Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Wheel Well Engine Compartment Flaps, Looking For A Part

Old 02-24-14, 12:12 PM   #1
BradTank
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Default Wheel Well Engine Compartment Flaps, Looking For A Part

I noticed on the GX, the rubber flaps that are in between the wheel well and engine compartment are missing on both sides. On mine, they look like they've just been torn over time.

I searched here, and apparently someone was saying dealers removed these over heating concerns?

My issue is, on the passenger side, there's nothing blocking the wheel well from the alternator, and it can't be good to get water and all the other sort of debris sprayed right on it like that.

Get anyone confirm if there was indeed a TSB to remove these flaps, and the original part number if I wanted to replace?

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
BradTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 01:05 PM   #2
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Heck I have never heard of this at all! that is a dealers line of B.S if I have ever heard of lol....Dont know the part nunber, but yes get them and install!
Booyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 01:18 PM   #3
BradTank
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah View Post
Heck I have never heard of this at all! that is a dealers line of B.S if I have ever heard of lol....Dont know the part nunber, but yes get them and install!
I agree it sounds fishy, but this was the thread I was referring to, wanted to see if there was any merit to it:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-f...rotection.html

It just doesn't seem like it would be a big factor in cooling, and I don't like all of that debris getting knocked onto the accessories/ serpentine belt.
Old 02-24-14, 01:33 PM   #4
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I would think that the huge plastic Lexus engine cover and the other 2 plastic engine bay covers would cause over heating issues before hose little flimsy dust / dirt shields would.

Click the image to open in full size.

The dust / dirt shield part numbers can be found below:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html

▲ click the pic to view my mods ▲
- Lifted 2.5" Front Icon Coilovers w/ CDC Valve ❚ Rear Bilstein 5100s
18" BFD Wheels ❚ 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
HID Retro *SC430 Projectors* ❚ Interior & Exterior LEDs
VaisTech ❚ Coastal Lockpick
Sport Taillights
5% Llumar CTX Tint All Around
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 07:46 PM   #5
colink1
Driver School Candidate

ckenton ckenton1 ckenton1
Send a message via MSN to colink1 Send a message via Yahoo to colink1

Are you talking about these - found under front fenders and dash apron:

FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL UPPER
FRONT FENDER SEAL
FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL (RH - RIGHT / PASSENGER SIDE) , MARK : FL

I just ordered these from Sewell for my 2008 GX470
colink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 09:04 AM   #6
470reasons
Pole Position

I just ordered a set from Toyotapartsoverstock. Haven't received a shipping confirmation yet. I did get an email from them stating they could not confirm the parts would fit my GX and that they would not refund my money if the parts did not fit. Told them to ship the parts. The prices were much lower than from Lexus dealers. I will report in on if they are the correct parts.

This is what was ordered:

(2) SEAL, FRONT FENDER; SHIELD, FRONT FENDER SPLASH, REAR LH; SHIELD, FRONT FENDER SPLASH, REAR RH 5388635020 $17.68

(1) SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON, FRONT RH; SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON, RH; SEAL, FRONT FENDER APRON, UPPER 5373535150 $16.41

(8) CLIP(FOR FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL) 9046710186 $1.39

I did not order the left-front piece since it was in good shape. Ordered the rear l +r (same part number, plus the right-front, and some mounting clips. Note: There are two different part numbers for the left-front piece (KDSS and regular-FL).

EDIT:

The shields arrived and have been installed. The fit is very floppy if the factory mounting holes are used. I used the factory holes for the top rows of fasteners and punched new holes with a Phillips head screwdriver for the others. Not sure why all that 'flop' is required. Can't believe there's that much flex in the frame.

Ordered new push pins from Amazon. Better quality and cheaper than Lexus.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R1DQF4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R1DQF4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Part number 5388635020 is for the right and left REAR shields. Just flip one shield over to make a pair.
Here are pics of both rear shields installed.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Part number 5373535150 is for the right Front shield .

Part number 5373635150 is for the left FRONT shield (non KDS)
2004 GX470: Icon Stage 2 lift kit (3"), Cooper 285/70/17 AT'3, Konig Six Shooter 17 x 8 zero offset rims, COMPLETELY de-badged, Plasti-Dipped grill. Grom USB2P USB port, WeatherTech laser mats, K4O F/R radar detectors., K4O Front l@dar detector/j@mmer. Blueskysea G1W Dashcam. Cobra75WXST CB. Garmin 2797LMT GPS.

Last edited by 470reasons; 04-21-14 at 03:24 PM..
470reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 11:01 AM   #7
BradTank
Lead Lap

I ended up just making my own with some material I had for "free", I didn't like throwing $100 at a few random sheets of plastic that will likely just tear again.

I'm amazed Lexus made these out of such fragile material for a vehicle that's supposed to be made for rugged terrain. My car has never really seen any off-road duty, yet they were all torn off. It sounds like it's a pretty common issue.
Old 04-08-14, 11:12 AM   #8
470reasons
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradTank View Post
I ended up just making my own with some material I had for "free", I didn't like throwing $100 at a few random sheets of plastic that will likely just tear again.

I'm amazed Lexus made these out of such fragile material for a vehicle that's supposed to be made for rugged terrain. My car has never really seen any off-road duty, yet they were all torn off. It sounds like it's a pretty common issue.

Good for you! What material did you use? I thought about using thin aluminum sheet. When the new OEM panels arrive, I'm going to trace them on construction paper for future reference.
2004 GX470: Icon Stage 2 lift kit (3"), Cooper 285/70/17 AT'3, Konig Six Shooter 17 x 8 zero offset rims, COMPLETELY de-badged, Plasti-Dipped grill. Grom USB2P USB port, WeatherTech laser mats, K4O F/R radar detectors., K4O Front l@dar detector/j@mmer. Blueskysea G1W Dashcam. Cobra75WXST CB. Garmin 2797LMT GPS.
470reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 12:00 PM   #9
BradTank
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 470reasons View Post
Good for you! What material did you use? I thought about using thin aluminum sheet. When the new OEM panels arrive, I'm going to trace them on construction paper for future reference.
I had some random material from an old car restoration project that was a sort of polyester base and black. Similar to a trunk mat. It blended in perfectly.

You really could use anything, even something like roof tar paper would probably work. I just popped the old plastic out, cut out a rough estimate and clipped it in with the clips that were still left. Only took a few minutes. If you had some thin aluminum laying around, you could probably make one that lasted forever. Maybe spray it with a can of undercoating.

Seems to have held up fine. I figured worst case if it didn't hold up, I could always just buy the real thing, but no issues. All it's doing is blocking debris from getting into the engine compartment that could come off the tires. It doesn't seem to be getting much airflow banging it around, so it it doesn't seem to need to be anything hi tech.
Old 04-08-14, 12:00 PM