Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Auxiliary Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 02:27 PM
SixTenWRV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary Battery Issues

I've browsed this forum for anyone experiencing the same issue I have and it seems to be quite common but figured to revisit the problem.

My auxiliary battery went dead after only three days of non-use. I jumped it, and drove around town for a little while (maybe 10 minutes and 5 miles) and then parked it. Went back later that same day to restart it and found the car would not start again.

I decided to take the car on a 100 mile, 2 hour trip on highway the next day to give the auxiliary battery a good charge - that was this morning. I just now went to start it again (8 hours later) and the battery is dead.

My question is, do you think my auxiliary battery is just plain shot and I need to replace it? Or do you think the auxiliary battery is not being charged properly from the traction battery indicating a potential problem with that link?
Old 10-07-10, 03:31 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SixTenWRV
I've browsed this forum for anyone experiencing the same issue I have and it seems to be quite common but figured to revisit the problem.

My auxiliary battery went dead after only three days of non-use. I jumped it, and drove around town for a little while (maybe 10 minutes and 5 miles) and then parked it. Went back later that same day to restart it and found the car would not start again.

I decided to take the car on a 100 mile, 2 hour trip on highway the next day to give the auxiliary battery a good charge - that was this morning. I just now went to start it again (8 hours later) and the battery is dead.

My question is, do you think my auxiliary battery is just plain shot and I need to replace it? Or do you think the auxiliary battery is not being charged properly from the traction battery indicating a potential problem with that link?
Sounds like a bad cell in the battery. Have it tested at any of the parts stores such as pep boys, etc.
Old 10-07-10, 09:55 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

how old is the battery?

it seems like the battery kicks the bucket 3~4 years in the RX...
Old 10-08-10, 07:03 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with the other two posts above, and I've been through a similar thing. Found that my auxilliary battery was going dead if I left the interior lights on for even five minutes. However, it could still start the car once boosted as long as I didn't leave any accessories on (lights, stereo). Finally took it to get tested and it was showing 170 CCA when it was supposed to be 450 CCA. Now CCA (cold cranking amps) doesn't matter for our cars as we don't have a starter motor, so there is no cranking, but it did indicate a fault internally with the battery (one or more bad cells). I replaced it and haven't had any problems since.

BTW, a bad battery can lead to all sorts of weirdness - master warning light / check AWD system / check hybrid system, Vehicle must be in park to start (even though it's in park) or not being able to turn the key in the ignition.

Last edited by rcy; 10-08-10 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-08-10, 08:50 AM
SixTenWRV
Driver School Candidate

The battery is about 4 years old now. I'll take it out today and have it tested.

Although now I have bigger problems in my lap. You know that 2 hour, 100 mile trip I mentioned in my original post well I had to run that same trip last night (Richmond, VA to Tysons Corner then Tysons Corner back home to Richmond).

I got my car jumped again by a good samaritan, made my way through 495 and the 95 south traffic before Quantico and continued crusing down 95. About 20 or so miles north of Richmond I was in the far left lane (3 lanes wide at that point on 95) about two cars back in a pack of cars traveling about 70 mph, speed limit is 65 (shame on me).

Before I know it the car in front of me brakes suddenly which I saw and reacted to but was not able to avoid what was going to happen next. The driver was braking because of a piece of plywood in the travel lane. The act of him running it over now kicks the piece of plywood in the air and is no longer flat on the road surface. At that point I had no option but to plow right into it, broad side of about a 4'x4' sqaure piece of plywood on the center and right hand side of the front bumper.

Luckily for the rest of the motorists I was generous enough to splinter the wood and render it harmless fro everyone else.

At this point the damage looks to be just cosmetic. The bumper is destroyed and unfortunately it caught some of my hood as well. I did notice windshield washer fluid leaking but I'll take that anyday over a busted radiator. The headlights are all off kilter as well but the headlight assemblies do not seem to be moved from their original position. I think maybe the lens were just knocked out of alignment but I hope it didn't break the adjustment parts as I assume those are expensive to replace. The adaptive lights seemed to move properly with my steering so that's a good sign.

I was lucky it wasn't worse than that. What really chaps my a$$ about the whole situation is not being able to hold anyone responsible for dropping debris in the roadway.
Old 10-08-10, 10:26 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

In Virginia they do the same thing here in Alabama who would have tunk it?