HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Need MUD GUARDS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 04:36 PM
macko1944
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need MUD GUARDS

I have an HS250h 2010 model.Because it rains a lot here in Vancouver(Canada),the back of my car is always full of a lot of dirt,mud,including it covering the backup camera,and it is a drag to open the trunk,my hand is always so dirty after it.So I called the service,but was told,that mud guards are NOT AVAILABLE for this model.Can anybody help with advice?Is there any solution to this annoying problem?
Thanks very much!
Old 02-02-12, 05:24 PM
sublexus
Rookie

Macko, I think this complaint came up about a year ago and I don't remember a solution being suggested. I have the same problem and it doesn't take much rain to mess it up!
Old 02-03-12, 03:08 PM
macko1944
Driver School Candidate

Default Mud guard

I wrote to Lexus.ca.They directed me to the service manager.I did speak to service,they had NO solution.I shall try the "manager"again.If they have one,will communicate .
Old 02-03-12, 03:22 PM
macko1944
Driver School Candidate

Just contacted the manager.Not only there is no solution to this muddy problem,but he suggested that the mud comes not from the tires-so mud guard wouldn't solve the problem-but the wind properties of the body,that direct the muddy water to the back side.Apparently,on some SUV-s they put an extra device ON TOP of the car,which directs the wind downward,so that our problem doesn't happen with that model.No such device is available for the HS250 and it would be much too expensive to specially have it made!So,it seems,we just have to grin and bear it!
Old 02-04-12, 12:21 PM
sublexus
Rookie

As much as I love almost every aspect of our HS250h, when I face the rear dead-on, I'm not entirely pleased with the styling of it. I've never been a fan of rear spoilers and I've wondered how ours would look with the spoiler removed. I haven't done it yet because we get great gas mileage and I suspect it would decrease as a result. However, if removing the spoiler would help alleviate the dirt problem, it may be worth it. Of course, it could make the problem worse! When I'm feeling more ambitious, I may give it a temporary try. I haven't really looked at how it's mounted and how hard it would be to remove it temporarily. Anyway, thanks for the update.

Speaking of updates, it's a shame the HS250h forum is so inactive. I participate in two other auto forums and they are both very interesting and helpful. I suspect as our models get older and dealer support becomes less, we'll have to participate more just to keep our cars running! Take care.
Old 02-04-12, 04:49 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A search of the Japanese parts and accessories sites and the American parts and accessory sites, I found no mud flaps for the HS. They do have in Japan, a rear window spoiler that looks really nice and it mounts at the top of the rear window, just below the shark fin antenna. I wonder if this would help?

Every car I've owned has had this problem of the rear getting dirtier than the rest of the car. Its caused by the negative pressure zone at the rear because of aerodynamics, and I don't think the rear spoiler has much to do with it because I don't have the rear spoiler and mine gets the dirtiest in the rear first also.

And speaking of opening the trunk in the rain. This is about the only negative thing I found out about my HS so far. I've learned to only open the trunk lid about half way after a rain because if you don't, the rain drops drip into the trunk from the lower edge of the trunk lid when it's fully opened.
Old 02-04-12, 05:11 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sublexus
As much as I love almost every aspect of our HS250h, when I face the rear dead-on, I'm not entirely pleased with the styling of it. I've never been a fan of rear spoilers and I've wondered how ours would look with the spoiler removed. I haven't done it yet because we get great gas mileage and I suspect it would decrease as a result. However, if removing the spoiler would help alleviate the dirt problem, it may be worth it. Of course, it could make the problem worse! When I'm feeling more ambitious, I may give it a temporary try. I haven't really looked at how it's mounted and how hard it would be to remove it temporarily. Anyway, thanks for the update.

Speaking of updates, it's a shame the HS250h forum is so inactive. I participate in two other auto forums and they are both very interesting and helpful. I suspect as our models get older and dealer support becomes less, we'll have to participate more just to keep our cars running! Take care.

You wanted to remove the spoiler? Here's the way to do it. Looks like it has double sided tape along with holes drilled into the trunk lid, so long term removal might not be an option.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Spoiler.pdf (247.9 KB, 262 views)
Old 02-05-12, 04:20 PM
sublexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheAirman
...I don't have the rear spoiler and mine gets the dirtiest in the rear first also.
Thanks for the info, Airman. Saved me some useless work!
Old 02-06-12, 11:00 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sublexus
While I also wish the forum was more active, the activity level likely reflects the small number of HSs sold in N. America. According to Wikipedia, Lexus sold just over 20,000 HS250h in the US from 2009-2011. I haven't found HS sales in Canada, but it probably is only a couple of thousand. By comparison, total sales of the Toyota Prius (Gen 1, 2, and 3) in the US reached 1 million early in 2011. In other words, in N. America there are roughly 50 Prii owners for every HS owner.

What kinds of things get discussed on car forums? Vehicle problems, aftermarket accessories, recalls, purchase and service experiences, modifications, etc. The HS seems to be pretty trouble free (a good thing), there are very few accessories available (in North America), there was only one recall (also a good thing), etc., etc. Basically, there have been fewer issues to discuss in this forum and fewer owners to get involved in the discussion.
Old 02-06-12, 05:37 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Jay,

I agree with your post. It was right on the money.

But want to see the traffic on the HS forum (and the CT forum) double in no time?

Just wait until gas hit the magic, psychological number of $4.00 per gallon. People will snap up the HS until there is no more available just like they did last time it hit that number. There's something about that number that make people make the change. $3.85 per gallon seems OK to most, but when it hits $4.00, people trade in their gas guzzlers in droves.

And with the latest rumblings in Iran, I fear it will be sooner than later.
Old 02-06-12, 07:52 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Problem is, there won't be any of them here to sell. They are scarcer than hen's teeth.

And I have the problem with the back of the car getting dirty as well - especially the area right below the trunk. Must be some air vortex or something that brings all the crud to that area.
Old 02-07-12, 10:02 AM
JT29
Driver School Candidate

I posted about this issue before. In speaking with 2 dealerships, one of the technicians told me that it was a design flaw on the part of the HS. Lexus rushed it to market in light of the 2008 and 2009 sudden demand (gas prices) for hybrids.

The rear is a result of the lip spoiler and lack of rear mud guards. The lip spoiler apparently keeps some of the water splash from going up in the air and instead traps some of it down in that trunk area. If you removed the rear lip spoiler, it will be less dirty. However, the suggestion that I got was to try and find mud guards because that would help a lot more. To this date, I haven't found any and have given up.
Old 02-13-12, 02:23 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a cure but it helps. A lot of the dirt builds up on top of my rear bumper. The best solution I've found is when washing your car, clean out the channel along the perimeter of the trunk. Lots of dirt/rubbish builds up in this track. I also apply strong water pressure between the rear spoiler and trunk to clean out the dirt that seems to get trapped there as well. I'm guessing a lot of dirt flows down with the rain water from the roof/rear window into the trunk channel and from the trunk lid under the spoiler and gets trap there.

It's hard to say if this really helps (seems to) but dirt and rubbish does exit the from under the spoiler with pressure and the trunk channel gets dirty again real quick if left unattended. I've also noticed that a high quality wax/sealant (I use Blackfire "Wet Diamond") helps to keep the car looking cleaner for longer periods of time.
Old 02-14-12, 09:29 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by noku
Not a cure but it helps. A lot of the dirt builds up on top of my rear bumper. The best solution I've found is when washing your car, clean out the channel along the perimeter of the trunk. Lots of dirt/rubbish builds up in this track. I also apply strong water pressure between the rear spoiler and trunk to clean out the dirt that seems to get trapped there as well. I'm guessing a lot of dirt flows down with the rain water from the roof/rear window into the trunk channel and from the trunk lid under the spoiler and gets trap there.

It's hard to say if this really helps (seems to) but dirt and rubbish does exit the from under the spoiler with pressure and the trunk channel gets dirty again real quick if left unattended. I've also noticed that a high quality wax/sealant (I use Blackfire "Wet Diamond") helps to keep the car looking cleaner for longer periods of time.
Thanks for the tip...
Old 03-29-12, 10:26 AM
beavlexus
Driver School Candidate

Cool Rain Town

Originally Posted by macko1944
I have an HS250h 2010 model.Because it rains a lot here in Vancouver(Canada),the back of my car is always full of a lot of dirt,mud,including it covering the backup camera,and it is a drag to open the trunk,my hand is always so dirty after it.So I called the service,but was told,that mud guards are NOT AVAILABLE for this model.Can anybody help with advice?Is there any solution to this annoying problem?
Thanks very much!
Hi Macko...I live here in the Great Northwest as well (Beaverton, OR) and have not noticed the back end of 250H getting all that dirty. Granted, we have only owned the car for 2 months and the little woman drives just 8 miles to work and back. I washed the car this past saturday, after several weeks of rain, etc. didn't notice any extra mud, dirt near the camera.

Thx, BL

Quick Reply: Need MUD GUARDS