GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Interior Scratches / Scuffs / Marks / Blemishes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 05:53 PM
RXSF

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

SaniDel, regarding the car wash. You can just remove the metal key and pop the fob in the glove box, lock the glove box and take the key with you. This way, the car has the key inside but nobody can steal it However, some car washes require you to hand the key to the driver.
Old 04-18-10, 06:04 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
SaniDel, regarding the car wash. You can just remove the metal key and pop the fob in the glove box, lock the glove box and take the key with you. This way, the car has the key inside but nobody can steal it However, some car washes require you to hand the key to the driver.
An even better approach ... except for the part about stealing the GX ... whether the electronic part of the key is hanging on the stalk or locked in the glove box, the truck is still subject to theft. Ideally, the owner should take the complete electronic key after the truck is "on the rack" and the owner should hand over the key only at the end of the car wash line.

No, I'm not going to take my own advice, but I do watch to be sure the truck is on the rack and blocked by the next customer's vehicle before walking to the end of the line!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-18-10, 06:23 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
An even better approach ... except for the part about stealing the GX ... whether the electronic part of the key is hanging on the stalk or locked in the glove box, the truck is still subject to theft. Ideally, the owner should take the complete electronic key after the truck is "on the rack" and the owner should hand over the key only at the end of the car wash line.

No, I'm not going to take my own advice, but I do watch to be sure the truck is on the rack and blocked by the next customer's vehicle before walking to the end of the line!
Regards,

SaniDel
Guys, think about it. It's no different than the regular key, in the sense that you still have to hand it over to the attendant.
Old 04-18-10, 07:56 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe, it is impossible to restore to original condition, but Mothers "Back to Black" black color wax helps for some time. I top it off with ARMOR ALL or Exterior and trim restorer. Neither of my previously owned cars (Lumina, Accord, and Camry) had such ****ty plastic panels.
Sorry for truth.
Old 04-19-10, 12:35 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Windex Original contains Ammonia, other types of Windex such as CrystalRain and MultiSurface Grease Cutter do not. These should be safe to use. Ah, also do not use any products with vinegar like Windex MultiSurface Vinegar (sic), they can also easily discolor leather, carpeting, etc.
Multi surface grease cutter will strip the natural oils and dye's right out of your panels over time. I am not sure about crystal rain, but I would assume that by the time you go that far, you might as well have bought Meguiars Natural Shine Dash, trin and vinyl Protectant for like $5.

As far as Back to black goes, its for use on exterior panels only. Your dash and interior panels are an entirely different kind of plastic. This is besides the fact that B2B is also a finish RESTORER, not a protectant. I am not sure what it will do to your interior, I have never used it there, nor would I. That product has a specific purpose, and it is NOT intended for interiors. It is meant to restore black plastic EXTERIOR and UNDERHOOD trim that fades over time. After using it for this purpose, it is always best to follow up with a good Meguiars Plastic/vinyl protectant (I prefer Meguiar's Supreme Shine for the exterior trim), or a product like AeroSpace 303, which is only available online.
Old 01-05-13, 06:29 PM
peterpat
Driver School Candidate

New to the Lexus Club. I just purchased a used 2010 ES350, my first Lexus. But I am also having trouble with scratches on the side of the console. Every time I put my seat belt on I feel my ring hitting o n the console, never realizing I am making scratches. This looks terrible. How can a luxury expensive car have such a cheap piece of plastic.....well any way does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of these eye catching marks.

Thanks
Old 01-08-13, 05:54 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If it's black (I ONLY buy black interiors), I use a permanent marker for the scratches and rub off the excess while not dried. I only use cleaners specific for plastic or vinyl (Plexus) and only 303 for a protectant.

http://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic.../dp/B00092CKN4

Amazon Amazon

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 01-31-13 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-30-13, 04:58 PM
winstoncol
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem with my gx. the center console coated with low quality paint gets scratch easily. i will never throw my fob in there anymore. im thinking of putting some protective film in that area close close to the cup holder.
Old 02-02-13, 08:59 AM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Having same problem with the wood trim after 2 months I had scratches in the wood on the center console I wanted to vomit. I was ready to replace all the parts then I saw how much they cost. I read in another post to use scratch out or any other scratch remover thats safe on clear coat and it took most of them out.
Old 01-03-14, 02:03 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Default You might try this ...

Not an expert detailer by any means but this stuff is amazing. Leaves a matte finish just like factory and is even safe for nav screens. I use it to clean my iPads too. I usually order it from Autopia but you can get it on Amazon, etc.

http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_cockpit_premium.html
Old 01-03-14, 03:16 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Herd72
Not an expert detailer by any means but this stuff is amazing. Leaves a matte finish just like factory and is even safe for nav screens. I use it to clean my iPads too. I usually order it from Autopia but you can get it on Amazon, etc.

http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_cockpit_premium.html
Been using this for years. Follow up with this for a nice looking surface:
http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_vinyl-rubber_care.html
Old 07-01-14, 10:41 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Default Scuff mark solution?

Despite my best efforts and padding, some luggage shifted when I had to stop short due to slow traffic in the rain during my trip this past weekend. Now I have a bunch of small whitish scuff marks on the soft plastic of the cargo area. I have ecru interior so the plastic is a tan or beige color. Is there anyway to cover these up? In my old Sequoia it was black and I used Back to Black or a similar product, but this is tan. I thought of Einstatt Cockpit Premium but have not tried it yet for fear it might make it worse. Anyone have suggestions? Minor I know but I am a detail freak although inexperienced at it and want to keep the GX as nice as possible.
Thanks for reading and any advice.
Jim in WV
Old 07-01-14, 10:56 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The plastic is just the type that gets ruined, I haven't thought of a solution yet. I am kind of thinking of lightly sanding the spots with some mineral spirits on the sandpaper. I used to work in a furniture factory and that is how they trained us to fix gouged and scratched plastic much like the stuff in the back of our cars.
Old 07-01-14, 11:50 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Don't knock it till ya try it, I use it on my C6 all the time.
Old 07-01-14, 02:23 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Do you soak that Magic Eraser in anything? I have never used one although I did hear a horror story about a lady who used one to get the bugs off the hood and headlights of her new Jaguar. I tried the Einstatt , did not seem to help much. That is my #1 gripe with all my Toyota vehicles - that soft plastic that scratches if you even touch it. ��

Quick Reply: Interior Scratches / Scuffs / Marks / Blemishes