GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Crack on Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-03, 03:52 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crack on Windshield

Well, I've received my first chip at the top of my windshield that has elongated into a 6 inch crack (no comment here ). This seems to happen about 3 months into any of my new vehicles, so it somehow does not surprise me.

Unfortunately, it is growing fairly rapidly and I now need to replace my windshield.

Has anybody had any experience with replacing a Windshield on these vehicles? I'm not sure that I trust just any old auto glass place to put a new one in since

a.) I want to ensure that it is a factory original and not one of the generic OEM aftermarket ones (I know from past experience that you sometimes have to fight with the glass places to get factory windshields since they make much more money on the OEM).

b.) They have to replace the rain sensor etc... on the new windshield.

Should this be something only done at the dealership or can a reputable auto glass company do it?

TIA
Old 09-07-03, 03:53 PM
brent0226
Driver

I want to know too. We have a ding at the base of the windshield too.
Old 09-08-03, 04:17 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Their should be no question about getting a Toyota/Lexus brand Windsheild for a replacement especially on a GX so new, and if you have full glass coverage you don't need to worry about where to go for a better price.

The Lexus Dealer I go to has a GX getting a new windsheild weekly, the tape and plastic is still on them the last one was cause it was distorted, that and in the shop they usually have 5 boxes of windsheilds sitting on the floor.

I would take it to the dealer, 1st reason is they seem to replace them a lot, at least here they do so the guy who does it knows what he is doing and 2, at Lexus they will put in nothin but OEM and 3, if you don't know a glass shop than Lexus it is, you better have full glas coverage, things are like 1000 bucks easy.

Should only take 20 minutes to replace it, I've seen it enough
Old 09-08-03, 08:02 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Spoke to the dealer today. They don't do any glass replacement there, but there is an auto glass place around the corner that handles all of their replacements so they are experienced with all the sensors, GPS antenna, etc...

Since it is a new model year, Insurance will not fight to get a genuine Lexus windshield (from what the glass company told me, many of them will cover a factory replacement for up to 2 years before they tell you they will only pay for OEM).

I'm having this done Wednesday just after my 5K service, so hopefully they can do a good job.
Old 09-11-03, 12:10 PM
lexusnc
Driver

I had the the glass on my GX470 replaced a couple weeks ago, due to a crack. I had the same experience , the Lexus place doesn't do the replacement, but recomended a shop. I insisted they use Lexus glass, and they and the insurance company did not have a problem, because nobody makes aftermarket glass for the GX yet. I watch them put the glass in and it came with preattached brackets for the rearview mirror / light sensor and the rain sensor. All the had to do was slide the two sensors out of the old windshield brackets, replace the windshield like normal and slide the sensors back in place on the new windshield. I was quite happy with the results and glad I had zero deductable because the replacment cost $935.00
Old 09-11-03, 07:18 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

go to any certified body shops that your insurnace recommends and purchase a windshield from there. there should be no problem
Old 09-12-03, 01:15 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also remember that the glass has a 99% UV protection built into it. When 3rd party manufacturers do begin to make windshields for it, we'll all want to make sure it has that too.
Old 09-12-03, 02:50 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a windshield replaced in my old RX and noticed that the replacement didn't have "Lexus" embossed on it. Not that it mattered a whole lot, but you can tell it wasn't original.
Old 09-12-03, 07:19 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

All set. No OEM available yet anyway and they replaced it with Lexus original glass. They even managed to transfer my Military Base sticker without destroying it and were kind enough to relocate my toll booth transponder. Very happy I am always nervous when replacing factory items since you never can be sure whether they will do a factory job...