HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

New record: 1077.2 mile tank!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 01:34 PM
hyperme
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BgLftyinaz
I don't fully understand how pluse and glide actually work.

I've read a blog from mike with a prius and a hobbit. Unsure if I really know what to do.

I get up to speed and then try to glide,then accelerate back to speed and glide again.I fee like , i slow down to quick before needing to speed up again..

Do you have a blog to read?
Are you putting it in neutral for your glides? If not, you aren't getting the effects of P&G. Your glide will be twice as long in neutral, but make sure you wait for approx 1 second after letting your foot off the gas to allow the ICE to shut down before putting it in neutral .

No, I don't have a blog, but if you search KGenaidy's screen name as well as mine, you may find some very useful information on hypermiling the HS. Good luck!
Old 08-17-11, 09:51 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm no hypermiler by any means, but I think you also need to be going under 43 mph to do Pulse and Glide too, right? Otherwise, I don't think the engine will shut off.
Old 08-17-11, 05:19 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan55
I'm no hypermiler by any means, but I think you also need to be going under 43 mph to do Pulse and Glide too, right? Otherwise, I don't think the engine will shut off.
The ICE will not shut off over 41mph. However, you can still P&G above 41, it just won't be as efficient since the ICE will be idling instead of shut down.
Old 08-21-11, 09:55 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperme
Hey Airman,
Your driving style definitely impacts your battery level. Read on:
1. Not sure if you are aware but the 1st 50 seconds (approximately) of your warm-up cycle uses basically only battery (the engine is used to warm up the cat converter). So if you accelerate heavily during that 1st 50 seconds you will be discharging the battery more than you think. I always use a Warm-up P&G and that drains the battery more slowly.
2. I never use EV mode (activated by pressing the EV dash button) since that uses only battery for propulsion.
3. If you accelerate slowly from a stop, and you see only the yellow arrows from the battery to the drive wheels, you are, of course, using only battery for propulsion. I try not to do this too often.
4. The more you use your headlights and DRLs, the more battery you use. I keep my DRLs off.
5. While accelerating, if you see only orange arrows, as opposed to both orange and yellow, you will be charging your battery faster. To get only orange arrows, you will have to accelerate more slowly.
6. Any accessories you use will discharge the battery, hence I don't use a/c or heat (the 2 biggest drains on the battery). For long glides, I turn off my radio and close my Nav screen.

These aren't the only items that affect battery charge, but will give you an idea how you can impact your battery level
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the late response. Vacation, training, and losing a little interest after a 3 month wait, with not a word form the dealer, has slowed my response time.

But what you posted here kind of shot my whole theory of how I thought a hybrid operated out of the water.

You never use EV mode? I thought that was what hybrids were all about. Being able to run and move without using gas. But now it seems that EV mode uses more of the battery, which in turn causes the ICE to run more, which burns more gas in the long run. Is that right? Or is it a balancing act between the two?

Also you said you don't use the radio or NAV. Don't these run on 12 volt? I could see the A/C or heater causing the ICE to run more, but a 12 volt system doesn't drain the 245 volt hybrid battery. How does that help?
Old 08-21-11, 10:00 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperme
Hey Airman,
Your driving style definitely impacts your battery level. Read on:
1. Not sure if you are aware but the 1st 50 seconds (approximately) of your warm-up cycle uses basically only battery (the engine is used to warm up the cat converter). So if you accelerate heavily during that 1st 50 seconds you will be discharging the battery more than you think. I always use a Warm-up P&G and that drains the battery more slowly.
2. I never use EV mode (activated by pressing the EV dash button) since that uses only battery for propulsion.
3. If you accelerate slowly from a stop, and you see only the yellow arrows from the battery to the drive wheels, you are, of course, using only battery for propulsion. I try not to do this too often.
4. The more you use your headlights and DRLs, the more battery you use. I keep my DRLs off.
5. While accelerating, if you see only orange arrows, as opposed to both orange and yellow, you will be charging your battery faster. To get only orange arrows, you will have to accelerate more slowly.
6. Any accessories you use will discharge the battery, hence I don't use a/c or heat (the 2 biggest drains on the battery). For long glides, I turn off my radio and close my Nav screen.

These aren't the only items that affect battery charge, but will give you an idea how you can impact your battery level
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the late response. Vacation, training, and losing a little interest after a 3 month wait, with not a word form the dealer, has slowed my response time.

But what you posted here kind of shot my whole theory of how I thought a hybrid operated out of the water.

You never use EV mode? I thought that was what hybrids were all about. Being able to run and move without using gas. But now it seems that EV mode uses more of the battery, which in turn causes the ICE to run more, which burns more gas in the long run. Is that right? Or is it a balancing act between the two?

Also you said you don't use the radio or NAV. Don't these run on 12 volt? I could see the A/C or heater causing the ICE to run more, but a 12 volt system doesn't drain the 245 volt hybrid battery. How does that help?
Old 08-21-11, 11:11 AM
JessePS

Now that is amazing. Over 1600 kilometres, man I bet Exxon pissed at you You saved like what $200+?

Congratulations!
Old 08-21-11, 06:53 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by TheAirman

That's correct, I don't use EV mode (activated by pressing the EV button). However, at times I use battery only when accelerating from a stop by pressing the go pedal very lighly so the ICE does not start up. I do this sparingly and normally only up to about 10mph at which time I'll give it more gas to start the ICE. Again, using battery only is not the most efficient use of energy.

Re your statement about being able to run without using gas, when you P&G correctly, the ICE will be shut down 60-70% of the time (where you will be using no fuel).

Additionally, I'm not sure if you've noticed but when your hybrid battery is FULLY charged, both the ICE and the battery pack will be used to drive your wheels. This will be evidenced by the arrows from both the ICE and the battery pack flowing to the wheels. When in this state your instant MPG gauge will show that your MPGs are approx twice as high compared to just the ICE driving the wheels. Please be aware that your battery pack is not fully charged even after you have all the blue bars showing. You must continue charging the battery (evidenced by the arrows flowing to the battery pack) even after all blue bars are shown, eventually you will achieve full charge (evidenced by arrows from both the ICE and the battery pack flowing to the drive wheels).

I'm not entirely sure how the accessories and the 12v battery work in conjunction with the HSD system. I've read (somewhere) that if the 12v battery gets low, the hybrid battery helps charge it. Again, I'm not sure of the accuracy of this statement. If use of the radio and NAV have no affect on the hybrid battery, I'd like to know for sure since driving without music is not as much fun. Are you absolutely sure use of the accessories has no negative effect on battery strength and gas mileage?
Old 08-23-11, 02:27 PM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hyperme, did the dealer get a chance to check out the lower mpg you reported a while back? Just curious.
Old 08-23-11, 03:35 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by noku
Hyperme, did the dealer get a chance to check out the lower mpg you reported a while back? Just curious.
I spoke with a technician at the dealer who was the first person there that seemed to know something about HSD. He said the HSD system is a learning system, whereby it takes into account things like how you drive, ambient temp and so forth and makes adjustments. When I told him my EBH burned out he said that would definitely make a difference since the HSD is used to starting up every time with the engine warm. When it suddenly starts with the engine cold, it gets confused. I guess it makes some sense because the 20% drop in MPG came immediately after my EBH burned out and recovered somewhat, but not entirely, after it was replaced. I'm not really complaining too much since my tank MPG only dropped from 73mpg to 71mpg. I wish I could go back to the 73, maybe it will once the HSD re-learns everything again.
Old 03-15-12, 02:31 PM
EVPowers
Driver School Candidate

Hyperme,
Don't know if you're still around, but I would be very interested to hear you give some info on techniques at our local car club.

PM me if you are still around these boards.