HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Heads-up Display

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 01:17 AM
PinkyB69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads-up Display

I own a HS250h and I love all the features on this car. I didn't purchase it new and was considering adding the Heads-up Display. Anyone have this feature care to tell me if it's worth the investment after market? Is it easy to use?
Old 07-19-12, 03:45 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how the aftermarket unit would work but I find it very convenient on my wife's HS. not only it shows the speed, also the buttons I'm "touching" on the steering wheel & the turn by turn direction from nav as well. I only wish it can go brighter or change color at least, it gets washed out during a super bright sunny days. I can take a picture if your interested to see it.
Old 07-19-12, 07:55 PM
PinkyB69
Driver School Candidate

Default RE: Heads-up Display

Originally Posted by kyo7878
I'm not sure how the aftermarket unit would work but I find it very convenient on my wife's HS. not only it shows the speed, also the buttons I'm "touching" on the steering wheel & the turn by turn direction from nav as well. I only wish it can go brighter or change color at least, it gets washed out during a super bright sunny days. I can take a picture if your interested to see it.

I wouldn't want to put you through any extra trouble. I appreciate the response. Is the HUD visible at all during the day? I'm going to inquire about having it added since I know they're not making our model anymore, it can only help to have all the bells and whistles on the car. Do you have any other added features you can recommend? Do you have the front camera? I love my car so much I want to drive it just to play with the buttons. I can say that people admired my ES 350 but the HS250h is an attention grabber if for no other reason, because there's so few of them on the road.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.
Old 07-19-12, 08:54 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PinkyB69
I wouldn't want to put you through any extra trouble. I appreciate the response. Is the HUD visible at all during the day? I'm going to inquire about having it added since I know they're not making our model anymore, it can only help to have all the bells and whistles on the car. Do you have any other added features you can recommend? Do you have the front camera? I love my car so much I want to drive it just to play with the buttons. I can say that people admired my ES 350 but the HS250h is an attention grabber if for no other reason, because there's so few of them on the road.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.
there is no trouble really and that's what the forum is for, isn't it
HUD is visible during the day. The only drawback is the white display color doesn't stand out as much during a sunny day, but it sure looks awesome at night

my car have front camera, lane keep assist, radar cruise control and driver alert thingy. Honestly I think only HUD is worth adding, rest of the features I have played for a few times then never touched it again... I even forgot it has a front camera till you mentioned it.

Last edited by kyo7878; 07-19-12 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-22-12, 09:58 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be virtually impossible to add HUD. The cost would be outrageous.

At the very first you would have to start with a new dash as the HUD projector is there.
Old 07-23-12, 08:24 AM
PinkyB69
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus on Friday and discovered that TheAirman is right. It's a factory install option only. So I guess I will have to live without it. I still love my car. I just won't ever be able to play with the HUD option.
Old 07-23-12, 08:25 AM
PinkyB69
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kyo7878
there is no trouble really and that's what the forum is for, isn't it
HUD is visible during the day. The only drawback is the white display color doesn't stand out as much during a sunny day, but it sure looks awesome at night

my car have front camera, lane keep assist, radar cruise control and driver alert thingy. Honestly I think only HUD is worth adding, rest of the features I have played for a few times then never touched it again... I even forgot it has a front camera till you mentioned it.
Would you mind taking a picture at night? I just want to see what I'm missing. It seems like such a cool feature.
Old 07-23-12, 09:38 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's 2 quick ones. It also shows you the radio volume and the NAV directions too.

The second picture is the touch tracer. It tells you what your fingers are touching on the steering wheel controls.
Attached Thumbnails Heads-up Display-100_0971-medium-.jpg   Heads-up Display-100_0972-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-24-12, 06:06 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

sry for the phone pic.. Dave's got much better pic lol

Last edited by kyo7878; 07-24-12 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-26-12, 09:14 PM
PinkyB69
Driver School Candidate

kyo7878 I'm so jealous! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm so bummed I will never be able to have that feature.
Old 07-27-12, 06:20 AM
skywise
Rookie

It was never an option up in Canada <sigh>
Will have to hunt in the US for a fully loaded used HS.
Old 07-27-12, 10:58 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PinkyB69
kyo7878 I'm so jealous! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm so bummed I will never be able to have that feature.
Originally Posted by skywise
It was never an option up in Canada <sigh>
Will have to hunt in the US for a fully loaded used HS.
There is actually aftermarket HUD device you can purchase, just google aftermarket HUD or check out some videos on YouTube.
Old 08-01-12, 04:18 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had the HS with HUD for the past 2 years and my wife refuses to buy a car without that option, along with dynamic cruise control. Lane keep assist isn't that great, front camera is definitely worthless, I think I used it a hand full of times and even if you do the option to turn it on whenever you're going slow, it gets in the way more than helping. Also, having the front camera takes away the proximity sensors from the front middle of the car where the camera is, so the car doesn't beep anymore, I have to turn the camera on by pushing the button and it's not as accurate cause the camera is a fisheye camera and hard to judge distance, my old GS with the sensors was easier and faster, they should still keep the sensors with the camera.

Back to the HUD, my wife refuses to buy another car without it, because it does make a big difference in safety. There's no reason to ever look down at your dash and your eyes stay on the road the whole time or at least it stays on the road way longer than if you didn't have a HUD. It's very noticeable for us because our other car doesn't have a HUD and it's obvious you have to take your eyes off the road for a longer time. That split second that you take your eyes off the road can make a break a dangerous situation. Obviously, not a lot of cars have the HUD, so it is a luxury safety feature.
Old 08-04-12, 06:01 PM
PinkyB69
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that moolman, I will remain envious of your HUD LOL
Old 08-14-12, 06:39 PM
LexFather

We have it too, great feature and not sure if any other car in this price range that offers it and some of the other tech the HS has optional in our car.

Quick Reply: Heads-up Display