GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Sagging rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 02:53 PM
Beastman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sagging rear

Any idea on how to prevent sagging on my 2016 GX 460, I load it up with camping gear and it sags, I put a trailer with 250 pound of tounge weight with a total trailer weight of 3500# and it sags. 135,000 miles.
I keep receiving replies with Gen one issues with air bags, I have a 2016. I really feel this forum is the best way to get real advice. Please help, heading on long trip in a couple weeks.
Old 05-06-24, 07:45 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,062 Likes on 706 Posts

Not clear ... do you have Air Bag Rear Suspension ?
Old 05-07-24, 06:30 AM
ASE
Pole Position

For the Premium that does not have the Lexus Rear Leveling Feature (Air Bags vs. Springs) ... I have installed Firestone "Coil-Rite" Air Bag Helper Springs ... air bags that install inside the existing rear springs. I use Firestone vs. Air Lift ... the Firestone IMHO has more robust air fittings. I run these at 10psi with no rear load ... and can increase to 35psi to reduce rear-end droop when necessary. Installation is relatively easy ...
Old 05-07-24, 08:18 AM
ColdIron
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah really need to know what your current suspension is. Mine is a 19 Luxury with factory self leveling air bags last month I carried half a ton of lead shot and it never batted an eye. When the time comes on mine I will replace with the same. Even my Polaris Ranger Trail Boss has self leveling air bags on the rear, count me as a fan.

My Tacoma had saggy pants with weight in the bed and or towing so ended up installing Firestone Ride Rite air bags. In the Taco I ran 5 psi empty and 20 with the trailer but only pulled 2.5K pounds. I was the self leveler for the air bags but it isn't that hard to do with a portable inflator using the same batteries as my power tools. I didn't T the lines and had the air fills on either side of the license plates. I also installed Daystar Air Bag cradles so I didn't loose articulation off road. They lasted 9 years with no problems and if you don't have factory air bags would recommend them.
Old 05-07-24, 11:13 AM
Beastman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sagging rear

I'm all stock 2016 gx no factory air bags. Soundis like the Firestone product is the way to go, does it effect the ride comfort?
Old 05-07-24, 12:57 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Beastman
I'm all stock 2016 gx no factory air bags. Soundis like the Firestone product is the way to go, does it effect the ride comfort?
... 10-psi without loading has no meaningful effect ... slightly improves rear end stability, but no difference in ride comfort.
Old 05-08-24, 04:22 AM
ColdIron
Driver

You control the ride by how much air you put in the bags. IIRC they don't recommend zero air and with my Taco empty ran at 5 and you couldn't tell they were even there. With temps ranging from -30 to 80's pressure would vary based on environmental conditions, but you learn after a while what to put in especially for towing. Too much air on washboards could get a little bouncy with too much air but it only takes a minute to drop down and take care of it.

Normally they bolt to the bottom and top the Daystar cradles sit above them so that they are not attached at the top and allow full droop. If they are attached at the top and you spend time off road it will stretch the bags at full droop. Some have had them tear without cradles off roading. Others have said rocks and other objects can get between the cradle and airbag and puncture them. I had mine on for 9 years with cradles and never had an issue with them, and if I were to do it again in the future would go with cradles again. But I spend a lot of time off road and gravel roads with washboards. I don't think you will regret bagging it, instead you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Old 05-28-24, 03:41 PM
jontatt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
For the Premium that does not have the Lexus Rear Leveling Feature (Air Bags vs. Springs) ... I have installed Firestone "Coil-Rite" Air Bag Helper Springs ... air bags that install inside the existing rear springs. I use Firestone vs. Air Lift ... the Firestone IMHO has more robust air fittings. I run these at 10psi with no rear load ... and can increase to 35psi to reduce rear-end droop when necessary. Installation is relatively easy ...
have a link to this?
Old 05-28-24, 05:22 PM
NemesisGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jontatt
have a link to this?
https://exitoffroad.com/product/fire...rings-airbags/
https://www.firestoneairide.com/auto...e-air-springs/

Old 05-29-24, 09:17 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm getting the Firestone bags installed on Monday on my MY23 premium +. I tow a flats skiff back and forth about 600 miles one way every other month, and when the rear is loaded down along with a 90lb dog....the rear squats. I do have an ARB air compressor already on my GX so this should help with airing up the bags on the fly.. I'll post up my thoughts and the install next week. I'll add that I did compare the Firestones to AirLift bags and ASE said he uses the Firestones....so that's the direction I went. The bags are about 200$ and the install is 400$. They told me it would take about 3 hours to do. Yota Mafia is doing the work. YotaMafia - Toyota 4x4 Lift Kits, Apparel, Accessories, Gear & More!
Old 05-29-24, 09:26 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 95 Posts

This is INCORRECT. The correct part you're looking for is this one...Firestone Airide Coil-Rite
The following users liked this post:
ASE (05-29-24)
Old 05-30-24, 06:54 AM
NemesisGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carnevino
This is INCORRECT. The correct part you're looking for is this one...Firestone Airide Coil-Rite
Can you be more specific regarding the part number for GX460? Your link only sends you to the home page, not the specific part number. In contrast, I provided the specific part number.
Old 05-30-24, 07:04 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NemesisGX
Can you be more specific regarding the part number for GX460? Your link only sends you to the home page, not the specific part number. In contrast, I provided the specific part number.
Should be this ... Firestone Coil-Rite: 4135 - Rear Kit W237604135 ... assuming you do not have a lift ... meaning stock ride height.

No matter the information provided on any Forum ... always order from a retailer that confirms the specific application ... so if there are any issues, you can return without question.

NemesisGX (05-30-24)
Old 05-30-24, 07:06 AM
NemesisGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
Should be this ... Firestone Coil-Rite: 4135 - Rear Kit W237604135 ... assuming you do not have a lift ... meaning stock ride height.

No matter the information provided on any Forum ... always order from a retailer that confirms the specific application ... so if there are any issues, you can return without question.
Thank you! It was the same part number I provided.
Old 05-30-24, 07:18 AM
ColdIron
Driver

Originally Posted by Carnevino
I'm getting the Firestone bags installed on Monday on my MY23 premium +. I tow a flats skiff back and forth about 600 miles one way every other month, and when the rear is loaded down along with a 90lb dog....the rear squats. I do have an ARB air compressor already on my GX so this should help with airing up the bags on the fly.. I'll post up my thoughts and the install next week. I'll add that I did compare the Firestones to AirLift bags and ASE said he uses the Firestones....so that's the direction I went. The bags are about 200$ and the install is 400$. They told me it would take about 3 hours to do. Yota Mafia is doing the work. YotaMafia - Toyota 4x4 Lift Kits, Apparel, Accessories, Gear & More!
Did you get the Daystar Cradles as well? Seeing how you have an ARB AC assume you go off pavement. You want the cradles for full droop off road. YotaMafia should be able to install them and know about them at least would hope so. Take a read through the reviews and you will know why you should have them. Like I said had them on my bagged Taco. If my Lux didn't have factory bags I'd install the Firestone Ride Rites again. With cradles.

Daystar Cradle Reviews Daystar Cradle Reviews

If you stay on road all the time then not as important to have them
Carnevino (05-30-24)

Quick Reply: Sagging rear