GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Air suspension: thumbs up or down

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 06:07 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air suspension: thumbs up or down

So, I'm thinking of the Premium, but it seems for 2012, Lexus hasn't produced that many. I really want the HID lights, but I guess I can get that as an accessory?

Is it really worth getting the premium then and pay the extra few thousand?

Since I don't off road, is it thumbs up or down for the Air suspension?

How does the suspension work? If I were to keep my vehicle as low as possible, does it stay that way until I raise it? Will I drive on freeways lower? I've always had an issue with how tall the GX really is even compared to other suv's in its class.
Old 11-03-11, 06:43 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The system has three settings (low, auto/normal and high). When in Auto/normal mode the system will automatically level the vehicle regardless of added cargo and/or trailer weight. Once the vehicle reaches approx 22 mph the system defaults to the auto/normal height.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6796730-post6.html

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 11-03-11 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 07:07 AM
Koz

Premium differences,

3 zone climate control
power folding mirrors
semi-aniline leather
wood/leather shift **** w/heated steering wheel
heated second row seats
AFS-HID headlights
headlight washers
tonneau cover
wheel finish (liquid graphite)
AVS + rear airsprings

Koz
Old 11-03-11, 05:48 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Koz, I guess I only really care about the HIDs and the folding mirrors, I guess I can get those as accessories. My main original problem with the GX was that it looked "jacked-up" as I had said in previous threads. I guess if I got the premium, I can leave it on low, and it would stay that way always and it will be I believe less than an inch lower than the non-premium gx's, but i save a couple of thousands getting a regular one and get the HIDs and folding mirrors as options. Hmm...choices choices. I don't think Lexus has shipped that many 2012 Prem.s
Old 11-03-11, 06:49 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought our consensus was that the only absolute (i.e., impossible to add as an option) difference between the base version and the premium version was the adjustable rear suspension? In other words, a base version can be "optioned-up" with everything except the adjustable rear suspension. Of course, finding a base unit with every available option or with a specific selection of options may be so difficult that it would be better to get everything with a premium version!

With regard to Koz's list of premium differences ... other than the adjustable rear suspension, which of these are unavailable as options for the base unit? The 3 zone climate control and power folding mirrors (controlled by a switch, not automatic when put into 'Park') were available options in 2010 as we have them on our base version GX. Perhaps for the 2012 model year there are additional "unavailable options" that further differentiate the two versions of the GX?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 11-04-11, 04:19 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by frank69m
My main original problem with the GX was that it looked "jacked-up" as I had said in previous threads. I guess if I got the premium, I can leave it on low, and it would stay that way always and it will be I believe less than an inch lower than the non-premium gx's, but i save a couple of thousands getting a regular one and get the HIDs and folding mirrors as options.
The Premium in the normal height position sits lower then the base model. NO, you can not drive over (I think) 22 mph in the low height position. At a set speed the system defaults back to the normal height setting no matter where the system is set.

Originally Posted by SaniDel
I thought our consensus was that the only absolute (i.e., impossible to add as an option) difference between the base version and the premium version was the adjustable rear suspension? In other words, a base version can be "optioned-up" with everything except the adjustable rear suspension.

other than the adjustable rear suspension, which of these are unavailable as options for the base unit? SaniDel
Also you can not get the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS).

You have to look at the cost of these options when buying them separately. Each one of them is very expensive. Also remember you can special order the vehicle exactly how you want it. The hard part is waiting!

Koz
Old 11-04-11, 11:22 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

With regard to Koz's list of premium differences ... other than the adjustable rear suspension, which of these are unavailable as options for the base unit? The 3 zone climate control and power folding mirrors (controlled by a switch, not automatic when put into 'Park') were available options in 2010 as we have them on our base version GX. Perhaps for the 2012 model year there are additional "unavailable options" that further differentiate the two versions of the GX?
Regards,

SaniDel
I optioned out a 2011 base model in August with all of the same options as the premium model I wanted (and my dealer actually found the exact base for me) and the difference in price for the premium was a little more than $1,000 more. At the time, you got several things besides the suspension that more than made up the $1,000 difference including the heated steering wheel (can't get on base), headlamp washers (useless but not available on base), illuminated scuff plates ($500), side body molding ($600) and tonneau cover ($439). The 2012 base model now has the side molding so that elimates the extra expense for that but you also get different colored wheels with the premium now. To me, the premium is just the better buy. As a result, I waited for a 2012 premium.

Last edited by patgilm; 11-04-11 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-06-11, 07:17 AM
Koz

I feel that the rear air susp and AVS are worth the cost of the Premium alone and the rest of the options are a free bee.

Koz
Old 11-07-11, 05:00 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought our consensus was that the only absolute (i.e., impossible to add as an option) difference between the base version and the premium version was the adjustable rear suspension? In other words, a base version can be "optioned-up" with everything except the adjustable rear suspension. Of course, finding a base unit with every available option or with a specific selection of options may be so difficult that it would be better to get everything with a premium version!

Regards,

SaniDel
Also, as to the 2010 - can't speak to subsequent versions, you can't get the heated steering wheel on the base even with all the packages, there's something different wrt to lights/markings on the floor board when you open the door, and also, the chrome on the back window only goes half way up on the base where on the premium it goes all the way up. There was one other thing you simply couldn't get on the base . . . . could be something to do with the headlights but I can't remember for sure. I'm a touch OCD so I researched a ton.

eta: sorry I read the other posts and I see others have mentioned this.

Last edited by wannaGX; 11-07-11 at 05:03 AM.