Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h vs LS460

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 07:08 AM
rainforest
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS450h vs LS460

So who here thinks they made a mistake by buying the GS450h instead of the slightly more expensive LS460? Any thoughts? The top of the line comes at only a slight premium.
Old 10-31-06, 08:33 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

The top of the line is a lot smoother. Who wants a smoother car when they want a sportier car a la the GS.

So who here thinks they made a mistake buying the GS when the M3 is slightly less expensive.
Old 10-31-06, 09:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

different cars, there is no mistake or not. the gs450h is sportier, faster, and better handling. the ls460 is harger, smoother, more space, and more luxurious

depends on what you want

"top of the line" doesn't bring you anything if it doesn't satisfy your passion of driving
Old 10-31-06, 09:41 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

I'm only 33!!
I'm not old enough to drive LS460, yet!
Old 10-31-06, 09:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
different cars, there is no mistake or not. the gs450h is sportier, faster, and better handling. the ls460 is harger, smoother, more space, and more luxurious

depends on what you want

"top of the line" doesn't bring you anything if it doesn't satisfy your passion of driving
I agree, & also the LS460 is not just slightly more expensive than the GS450h. It's like C$12K more for even a base LS460, & I would never be happy with a base LS460.
If you go for the top of the line flagship, it might as well be the LS460L IMHO. Other than more spacious rear seats & addition standard equipment, I think the LWB version looks nicer too, & that version is almost C$100K without additional options, C$110K loaded, & C$122K loaded with executive package.
Old 10-31-06, 10:05 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

I bet the GS450h sells for over the MSRP, but nonetheless it's priced cheaper than a GS430. And if you option in everything that comes standard with it on a GS300, it's even cheaper than that. Not to mention the tax rebates.

The real question is GS450h or GS430.
Old 10-31-06, 10:30 AM
wavesonic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lubs
I bet the GS450h sells for over the MSRP, but nonetheless it's priced cheaper than a GS430. And if you option in everything that comes standard with it on a GS300, it's even cheaper than that. Not to mention the tax rebates.

The real question is GS450h or GS430.
I picked up my GS450h last Friday from a dealer in Vancouver, Canada. I think I made the wise choice. I am 27 years old, and a LS460 just seem to be too much of a car that my dad drives, personally.

With GS430, the manager from the dealership told me that there's a 13k Cdn rebate on the 06 GS430s fully loaded on the lot, which makes it cheaper than GS450h. But I already have a V8 engine car, getting another one is just not too tempting. Besides, a lot of my friends drive hybrids like RX400h, Camery Hybrids and I just want to be part of the family.
Old 10-31-06, 01:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rainforest
So who here thinks they made a mistake by buying the GS450h instead of the slightly more expensive LS460? Any thoughts? The top of the line comes at only a slight premium.
similary equipped GS450h and LS460 have pretty big difference between them - at least 10k.
Old 10-31-06, 01:16 PM
rainforest
Rookie

I'm also from Vancouver Canada, and I own the GS450h. But my dealer just faxed me the price list for the LS460, and for only $15k more, it seems like you get a lot more car and lot more deluxe features. I agree with everybody about the sportier personality of the GS, and the fact that it looks like you're driving your dad's car, but it just doesn't seem like a lot more for the top of the line model. As a young person, the GS also seems more suitable.

In Canada, the LS with navigation costs $92k, whereas the GS sells for about $76k when you take into account the $2000 hybrid tax credit.

Wavesonic: how you like the car so far? I placed my review in your original thread with the pics of your Benz.
Old 10-31-06, 01:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GS450h just doesn't make sense to me. Its performance is no better than the GS350 and it will get eaten alive when the GS460 comes out - OK it will get a little better gas mileage than either of those other two, but really, the difference is pretty small and if you're spending that much on a car like this, a few MPG difference probably won't be something your wallet ever notices.

Add to that the almost guaranteed added cost of ownership in the later years including replacing or rebuilding the electric motor, batteries, etc, etc...

I just don't get it. Worse yet is the RX400h now side by side with the RX350.

With that said I think the #1 thing that might keep me from going to the LS460 from the GS460 is that on the LS there is no AVS unless you go with the more expensive and even heavier/larger long wheelbase version. The GS460 on the other hand will have AVS standard as well as I think some sort of dynamic roll bars as well, right?
Old 10-31-06, 01:31 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

I'm also from Vancouver Canada, and I own the GS450h. But my dealer just faxed me the price list for the LS460, and for only $15k more, it seems like you get a lot more car and lot more deluxe features. I agree with everybody about the sportier personality of the GS, and the fact that it looks like you're driving your dad's car, but it just doesn't seem like a lot more for the top of the line model. As a young person, the GS also seems more suitable.

In Canada, the LS with navigation costs $92k, whereas the GS sells for about $76k when you take into account the $2000 hybrid tax credit.

Wavesonic: how you like the car so far? I placed my review in your original thread with the pics of your Benz.
I like the GS450h overall, it's nice, quiet and comfort, however I do agree with you on the head room, the head room is as limited as my 06 CLS which is something I am already getting used to. I don't mind about the engine sound when accelerate really hard, but I do mind the limited space in the trunk, it's soooooo tiny and the interior lighting is also dim at night, I need to memorize where the buttons are. And last night, I just noticed that the frigging seat memory buttons are not lighting up at all when I was driving around. Maybe I need to go back to the dealership and ask them to give me a Lexus flashlight just in case I need it at night.

Other than that, it's a perfect vehicle and my friend who owns a E500 was giving me compliment about the car after sitting in it. I have performed the DVD/BT bypass and adjust my low beam (aimed too low) last night, so its more addicting to drive around.
Old 10-31-06, 02:55 PM
rainforest
Rookie

Threxx: Actually, the gas mileage is quite impressive. I also own a 4 cylinder 1999 Honda Accord, and my GS gets better mileage. I get 11 litres/100km on my GS so far in the city - that's a pretty good figure. But you'll have to figure out how to convert that into mpg. Furthermore, us West coast people like the environmentally friendly aspect of the hybrid, and the fact that the car is silent during idle. And on top of that, a lot of people are fascinated by the whole hybrid concept, including the fancy displays in the car. You don't know how many people who sit in my car are amazed by it!

Wave: How did you do the DVD bypass? The instructions look scary, having to take out the dash and cut all these wires. Weren't you concerned about damaging the car? Maybe you can help me with the bypass on my car. Was it difficult?
Old 10-31-06, 02:57 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Threxx: Actually, the gas mileage is quite impressive. I also own a 4 cylinder 1999 Honda Accord, and my GS gets better mileage. I get 11 litres/100km on my GS so far in the city - that's a pretty good figure. But you'll have to figure out how to convert that into mpg. Furthermore, us West coast people like the environmentally friendly aspect of the hybrid, and the fact that the car is silent during idle. And on top of that, a lot of people are fascinated by the whole hybrid concept, including the fancy displays in the car. You don't know how many people who sit in my car are amazed by it!

Wave: How did you do the DVD bypass? The instructions look scary, having to take out the dash and cut all these wires. Weren't you concerned about damaging the car? Maybe you can help me with the bypass on my car. Was it difficult?
I just followed the DIY instructions and one wire is different on 450h than the 06 model GS's. I do have to take apart of the entire dash board, it's not too bad, I completed it within 30 mins. I can give u a hand if u need help.

It does sound scary to perform a major 'surgery' on a 3-day old car, but it's not bad at all comparing with modding my xbox which I had to solder 13 wires on the circuit board.

Last edited by wavesonic; 10-31-06 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 04:06 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I absolutely love the LS460, but I feel it is too much of an "old man"
car for anyone younger than 40.

On the other hand, it's always nice to drive THE flagship
Old 10-31-06, 04:35 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"The GS450h just doesn't make sense to me. Its performance is no better than the GS350"

I do not think a GS350 is as quick as the GS450H which has about 40 horsepower more.

Quick Reply: GS450h vs LS460