Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 03:03 PM
munchers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile buying a gx now

Hi-
I am a newbie here.
Believe it or not, I started looking for a SUV type car...the day CR came out with it's "do not buy". I started off knowing a little about the BMX X5, Rx350, and MDX; and not much else. I figured I would buy one of these. After looking at half a dozen different SUV's (or should I say CUV's?) including a very low mile 2009 470 GX, and reading many reviews on many additional models, it is clear to me that the GX 460 is hands down the best mid size SUV out there-and that is without yet having the chance to test drive one. I've also now seen the video, and read what is available on the CR report, and am not dissuaded of my opinion.
I have now put money down on one, and am waiting until Lexus lifts it's "do not sell order" to finish the transaction. I can't wait to get my hands on mine. I am sure we will have many enjoyable, safe years using it. This is a great car, and the recent CR report will not tarnish it with anyone willing to spend the time to educate themselves on these cars; and will not tarnish it with the general public in the long run.
Old 04-21-10, 03:59 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

What kind of discount are they offering? I'm sure dealers will start discounting them more than they were before all of this happened...

Good luck!
Old 04-21-10, 04:38 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Good for you! Lexus is one of the best car/SUV makers ever!

Although, it never hurts to drive before you buy...

P.S. The other automakers should learn from Lexus' example.
Old 04-21-10, 04:49 PM
munchers
Driver School Candidate

Default buying a gx now

In terms of $ this is the right time to buy. Yahoo on that score!
Yep-it is better to test drive before you buy! I did drive the gx-470 and by accounts the gx-460 is a better ride-so I am taking a leap of faith. With Lexus' solid reputation-and the admirable way this recent hiccough has been handled, hopefuly it is a justified leap!
Old 04-21-10, 06:05 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by munchers
I have now put money down on one, and am waiting until Lexus lifts it's "do not sell order" to finish the transaction. I can't wait to get my hands on mine.
Is your dealer not able to give you a test drive because of the "do not sell"?
Old 04-21-10, 06:23 PM
sassimiz
Driver School Candidate

Curious how negotiable price is with all this going on...

Extended our lease on our GX470 in hopes the prices would drop a bit and then the recall happened

Maybe it will work in our favor?

I had been talking with 3 different dealers about this car, and haven't heard a peep...
Old 04-21-10, 08:25 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

curious what convinced you it's the best especially since you haven't driven one yet .. . . (I have one, so I clearly agree, but I was curious what you thought was important).
Old 04-21-10, 09:14 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

You can always get a great deal on a car. Before the whole CR press, back at beginning of March I got mine for $100 over invoice (got a copy invoice and official PO from Lexus to the dealer to confirm the cost including all additional options).

Quick Tips
- Don't talk to sales people (talk with Gen Manager or internet sales manager) - spoke with GM myself
- get the best deal quotes from all Lexus dealers within X miles from you - spoke first with a dealer from a city that I travel often to and then spoke with local dealer.
- Make sure you know about any promotions/incentives as those can effect price substantially (below invoice)
- walk away from a deal until you get what you want - initially I got the best they can do is $1000/invoice. I have thanks then and said I will got with the other dealer. The next AM got my deal. It is a smack in the face if customer from their area buys from other area.
- make sure you know invoice pricing on all options. Often dealer will give you invoice but charge you MSRP on options they have added. The mark up on those is very substantial.
- remember that dealer gets 3% back at the end of the year for each car sold. Depending on model you are buying and time of the year, you can get the car substantially below invoice.

If you are not very good in negotiations, spend some time on edmunds.com. They have some very good reading materials how to negotiate and dealer tactics. Normally Lexus is very professional in negotiations, but is worth knowing.

Last edited by Luke27617; 04-21-10 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 11:19 PM
munchers
Driver School Candidate

Update for those interested.

We picked the GX460 based on reviews by and large. We prefer a vehicle with "real" off road capability, unlike the Cougar-moblies (Lexus RX350, Beemers, crossovers like the Acura, etc) as we live in Central Valley of CA, very close to Yosemite, Kings Cyn and Sequoia National Parks; all are just over an hour away. So we really use the 4WD, in some pretty demanding areas. That being said, we are not off road warriors -- though many of our neighbors are. [For what it's worth, my other car is a Sequoia with TRD Brakes and TRD supercharger].

Negotiations: We've agreed to buy a Premium, absent the rear seat video, front peek- around-the-corner cameras, the lane change alert thingy or pre-crash-set-up; but with tow hitch, cross bars, cargo net, mats, rear tonneau cover, upgraded sound with GPS, crawl for $57K, although another dealer is offering the same for several hundred less.

Last edited by munchers; 04-21-10 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-22-10, 05:22 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a great deal! What color combo?
Old 04-22-10, 05:25 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Update for those interested.

We picked the GX460 based on reviews by and large. We prefer a vehicle with "real" off road capability, unlike the Cougar-moblies (Lexus RX350, Beemers, crossovers like the Acura, etc) as we live in Central Valley of CA, very close to Yosemite, Kings Cyn and Sequoia National Parks; all are just over an hour away. So we really use the 4WD, in some pretty demanding areas. That being said, we are not off road warriors -- though many of our neighbors are. [For what it's worth, my other car is a Sequoia with TRD Brakes and TRD supercharger].

Negotiations: We've agreed to buy a Premium, absent the rear seat video, front peek- around-the-corner cameras, the lane change alert thingy or pre-crash-set-up; but with tow hitch, cross bars, cargo net, mats, rear tonneau cover, upgraded sound with GPS, crawl for $57K, although another dealer is offering the same for several hundred less.
Looks like you got a great deal on the premium! Enjoy!
Old 04-22-10, 05:15 PM
munchers
Driver School Candidate

Will post full details on everything, blow by blow, once we have the car in the garage.
Old 04-30-10, 06:25 PM
munchers
Driver School Candidate

Well, went to Keys Lexus in Van Nuys to pick it up today. Vehicle purchase price $56661.10 for 2010 / 9710A GX460 Premium Starfire Pearl with Nav/Audio (not back seat DVD), Parking assist, chrome rims, trailer hitch, tonneau cover and cargo net. 6 year, 100K extended service agreement $1400 more.

Dealt with Ron in internet sales; all negotiation done on line. Went down and more or less painlessly picked it up. On the whole, Ron was entirely forthright and reasonable. I think the price was as good as I could get and I would deal with them Ron and Keys Lexus again (which is high praise).
Old 04-30-10, 07:22 PM
Des@Cerritos
Former Sponsor

^^congrats! You got a great deal. Enjoy your GX.
Old 05-01-10, 12:35 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, went to Keys Lexus in Van Nuys to pick it up today. Vehicle purchase price $56661.10 for 2010 / 9710A GX460 Premium Starfire Pearl with Nav/Audio (not back seat DVD), Parking assist, chrome rims, trailer hitch, tonneau cover and cargo net. 6 year, 100K extended service agreement $1400 more.

Dealt with Ron in internet sales; all negotiation done on line. Went down and more or less painlessly picked it up. On the whole, Ron was entirely forthright and reasonable. I think the price was as good as I could get and I would deal with them Ron and Keys Lexus again (which is high praise).
Do you have the ML/Nav?

How much were the chrome wheels? I'm thinking about chrome wheels for mine. I have them on my LS 460. Are they Perma Chrome or triple chrome?

Quick Reply: buying a gx now