GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 GX 470

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 03:52 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 04...

Just got an update from the sales folks for the 04s:

1. Kinetic suspension
2. Color choices (see previous threads)
3. NO GVWR correction for 6000+ lbs
4. No HIDS
5. Side airbags will now deploy in rollovers for the daring who take theirs offroad..something about roll-motion deployment?!?
6. There will now be internal tire pressure sensors
7. Rearview camera for the ppl who upgrade to the nav

Now a question for you folks:
1. Give me the stats on the conversion HID kits that some of you folks have installed...obviously Lexus does not feel that HIDS are safe for a vehicle this high up since it might blind oncoming traffic (repeating what he said)
2. Has anyone put a brush guard on their truck yet? The guy mentioned lexus does not recommend this since it might interfere with the airbags...umm arent the abs sensors inertia/momentum sensors?!?
3. Anyone know if lexus has 18's like they do for the RX330? They look nice.

Thanks

Last edited by tetra7; 07-14-03 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 08:11 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As for #1 nothing yet, but hopefully in the next month.
Old 07-15-03, 08:11 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by looknow12
As for #1 nothing yet, but hopefully in the next month.
Call Proxenon and nag them.
Old 07-16-03, 10:09 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by looknow12
Call Proxenon and nag them.
he said next week maybe.. but you knew this allready
Old 07-16-03, 11:36 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Any chance of getting black leather?
Old 07-16-03, 08:53 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default No thanks...

I truly cannot believe that Lexus wouldn't figure a way to correct the GLVW for 04'. Doesn't matter anyway, if there are no factory HIDs for the GX in '04, I'll just wait another year and get a loaded X5 to tide me over until they get their heads out of their butts and put them on there. There is no excuse for a $50k+ SUV not to have HIDs. Same goes for the LX. I'm sure people agree that once you have HIDs, you will never want to go back to halogens.
Old 07-17-03, 07:30 AM
MJMeucci
Driver

I was told that the GX and LX will never have HID's because of their height. My source told me that it is unsafe to equip a vehicle of the GX's or Lx's height with HID headlamps becasue the brightness of the HID's can impair other drivers vision at night. This makes sense to me, but I do agree that once you have HID's it is very difficult to go back to halogen, I always feel like I can't see something.
Old 07-17-03, 09:24 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default I know Lexus says that...

So does that mean that Escalades are unsafe since they have HIDs?...Surely they ride as high as the GX and LX's.
Old 07-17-03, 01:13 PM
gteach26
Rookie

03 Navigators have HID also. I've heard the "safety" thing before but I wonder if that is the real reason. The only HID's that have ever bothered me in on-coming traffic were probrably poorly aimed aftermarket equipment. I LOVE having the HID's and would hate to lose them. C'mon Lexus, at least offer them as options! If you want, add another legal disclaimer to the Nav screen that releases you from liability if another driver is blinded by them. I'm sure no one would mind that.
Old 07-17-03, 11:08 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

hahaa /me imagines having to press accept twice (
Old 08-16-03, 09:20 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The latest "Auto Spies" only lists four changes for the 2004 GX. Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, Tire Pressure Monitor, Roll Over Sensor and Back Up Camera. Disappointing list, if true.
Old 08-23-03, 08:58 AM
bclebaron
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 GX update

Previous poster indicated he had official confirmation from Lexus that GVW issues on 04 models have not been addressed. Let me amend that. I am a 13-yr veteran sales pro with Lexus and just read the latest advisory this week. I won't try to update everything (just got a minute here), but one major change is brewing for a number of folks, i.e. the GVWR issue. What the advisory states is this: "Effective with October 03 production Lexus tentatively plans to raise GVWR to *6100* lbs."

Now, "tentatively" may stand out like the proverbial sore thumb - but oviously the six-person Team at the Top assigned to investigate this issue, found what they needed. And taking vehicles back from consumers when they're otherwise perfect I'm sure did not augur well with anyone at the top brass level. Pretty sure a head or two rolled over this, supremely avoidable issue.

Last edited by bclebaron; 08-23-03 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-23-03, 12:02 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Default Re: 2004 GX update

Originally posted by bclebaron
Previous poster indicated he had official confirmation from Lexus that GVW issues on 04 models have not been addressed. Let me amend that. I am a 13-yr veteran sales pro with Lexus and just read the latest advisory this week. I won't try to update everything (just got a minute here), but one major change is brewing for a number of folks, i.e. the GVWR issue. What the advisory states is this: "Effective with October 03 production Lexus tentatively plans to raise GVWR to *6100* lbs."

Now, "tentatively" may stand out like the proverbial sore thumb - but oviously the six-person Team at the Top assigned to investigate this issue, found what they needed. And taking vehicles back from consumers when they're otherwise perfect I'm sure did not augur well with anyone at the top brass level. Pretty sure a head or two rolled over this, supremely avoidable issue.
Could you possibly comment on what the status is on the vibration issue? Is Lexus any closer to finding a solution?
Old 08-23-03, 11:35 PM
bclebaron
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration issue

I do know that Lexus attaches serious credulity to the vibration issue, and that numerous complaints have been logged by now. Can't comment beyond that. None of my own clients has had the problem to date.
Old 08-24-03, 05:52 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Just picked up the 2004 GX brochure (tmy contact at lexus rocks)

The tire pressure monitor is standard
The kinetic dynamic susp is an option
The backup camera is standard with the Nav Upgrade
Also mentions a sports bumper (anyone know what that is?)
Now the side airbags will deploy in a rollover situation
One more thing, the curb weight has been increased to 4718 (approx. 38 lbs from last years).

It appears these additions will be available with the Nov 03 builds.:

Quick Reply: 2004 GX 470