Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Turbo Charged?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 04:25 PM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Charged?

I'm looking to buy either a RX 350, or RX 400 H. Are either of these engines turbo charged like the RX 300, and what kind of performance could you get out of them if your turbo charged it?
Old 06-28-06, 06:16 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toobad the rx300 isnt turbo.............................. neither car you speak of is or will be turbocharged from the factory
Old 06-29-06, 12:25 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heck, the only turbocharged Toyota left is the Caldina.
Old 06-29-06, 03:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

The transmission would be my biggest worry. I don´t know how much Lexus improved these suckers after the RX300 debacle with transmissions (and I have a theory on that debacle).

I plan to do an RX300 turbo in the future, but I need headers and also a transmission upgrade or improvement (which is possible).
Old 06-30-06, 09:44 AM
KeepDaBeat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Lexmex. At least someone knows that you can turbo charge the RX 300. Oh, by the way, I saw you're RX 300 on car domain, looks very nice. I have a 2001 RX 300, stock. I'm putting in a new sound system right now, but I really want to improve the performance. So, I'm also adding a Weapon-R Secret Weapon Intake, and a cold air box. What else should I do?

Oh, and I'd really like to put a full cat back exhaust in, but I can't find any. I know everyone reccomends this RMM exhaust, but that would just look terrible on a RX!
Old 06-30-06, 11:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

First, the exhaust. Key thing for power is to make sure it is direct flow...the OEM one is definitely not. The RMM is a very good exhaust. I once used an APC (the are some good models of it as opposed to the cheap ones). The key for me was not only that but straightening out the pipe as much as possible, from the resonator to that muffler you saw in the pictures and at the same time widening out the pipe. You will get much more power this way and through any intake.

If I remember my regulations correctly, I do not remember that you have emissions testing in Iowa. A high flow cat, like the one from Magnaflow, will also help out, but the first thing again that must be done is that the muffler must be direct flow.

The Weapon-R intake is not a bad start along with the cold air box, but to take the real advantage of this unit, you need the ram air setup that I or TunedRX300 have, and the easiest way to start on thisis to remove that air resonator you may have seen on my site or in other posts. Then, it can take in cooler air from two different inlets. At sea level, you should have no problem, but at high altitude where I live, I do not run an air filter...it really is that bad up here.

My main recommendations:
Optima Red Top Battery (do this even before stuff like TorqueMaster plugs, Hypervoltage/Hyperground systems from Sun)
Crankshaft pulley (there is a company called Sportivo Concepts that is about to offer a group of 3 pullies (similar to those provided by Unorthodox Racing) to the Solara owners, since the Underdog Racing Development pulley is no longer made, though I know some Solara owners who are pleading to remanufacture them). Do not worry about the Solara, the 1MZFE engine uses the same exact pulley. I was the original guinea pig so you should have no problem
TRD Thermostat (are friends at L-Tuned parts sell this, bit of a pain to put in, but if you do this and add about 2 bottles of Redline Waterwetter, your car will run really cool and the performance shows).

Once Megan Racing is done with their 1MZFE headers, I plan to pick those up and test them on the RX before everyone throws down their $$$.