Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2014 GX 460 hitch?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-13, 10:39 PM   #1
KickinA
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 57
Default 2014 GX 460 hitch?

I didn't get the factory hitch for my GX 460, so I'm looking to get an aftermarket one. Does anyone know if the Curt 2013 GX 460 would fit the 2014?

Sewells does list the 2014 hitch yet, they just sell the lexus hitch plug. I think even the factory hitch is made in the US, maybe by Curt also?

thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
KickinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 07:21 AM   #2
SecPole14
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
SecPole14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I wonder why I live alone here...
Posts: 4,327
Default

I also did not get the factory hitch and am happy it worked out that way for the following reason: I don't need a hitch for towing but just for a bike rack, so the $700 factory hitch is overkill.

The Curt hitch is made in USA and will work perfectly for my needs. plus it's only $88 shipped from Jegs! However, I believe the hitch is only rated for 5000-5500 lbs which is less than the GX's capability.

if you plan to do a lot of real towing, you may have no other option than to go with the more robust official Lexus hitch.

I was also wondering if it will fit the 2014, but I don't think Lexus made any changes to the frame so it should be good to go....
SecPole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 09:42 AM   #3
KickinA
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 57
Default

Does anyone know who the OEM is for the factory hitch?
KickinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 09:56 AM   #4
Capirato
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Palos Verdes, California
Posts: 1,637
Send a message via AIM to Capirato
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickinA View Post

I didn't get the factory hitch for my GX 460, so I'm looking to get an aftermarket one. Does anyone know if the Curt 2013 GX 460 would fit the 2014?
I would think you could find out if there has been a change in the hitches by asking the Lexus Parts Department if the hitch part -numbers are different

~ Cap
__________________
'10 GX460 | Tungsten Pearl Premium
'13 RX350 | Nebula Gray Pearl AWD
'01 GS300 | Millennium Silver
'06 MINI S | Pepper White
Capirato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 10:49 AM   #5
Eppieguy
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickinA View Post
I didn't get the factory hitch for my GX 460, so I'm looking to get an aftermarket one. Does anyone know if the Curt 2013 GX 460 would fit the 2014?

Sewells does list the 2014 hitch yet, they just sell the lexus hitch plug. I think even the factory hitch is made in the US, maybe by Curt also?

thanks
I'm pretty sure they haven't changed the frame from 2010 to presant, Buy a hitch that will fit a 13 and it will fit your 14 I'll bet.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 03:01 PM   #6
Randy B
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Randy B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 381
Default

I inquired with Sewell about the 2014 GX Hitch assembly. Its a new part number separate from 2013 and back. I kind of figured since the rear bumper cover is different. The new part number is PT228-60140. Presently you have to enter it in the Quick catalog search at the bottom of the home page menu. If you search at the top or by vehicle year and model, it will not appear. I'll be ordering this as soon as I know my vehicle is at the Port.

Randy B
__________________
2006 LS430 Blue Onyx Pearl and Cashmere leather interior, Modern Luxury package with Sirius Satellite radio, Smart Access, and Sport Tuned Suspension Package with Chrome 18's.
2014 GX460 Starfire Pearl with Sepia, Driver Support Package, Rear Entertainment System, Trailer Hitch, and Preferred Accessory Package.
Randy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 05:41 PM   #7
Eppieguy
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 527
Default

Interesting, I hadn't noticed the rear bumper by the hitch was different. I'll still bet the frame is the same but either way you got the correct part number so that's all that matters. Good luck with it and show us pictures when you get it installed please.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 11:06 PM   #8
Capirato
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Palos Verdes, California
Posts: 1,637
Send a message via AIM to Capirato
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B View Post

I inquired with Sewell about the 2014 GX Hitch assembly. Its a new part number separate from 2013 and back. I kind of figured since the rear bumper cover is different. The new part number is PT228-60140. I'll be ordering this as soon as I know my vehicle is at the Port.

Randy B
More info on PT228-60140

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-gx-hitch-pin-mnt~pt228-60140.html

~ Cap
__________________
'10 GX460 | Tungsten Pearl Premium
'13 RX350 | Nebula Gray Pearl AWD
'01 GS300 | Millennium Silver
'06 MINI S | Pepper White
Capirato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-13, 08:08 AM   #9
SecPole14
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
SecPole14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I wonder why I live alone here...
Posts: 4,327
Default

Here's some better info......

http://jimhudsonaugustaparts.com/par...catalogid=9234

It says it is backwards compatible with the 2010 model. Interesting, so I wonder what the differences are? Seems to me that the 2010-2013 hitches should also work, can't imagine the bumper making that much of a difference.............maybe the 2014 one sticks out less since the bumper no longer has that center "bulge" in it (??).
SecPole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 10:08 AM   #10
BrahmanLex
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecPole14 View Post
I also did not get the factory hitch and am happy it worked out that way for the following reason: I don't need a hitch for towing but just for a bike rack, so the $700 factory hitch is overkill.

The Curt hitch is made in USA and will work perfectly for my needs. plus it's only $88 shipped from Jegs! However, I believe the hitch is only rated for 5000-5500 lbs which is less than the GX's capability.

if you plan to do a lot of real towing, you may have no other option than to go with the more robust official Lexus hitch.

I was also wondering if it will fit the 2014, but I don't think Lexus made any changes to the frame so it should be good to go....
SecPole14 - I am also interested in installing Curt Hitch on my GX460 and have a question. How did you remove the center "bulging" bracket on rear bumper cover? Thank you in advance!
__________________
2013 GX460
2010 GS350
2012 RX350 (gone)
2004 X5 (gone and missed)
1997 E320 (rusted and gone)
1994 M3 (gone)
BrahmanLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 10:27 AM   #11
SecPole14
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
SecPole14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I wonder why I live alone here...
Posts: 4,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmanLex View Post
SecPole14 - I am also interested in installing Curt Hitch on my GX460 and have a question. How did you remove the center "bulging" bracket on rear bumper cover? Thank you in advance!
I just bought a 2014 and have not purchased that receiver yet, but it is my plan to do so. Hopefully it won't require removing anything.
SecPole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 11:42 AM   #12
BrahmanLex
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecPole14 View Post
I just bought a 2014 and have not purchased that receiver yet, but it is my plan to do so. Hopefully it won't require removing anything.
Got it. Thanks. Mine is 2013 and looking at the installation manual, I need access behind the bracket to install the receiver but I am afraid of breaking my bumper cover/bracket if I force it with too much pressure.

Does anyone know what is reasonable stealership cost to have them install (labor only) if I supply them with Lexus hitch purchased from Sewell ($270 w/ shipping) ??
Not sure if this is an overkill as I will need the hitch to install bike rack, mostly.

__________________
2013 GX460
2010 GS350
2012 RX350 (gone)
2004 X5 (gone and missed)
1997 E320 (rusted and gone)
1994 M3 (gone)
BrahmanLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 11:55 AM   #13
SecPole14
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
SecPole14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I wonder why I live alone here...
Posts: 4,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmanLex View Post
Got it. Thanks. Mine is 2013 and looking at the installation manual, I need access behind the bracket to install the receiver but I am afraid of breaking my bumper cover/bracket if I force it with too much pressure.

Does anyone know what is reasonable stealership cost to have them install (labor only) if I supply them with Lexus hitch purchased from Sewell ($270 w/ shipping) ??
Not sure if this is an overkill as I will need the hitch to install bike rack, mostly.

The factory hitch is total overkill for a bike rack. The Curt hitch will work on your 2013.

Buy it and install it yourself. Really easy to do. Just a few bolts.

Instructions: https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._13043_INS.PDF

Amazon for $95 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-13043-Class-Receiver/dp/B003ZS32CW http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-13043-Class-Receiver/dp/B003ZS32CW
SecPole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 12:16 PM   #14
BrahmanLex
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecPole14 View Post
The factory hitch is total overkill for a bike rack. The Curt hitch will work on your 2013.

Buy it and install it yourself. Really easy to do. Just a few bolts.

Instructions: https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._13043_INS.PDF

Amazon for $95 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufactu.../dp/B003ZS32CW
I agree and thanks again!
__________________
2013 GX460
2010 GS350
2012 RX350 (gone)
2004 X5 (gone and missed)
1997 E320 (rusted and gone)
1994 M3 (gone)
BrahmanLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-13, 09:17 AM   #15
Koz
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,746
Default

Do yourself a favor and install the OEM hitch. You are going through the trouble of installing the hitch, you may as well install a hitch that matches the OEM tow rating. You may decide to tow something near the max rating someday (or the next owner).

Koz
__________________
2011 Premium GX460 Red/Black (Nav/ML/PA/Wide-View/Crawl/Tow Pkg/ClearBra/aFe Pro-Dry dropin/LT-LTX MS2))
2007 IS350 Red/Blk (Lux-18"/Nav/ML/Park Assist/Spoiler/ClearBra/F-Sport dropin/JoeZ/Greddy Exhaust/TSW Snetterton Wheels)
Koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-13, 09:17 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2014, 350, 460, club, gx, hitch, installation, lexus, premium, receiver, reviews, rx, rx350, tow, trailer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing Hitch OEM or Curt zhenya GX - Second Generation 2 07-22-14 06:11 PM
Best hitch? Curt or Hidden Hitch? memphisto GX - First Generation 10 06-07-14 08:26 PM
Factory installed trailer hitch? Jbizzle GX - Second Generation 8 11-28-13 07:49 PM
Hitch not as hidden as I thought tennman117 RX - Second Generation 8 07-29-13 05:26 PM
tow hitch vs no tow hitch - any mpg difference? GCTJ RX - Third Generation 3 05-04-13 06:42 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info