GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Possible new owner of a 2004 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 10:35 PM
anonymousu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new owner of a 2004 GX470

Hello forum folks. I'm most likely going to buy a new used 2004 Lexus GX470 tomorrow. I've always wanted one since they're rock solid and luxurious. From my several hours of forum searching i think i know what to check for before buying:

1)air susp condition/leaks,
2)transfer case leakage,
3)dashboard cracking,
4)and driveshaft clunk.

Did i miss anything?

And my main intention for this purchase is to

1)get into a cheap vehicle and sell my $1000/mo lease vehicle and
2)lift the sucker.

I've seen on the forum that most people lift their GX470 2.5"-3" taller with 33" tires. Can you folks please recommend a lift kit or help me piece together a kit for me? I don't know if the GX470 i'll be looking at tomorrow will have air suspension, but if it does can i replace all that stuff with regular lifted springs/struts?

Thank you very much
Old 04-18-14, 05:31 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a semi newbie, I don't know too much about lifting the vehicle, but I do know that 2005 and newer has few more horses. (around 270 hp vs around 230hp)

To me, cheaper vehicle is like... 1983 Toyota Tercel... lol.
Just curious, what is that 1000$ per month vehicle??
Old 04-18-14, 05:49 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the radiator for leaks in the bottom corners; based on mileage check the timing belt was done. If you care about minor things check the rear seat cup holders work.

For your suspension questions have a look at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...coilovers.html
Old 04-18-14, 01:18 PM
anonymousu
Driver School Candidate

Turns out the left rear air suspension is bad. I plan to suspension lift this vehicle eventually but not quite yet because the apartment where I live has a low garage ceiling. How easy is it to replace with standard shocks and springs?
Old 04-18-14, 06:39 PM
anonymousu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
Being a semi newbie, I don't know too much about lifting the vehicle, but I do know that 2005 and newer has few more horses. (around 270 hp vs around 230hp)

To me, cheaper vehicle is like... 1983 Toyota Tercel... lol.
Just curious, what is that 1000$ per month vehicle??
Thanks for the info. I found a really good deal on a '04 so i'm 95% decided on that but the additional 35hp is very tempting. And besides, theres not too many options here in Hawaii.

I have a guy who will give me a few thousand and assume responsibility of the lease for my 2013 Porsche Cayenne. Its super nice but i honestly think its cursed cause it already has couple accidents

1)A month after ownership we were at the bank, walked out after completing our transaction, and some old lady reversed into the side at full throttle. It's pretty obvious she mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal but she kept denying and blamed it on the vehicle. There were burn out marks from her reversing and the whole side of my car looked like a crushed soda can.

2)Not too long after that someone decided to leave a pretty nasty door ding. It was pretty large for a door ding and it was on a body line. My PDR guy was able to get it out 95% though.

3)Not long after that a kid side swipes the other side of the car while trying to over take us in a parking lot to steal our parking stall

4)I was supposed to sell the car this past Monday. The night before i was unloading groceries from Costco, as i parked the car and opened the door a super strong gust of wind ripped the door out of my hand and slammed the door into a wooden railing. The damage was pretty bad, on a body line, and near the edge of the door. I was surprised my PDR guy was able to remove 85% of the damage to the point its hard to notice from eye level. I still need to replace the interior door handle from my claw marks when the door ripped out of my hand.

All this as well as other minor things all occurred in less than a year of ownership.

Originally Posted by shadowmite
Check the radiator for leaks in the bottom corners; based on mileage check the timing belt was done. If you care about minor things check the rear seat cup holders work.

For your suspension questions have a look at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...coilovers.html
I saw that thread and i've been eyeing those coilovers. As of right now, i need to figure out if i'll fix the rear air suspension, swap to steel springs, or not buy the car.

The dash on this vehicle is horrible.

Last edited by anonymousu; 04-18-14 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 07:42 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife really likes the Cayenne, so much that we went to go see it after dinner last Saturday. Of course, the one she looks at, out of about 10 Cayennes, is the lone Cayenne Turbo S. ($160K sticker vs 70k for base). I said she can buy one, when she gets her NP, start her healthcare business, and when that takes off.

I had a Fox Mustang when I was still in my teens, and had a luck like your Porsche. ***** happens sometimes, multiple times. It's a sweet vehicle, regardless.

If someone can come up with leather dash cover that replaces the cracking one, that'd be cool... hey, business opportunity? (seems like all cars nowadays have cracking dash)