GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

External DVD player and NAV

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-03, 03:41 PM
robinzon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External DVD player and NAV

After doing some research on the subject it seems that 1. there is no "cable" from Lexus that can be used to connect an external DVD player to the Nav system, what you need is the entire factory DVD-entertainment system ECU in order to do the hookup, which apparently, Lexus does not sell separately - hey if you can get it let me know. 2. the Video-Nav box is not compatible with the GX series as of now....

Now, my question is for those who DO have the factory DVD system, does that come with and extra display for the rear passangers or just the DVD player that only plays when the car is stopped? (w/o the override clearly). Since if there is no rear LCD then what the hell is the point of the system since I would think its essentially designed for the "kids" on the rear seat.... ?!?! also, is there a set of outputs for EXTRA LCDs. Since I would be interested for example in placing more LCDs in the vehicle such as in the passanger visor and the headrests.....

Last concern, I see some people have been putting BASS Boxes in the trucks, where are you getting LINE LEVEL Signals from????? DOes the Mark Levinson have outboard AMPS so that you can split the line outputs from the head unit or did you have to downcovert the AMPLIFIED lines to the LINE LEVEL ?????

thanks
Old 03-24-03, 04:36 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

It has a flip-down 7" screen in the back, a remote to operate the DVD player and two sets of wireless headphones.
Old 03-24-03, 12:12 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default It plays in back while moving

I wasn't sure if this post is needed....but to clarify....the DVD plays in the back while the car is moving, with the radio/CD playing etc. (of course you need to be wearing the headphones)....its only the front display that is affected by the parking brake etc.

My wife doesn't want to sit in the front anymore - whenever we take a long drive shes in the back watching "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.
Old 03-24-03, 01:14 PM
bluntguy
Rookie

My installer disconnected the factory sub and wired my aftermarket amp directly to the input of the sub amp in the back. I didn't see him do it, but that's how it was done. We originally tried hooking it up to the output of factory amp with really bad results.

shawn
Old 03-24-03, 02:47 PM
robinzon
Driver

Knicksfan, that is DVD of Buffy she is watching? or did you get a TV tuner connected to a set of AUX inputs?

Also, when the car is indeed stopped/e-braked and the front DVD works, does the sound come out of ALL the speakers ? you don't need headphones for that clearly?!?! also it is the MODE button that you have to press when you are parked to get the front screen working?
Old 03-24-03, 02:53 PM
robinzon
Driver

Oh,btw... on that matter, is there a set of video OUTPUTS. In a sense that you could potentially
get a VISOR LCD installed so as to the front passanger being able to watch movies as well.

If there is no set of outputs I wonder how difficult it is to split the set coming into the Rear DVD and route it to the front, meaning if there is amplification of the signal is required or it can be split....