GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 01:38 PM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I am going to get the OEM crossbar. Can anyone tell me if the silver part of the crossbar is plastic or metal?
Thanks.
Old 06-22-23, 06:27 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dchan865
I am going to get the OEM crossbar. Can anyone tell me if the silver part of the crossbar is plastic or metal?
Thanks.
The crossbar is all metal including the silver ends.
Old 06-23-23, 10:00 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
The crossbar is all metal including the silver ends.
Nice glad to hear. Thanks! I think some folks bought some after market ones that had plastic silver ends.
Old 09-14-23, 09:59 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi when I search crossbar to buy for 2023
the fitment of the Lexus one show only up to 2022?

also on sticker port installed it is $450. The part I was looking at was under 200 online dealer.
Is there a special cross bar on 2023 that is different and cost more?
Old 09-14-23, 10:45 PM
gfcipriani
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

They are the same , unless you have the black edition. I have the factory cross bars listed for sale in San Diego in the classifieds if interested 😉
Old 11-14-23, 05:25 AM
jkbr78781014
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Yakima Skybox 16 issue

1. I have factory bars
2. taking 7 hour trip to Canada
3. concerned about room clearance

options

A. Roll with factory bars with roof protection (pool noodle, anti-slip mat.

B. Get a new rack (leased vehicle may buyout)
Inno IN-TR looks good but clearance still looks low / inno tech support recommended IN-XP with higher clearance.

C. Any other suggestions?

thanks in advance
Old 11-14-23, 05:36 AM
preeble
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used my Thule Force XL (about 10 years old) with the factory roof bars. There are a couple of things to look out for:
  1. There is not much clearance for the claws and I had to carefully lift the box onto the roof (vs. sliding it). The claws did leave marks on my roof, but I was able to get them out.
  2. Even after pushing the box as far to the front as possible, the box was still touching the shark fin. I moved the bars slightly forward until it was no longer touching and I also put painters tape on the sharkfin to prevent any damage from the bouncing box.
I don't use the thule enough (only 3-4 times/year) to warrant swapping out the cross bars and it worked fine for my needs - I just needed to take extra precaution when putting it on and off.

Originally Posted by jkbr78781014
1. I have factory bars

options

Inno IN-TR looks good but clearance still looks low / inno tech support recommended IN-XP with higher clearance.

thanks in advance
Old 11-14-23, 07:55 AM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Received 154 Likes on 60 Posts

1. I have factory bars

options

thanks in advance

Good timing. I have the factory bars and taking a trip next week with a Thule XT XL. Did a test fit last night (thankfully!)... as others have stated there is about 1/8" clearance when the claws are clamped to the bars. Putting just a little pressure in the empty box with my hands caused the claws to hit the roof. It's a brand new GX and will be in the household for years to come... so it was a no go for me. Ordered the Inno rack system from eTrailer last night and should be here tomorrow. That rack system is popular on this site as well as eTrailer. Over 1300 4-5 star reviews plus dozens of GX owners with pics. That was good enough for me and will give me piece of mind plus it's a better rack system. It will only be on the truck when needed... so not worried about the looks. From the pics posted on eTrailer the bars are higher than the OEM bars and will give plenty of room under the Thule claws.

So long story short, my suggestion would be option "B"
Old 11-21-23, 06:19 AM
jkbr78781014
3rd Gear

Default Extra long bars aesthetics (temporary)

I was thinking of purchasing a 70”+ load bar to fit a cargo box and ski carrier.

Can anyone share their experience?

1. Does it look ridiclous?

2. Is It dangerous ? (Side view mirrors come out as much or further)

if anyone has pictures that would be much appreciated.

this would only be for a 8 hour trip to Canada. Need extra room for dog. It would come off after trip.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-21-23, 06:45 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I was thinking of purchasing a 70”+ load bar to fit a cargo box and ski carrier.

Can anyone share their experience?

1. Does it look ridiclous?

2. Is It dangerous ? (Side view mirrors come out as much or further)

if anyone has pictures that would be much appreciated.

this would only be for a 8 hour trip to Canada. Need extra room for dog. It would come off after trip.

Thanks in advance
I don't think anyone cares or notices a roof rack unless you are a car person. If it looks ridiculous, who cares?

Roof racks are safe, even the wide Inno bars. If you are offroading, they could grab some branches.

You will love the extra room in the roof box, we fit all our luggage (4 people and a baby) + stroller for a weekend wedding. Drove 8 hours there and back without a problem.
Old 11-21-23, 09:04 AM
jkbr78781014
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Nickk6
I don't think anyone cares or notices a roof rack unless you are a car person. If it looks ridiculous, who cares?

Roof racks are safe, even the wide Inno bars. If you are offroading, they could grab some branches.

You will love the extra room in the roof box, we fit all our luggage (4 people and a baby) + stroller for a weekend wedding. Drove 8 hours there and back without a problem.

thank you for the prompt reply. I am looking forward to the extra leg room.
Old 01-15-24, 08:46 PM
LexusAC2022
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krazykrnbo
Factory Cross Bars with the Thule Box

Do you have any issues with the claw attachment from the Thule box and the roof? I've been getting mixed feedback on rubbing. I am planning on getting the factory bars, but wanted to make sure they work with my Thule XL box
Old 01-16-24, 05:57 AM
LavaRedJ
10th Gear

Default Inno system you got

I think I see the inno bars you bought showing on a white GX, now with over 3300 reviews. It looks like he took off the stock rails on top that come with every GX to install it. Am I seeing that correctly?

I too have the oem crossbars and have been talked into getting the Thule XL roof box and DO NOT want it touching the roof in any way as we will keep our GX forever. Our 2004 Yukon XL is still going, and I plan on taking even better care of our GX.

I've gotten so used to how quiet the GX is, getting an average of 18-22mpg with 6 of us, pulling a bantam trailer, and I'm concerned about the noise mostly that the box will create. I would think that the higher the crossbars, the more of a gap would be created between the roof and box, creating more noise and drag. Dunno 🤷‍♂️

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
Good timing. I have the factory bars and taking a trip next week with a Thule XT XL. Did a test fit last night (thankfully!)... as others have stated there is about 1/8" clearance when the claws are clamped to the bars. Putting just a little pressure in the empty box with my hands caused the claws to hit the roof. It's a brand new GX and will be in the household for years to come... so it was a no go for me. Ordered the Inno rack system from eTrailer last night and should be here tomorrow. That rack system is popular on this site as well as eTrailer. Over 1300 4-5 star reviews plus dozens of GX owners with pics. That was good enough for me and will give me piece of mind plus it's a better rack system. It will only be on the truck when needed... so not worried about the looks. From the pics posted on eTrailer the bars are higher than the OEM bars and will give plenty of room under the Thule claws.

So long story short, my suggestion would be option "B"
Old 03-14-24, 05:11 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Probably my favorite roof basket for the GX. Relatively low profile compared to my Megwarrior. Seems to be the perfect fit for our roof. How are you liking it? Have had my eyes on FB for one.

Originally Posted by GXORUT;[url=tel:10754144
10754144]I just wanted to drop another setup for roof rack/backet options. I never did see this basket on a GX prior to purchase, so I thought I would share. Similar to the Megawarrior is the Yakima Offgrid, large size shown here on OEM Lexus roof crossbars. So far so good, just did a quick overnighter up the mountain.

Old 03-31-24, 11:43 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 133 Posts

Here is our setup on a '21

Yakima 55" Aero cross bars with Yakima Ridgeline Towers and Yakima SkyBox 18 carbonite

Perfect fit, you can open the rear window without the "spoiler" hitting the roof box.
Will eventually get the "pride" roof rails and change the setup slightly, but this works so far

roughly 1 mpg loss during highway speeds (80mph) as per cluster.

The following users liked this post:
Rufio (03-31-24)