the garage. It is definitely a great looking car!

Here are some photos I took of our newest addition:

Excellent choice and welcome to the hybrid community and for having chosen not showing off with German cars and rather be more responsible for your environment.
TDI and other diesel have dramatically degraded environment in Europe (dust in cities particularly with fine particulates of carbon even with particulates filter, respiratory problem for those having weaknesses in that way and children particularly, noisy and a lot of black dust on buildings in cities expriencing dense traffic).
In addition, I do not understand why people ready to spend 60'000box are still looking for diesel for what kind of economy? (no ROI anyway) (in France diesel is more expensive than unleaded engine most of the time, maintenance more expensive, etc.). That's why I have decided to switch from diesel to unleaded engine with Lexus hybrid till a full electrical vehicule like Tesla (a new SUV is programmed for this year.
You will not regret and don't worry, driving a hybrid is a learning process and you will change your driving behavious compared to what you have experienced so far with VW.

Very nive pictures anyway!

I am surprised that the memory seats (3 positions) are an option in US (available in all version in France as it is in most SUV's and premium sedan's.
Take acer and have pleasure (your wife too)

Last edited by Alpy64; 02-01-12 at 03:36 PM.