GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 10:44 AM
waden43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 GX460 Lexus is aware of this problem.

This is very common problem with 2010 and 2011GX460.
lexus technician are very well aware of it. GX460 stering vibrates at the speed between 60-70mph.
I am trying to figure, what is causing this vibration? Lexus are saying it is related to tires and rims, but highly doubt it.
I will suggest to measure the height of rear of the truck from both ends left and right.

Thanks

Dean
Old 09-05-11, 08:35 AM
SharpSpurs
Driver School Candidate

Just came home from a 800 mile road trip in my 2011. No vibrations at all.

Mike
Old 09-05-11, 06:51 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpSpurs
Just came home from a 800 mile road trip in my 2011. No vibrations at all.

Mike
it vibrates sometimes, other times doesnt...

i wonder if its the sway bar kdss link. someone had mentioned it here
Old 09-06-11, 12:02 PM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

Lexus offered to purchase back my gx, but right now there really isn't anything out on the market quite like the gx. I'm sure we will all agree it's a wonderful truck, but just wish they could fix the annoying shake/vibs. I will measure the difference between the front/back-side/side becauce now I am curious. I will also include my build date to see if any connections there. My collegue has one same color/trim etc and no vibs what so ever!
Old 09-06-11, 12:14 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would you not take them up on their offer and get a new GX, especially if you could get a newer model year?

Several on this forum have done that and I have done it twice with previous 'Lexi'. More to the point, the problem you are experiencing is vehicle-specific ... your colleague's experience is the same as mine, the same as many others on this forum and I suspect the vast majority of GX owners ... no vibration whatsoever.

If every GX had this problem there would be a total recall and an embargo on new sales, much like how Lexus handled the VSC upgrade. That's not the case and they are solving the problem on a case-by-case basis, but on very generous terms. Wouldn't you like a brand new GX in exchange for your used GX ... for free?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-06-11, 12:56 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

Just curious, would I be able to tell from a quick test drive before I sign any papers whether the truck has the vibration issue or is this something that is noticed over a short period of time? Does the vibration feel like a wheel balance issue or does the whole truck shake?
Old 09-06-11, 08:48 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

since most of the underneath parts of the gx 460 are similar to the gx 470, could it be that we are experiencing the steering flutter also affecting the older gx's?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...65-70-mph.html

open the tsb bulletin on this thread down the page
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ed-rims-2.html
Old 09-07-11, 12:29 PM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

Just curious, would I be able to tell from a quick test drive before I sign any papers whether the truck has the vibration issue or is this something that is noticed over a short period of time? Does the vibration feel like a wheel balance issue or does the whole truck shake?
Good question. My test drive of the truck yielded no indication that there were going to be any issues whatsoever. During the test drive it drove and rhode like a dream. I noticed the shaking in the wheel at first around 300 miles plus or minus. I obviously continued to drive until my 500 mile service and at that point the shaking was not only in the steering wheel but the whole truck. The seats in the truck would shake as if someone is behind them inflicking the movement. At that point they said it was the tires and from there the saga continued.
Why would you not take them up on their offer and get a new GX, especially if you could get a newer model year?
Well as of now I've lost all "love" for my truck and extreamly leary of getting into another one and having to go through this whole ordeal again. Granted even if it is specific to my truck. I can't imagine Lexus believing me not only did I have one bad GX but two. At least that would be my luck. But on the other hand I may take them up on thier offer as the shaking really is bothersome! But another option is keeping till spring when another suv I'm interested in is released to the public. What would you do?
Old 09-07-11, 04:52 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Fast forward to next Spring, the SUV of your dreams is released to the public and you decide to buy it using a GX 460 as a trade in. Which vehicle would be the best for a trade-in, i.e., would cost you less out-of pocket?

A. Your current 2010 or 2011 GX 460 with all the mileage you have accumulated since you bought it and which vibrates enough so that you have "lost all love" OR

B. A 2012 GX 460 that was new this Fall with only the mileage since this Fall and which has no problem with vibrations so that you presumably "hate it less" ... my words, not yours!

Your monetary cost to move from option A to option B would be zero. Granted, there is considerable time and 'transaction' costs to swap vehicles, but Lexus makes it as easy as they can ... I've done it twice. Once it is arranged, you drive your old Lexus to the dealership, sign a lot of papers, but no checks ... and drive home in your new Lexus.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-07-11, 05:05 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how did you ever pull off a new vehicle? Did you complain for days and days or did you invoke the lemon law?
Old 09-07-11, 05:49 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Owning ten Lexus since our first in 1995 may have been a factor, but I didn't have to "play that card" as we were buying from dealerships in Delaware, Arizona and Florida. I would like to think Lexus would do this for any owner and others in this forum have reported they have done the same.

In my opinion, the key is to be nice, but firm ... you expect a new vehicle and you will not be satisfied until you get it. Knowing your state's "Lemon Law" is important, but don't "lawyer up" ... keep your pit bull on a short chain! Holding a Lexus loaner vehicle is helpful, but don't let it become a "police matter" ... they have a legal right to their vehicle and to return yours.

Here's how we got a new LX:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5747992-post27.html

Your mileage may vary, but notice that we didn't need to "go nuclear" with a lawyer and it never went past the GM at the dealership. Our second was similar, but more complex as we traded an LS for a used LX, which developed a problem, so we got a new LX.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-09-11, 07:57 PM
omegaknox
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a 2011 RX350 and have same exact problems and have 19" wheels with Michelin rubber. Have been to dealer 5 times in 1st month and all they say is "can't feel the shimmy". Am meeting Lexus exec tech rep but I feel I am getting run around. My '02 RX 300 with over 100K miles road smoother the day I traded. Too many cut backs on quality for a "luxury" vehicle costing nearly 50K. Seems you GX customers having same vibration.
Old 09-25-11, 10:41 AM
08mub
Driver School Candidate

This is my second 2011 GX 460. I returned the first one due to unevenes. Mine is also vibrating between 60-70 on highway and its quite variable and minor.
Is there any conclusion or solution for this issue.
Old 09-25-11, 04:44 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both my 96 and 2001 4runners vibrate/shimmy bw 60 and 70 mph. Haven't noticed it on the gx. Also, they all every once in a while have that funk smell from the AC. Is it just a toyota thing? I know, sounds naive, but I am as I know nothing about cars but it seems awfully coincidental. . .
Old 09-27-11, 06:01 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 08mub
This is my second 2011 GX 460. I returned the first one due to unevenes. Mine is also vibrating between 60-70 on highway and its quite variable and minor.
Is there any conclusion or solution for this issue.
Nope. Good Luck. I had the 2010 GX and traded for 2011 due to vibrations. Few months later sold the 2011 as it had the same problem. Tires were replaced with different brands and types, wheels rebalanced multiple times and in differentl locations, wheels replaced, etc.... Loved the truck, but the pleasure of driving was gone due to vibs.

Lexus has a prblem doesn't want to admit they have. Just bought 3 year old 4runner for my wife. It had vibs but somehow with one balancing it drives smoothly and better than the GX.

I have to give credit to local Lexus dealer who tried to make it right and did the trade for 2011 and then bought the 2011 from me for a fair price. This is the only reason I am still considering to buy Lexus again which will be the new GS350 in Feb.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues