GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Transmission fluid service for a 2006

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 05:25 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission fluid service for a 2006

Hello,
I searched and found several threads on a transmission fluid replacement - one where about 4 qts can be replaced through drain and refill. Mann has a sticky on this procedure. Also, I found a reference to one where entire volume can be replaced through breaking into the inlet to the transmission cooler on DS side. Is there a DIY on this method? How much volume of WS fluid is needed? Also, would appreciate a DIY for the "drain and refill" method, if available. Please post links.

I have a 2006 with a "sealed" transmission.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-15, 06:14 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

You can drain + fill doing it DIY if you are VERY careful to measure how much fluid comes out, and then putting the EXACT amount of fresh fluid in.

Chip H.
Old 01-26-15, 10:24 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chiph9
You can drain + fill doing it DIY if you are VERY careful to measure how much fluid comes out, and then putting the EXACT amount of fresh fluid in.

Chip H.
Thanks Chip. I found a write-up of the "drain and refill" method along with the temp measurement on the GS forum. This method suggests replacing about 3 qts (measure and replace) each time in 4 steps thus replacing about 12 qts. After the final step, check the level through overflow at the proper temperature. This looks simple enough.

Now, I am looking for a method that allows to drain the ATF by opening the supply side to the trans cooler....just to compare. I believe I have seen this mentioned here but cannot seem to find any write-up. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 01-31-15, 11:46 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
this site has lots of posts about the trans fluid.

i suggest dropping the pan after you drain as much oil as you can and then replace the filter. the key to this diy is if you take out 5qts then you put back 5qts, so watch for spillage, etc.

just a note, you need a in-lb torq wrench to do pan and filter bolts.
Thanks. I am thinking of doing two regular flushes first and then drop the pan for the third one. Is this the correct order or do you recommend dropping the pan on the first one followed by two regular flushes?

Thanks for the tip on the lbs-in torque wrench.

Cheers.
Old 02-01-15, 06:50 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe normal protocol is to drop the pan and change filter / screen and then do the repetitive drain and fills. Dropping the pan yields roughly 5 quarts and then your subsequent drain and fills yield roughly 3 quarts each. This method gets the most amount of fluid out in the begining making the ratio of new to old fluid higher and then every other drain and fill continues to bring that ratio higher just at a slower rate due to the reduced fluid amount you are removing each time. I would also while clean the bottom of the pan and the magnets. You will need a few other items to do the whole job. I compiled a list in another post for someone who was doing the job...let me find the post and I will link you to it.
Originally Posted by Options2k
Thanks. I am thinking of doing two regular flushes first and then drop the pan for the third one. Is this the correct order or do you recommend dropping the pan on the first one followed by two regular flushes?

Thanks for the tip on the lbs-in torque wrench.

Cheers.
Old 02-01-15, 06:55 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a great thread regarding the procedure: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-on-gx-7.html

On the last page I have listed the part numbers for the gaskets and o rings etc.... That you will need to do the job. You will also need to remove an exhaust pipe that crosses the pan to completely remove the pan. I think that procedure is mentioned in the thread I linked you to above. This is a very easy procedure if you just follow the steps correctly.
Old 02-01-15, 01:24 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Here is a great thread regarding the procedure: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l-on-gx-7.html

On the last page I have listed the part numbers for the gaskets and o rings etc.... That you will need to do the job. You will also need to remove an exhaust pipe that crosses the pan to completely remove the pan. I think that procedure is mentioned in the thread I linked you to above. This is a very easy procedure if you just follow the steps correctly.
Thanks. I now have the parts to replace the filter and the pan gasket etc. I checked my 2006 truck and the transmission pan can be easily accessed without any obstruction from an exhaust pipe. This is the good news. However, the bad news is that I cannot seem to locate the fill plug. Can someone who has a 2006 point me where is the fill plug? Is it on the DS or the PS side? Picture or two will definitely help. Appreciate it.

Taco_kid: You have a 2006 so perhaps you can help with the above. Also, what is the torque spec on the pan bolts and the filter bolts?

Cheers

Cheers.
Old 02-01-15, 10:17 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is the extract from the repair manual. I hope this helps. I have also added the T/Case doc if required.
cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Transfer Case.pdf (47.4 KB, 375 views)
Old 02-02-15, 07:09 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mann777
Here is the extract from the repair manual. I hope this helps. I have also added the T/Case doc if required.
cheers
Thanks. I was able to locate the fill plug, last night. It was in a bit higher location (on the PS) than I thought hence could not see it earlier.

I am all set to do this....just need the torque specs of the pan bolts and the filter bolts. Mann777: Do you have a sheet from the repair manual on this?

Cheers.
Old 02-02-15, 12:12 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

hey bro, a guy posted a link to the entire shop manual over in the maintenance section. check that out
Old 02-08-15, 06:01 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Default Completed ATF replacement process

Update: I completed the ATF replacement process today. My truck has a bit more 100k miles and I bought it when it had about 12k miles. When I first drained the pan, about 3 quarts came out, very dark in color with only a hint of reddish/brown. It also had a funny smell! Then I dropped the pan...it was not that bad with not much metal shavings attached to the magnets. Another quart was in the pan and then I removed the filter which had about 1/4 quart of ATF. I cleaned everything and replaced the filter and pan gasket. Replaced the fluid. Drove around and then did 2 more drain/refills the next day. Finally, checked the fluid level through the procedure in the manual. Completed the process and went for a test drive. I can definitely feel the difference. I am glad I replaced the fluid. I intend to keep this truck for a long time

I had prepared a word document for myself by collecting input and pictures from various threads. This was to prepare myself for the whole process. I am attaching this for folks who want to do the ATF replacement.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
ATF Replacement in GX.docx (482.1 KB, 532 views)
Old 02-09-15, 05:26 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice write up. I got all 12 quarts out at same time. Drained 3 and refilled 3. started car 3 second, Drained 3 more and refilled 3, etc until fluid came out cherry red. Then did top off procedure. When you drive it around, you are mixing old and new. But very nice write up. It is not a tough job at all.