Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 08:42 AM
Rippo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance upgrades?

I recently sold my IS F and I'm looking around for a car that's a little bigger my 2 cars that I've narrowed it down to are the 450h and an M5. I was wondering if there's any mods with the car being a hybrid that can give it a bit more power I have read that it's a performance hybrid so it drives like a V8 being a hybrid6. Any info is helpful thanks

P.s. Yes the M5 is sick! V10 500hp but a GS is much more practical
Old 07-24-10, 03:37 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

it depends on how much value you place on performance. going from IS-F to GSh, there's no comparison, you will be disappointed (come on, IS-F has more grunt and kick that GSh). but only way to tell if GSh is right for you is to test drive and see if the power is adequate (and make sure you select power mode).

as for mods, you can get midpipe, catback exhaust, intake. headers are available, but not sure if they fit the GSh; assuming the headers fit, they are also illegal as you will fail emissions testing (no cat).

if you are brave enough and have deep pockets, you can be the first GSh owner to either supercharge, turbocharge, or hop up the hybrid powertrain (stronger electric motors, etc). but if you are going the s/c or t/c route, you maybe better off with a GS460 instead, as that is probably a better platform for doing those mods.

most mods available for the GS is the usual thing (wheels, drop, kit, and various other look nice goodies).

good luck with your choice.
Old 07-24-10, 04:26 PM
Rippo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info I'll keep looking into it. I've always been a fan of the GS cars and. Wonder how much those motors are to upgrade lol. How long does it take til your suppose to change out the old hybrid battery and is maintenance more exspensive than the regular GS 350/460?
Old 07-24-10, 10:10 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Rippo
Thanks for the info I'll keep looking into it. I've always been a fan of the GS cars and. Wonder how much those motors are to upgrade lol. How long does it take til your suppose to change out the old hybrid battery and is maintenance more exspensive than the regular GS 350/460?
hybrid powertrain is warrantied to 8 yrs, forget how many miles, you'll need to look it up on lexus website. i wouldn't worry about the hybrid powertrain (assuming no mods); there are alot of 1st and 2nd gen toyota priuses running around with original hybrid battery and still going strong. based on those observations, GS450h hybrid battery should last equally as long (same technology right?). you can always check the prius forums for more detailed info. link: http://priuschat.com/
Old 07-24-10, 11:57 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Hybrid GS! But if you are looking to compare it to an M5, you are comparing apples to oranges. If you want that much power and performance I dont think that the GS is the way to go. Why not compare a new body 5 series to the GS? or even a 550. I just feel like the M5 is taking it to another level and its not in the same class.

Id go with the M5 if I had to pick.
Old 07-25-10, 08:36 AM
Rippo
Driver School Candidate

My want"" is with the M5 but I've read alot of headaches I.E. A guy had to pull the motor out and rebuild the head for over revving all the time and that was 10Gs(whoa!!) so as I step back to reality I'd much rather get a 3GS. 08+ is there any difference when lowering the car or anything different from the 450h when adding mods VS compared to mods on 350/460? Basically is it the same or are there any complications due to it being a hybrid. Thanks guys

Also what are you guys averaging for mpg? Regular driving and agressive I was curious about that. Thanks

Last edited by Rippo; 07-25-10 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Na
Old 07-25-10, 07:00 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been in the same prediciment over the past couple of months. I was trying to decide between a 911 C4, an E55 AMG, and the GS450h. I ended up purchasing a GS450h a couple of weeks ago. Obviously, from a fun/power standpoint the other two won the battle, but when it comes to all over practicality and reliability the GS was a no brainer. I will say that I have not yet adapted to the feel of the GS. From a luxury and ammentity standpoint the car is phenomenal and actually has exceeded my expectations. From a performance perspective it's just different. I think the CVT is throwing me off the most. I will give it some time, and I'm sure that I'll get used to it. I have had my share of German cars, and I just wasn't ready to go back to the troubles.
Old 07-26-10, 09:50 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Rippo
My want"" is with the M5 but I've read alot of headaches I.E. A guy had to pull the motor out and rebuild the head for over revving all the time and that was 10Gs(whoa!!) so as I step back to reality I'd much rather get a 3GS. 08+ is there any difference when lowering the car or anything different from the 450h when adding mods VS compared to mods on 350/460? Basically is it the same or are there any complications due to it being a hybrid. Thanks guys

Also what are you guys averaging for mpg? Regular driving and agressive I was curious about that. Thanks
if the mods fit a GS350 RWD, it should fit the GS450h (i would say 95% of the time).

mileage, it really depends on your driving style. if you like to gun it all the time, you are not going to get decent mileage. for city driving, i get around 475 km for a full tank (i fill up at red line usually). that's with some aggressive driving but mainly bumper to bumper traffic.

edit: remembered incorrectly, not 400 KM, but 475 KM for a full tank.

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-05-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 05:21 AM
Rippo
Driver School Candidate

Does anybody know what 440km= in mileage?? I do drive a little aggressive but it's not rediculous but a general idea of averages from people would be good to know. Or maybe just settle for a 350 instead
Old 08-05-10, 03:43 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

475 KM is approx 295 miles.