GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Problems already?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 11:36 PM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems already?

Preface: I have searched the forum but haven't found a definitive answer...

A week ago I picked up my 05 GX with 55k. Loving it so far btw...

Earlier today I had planned to grab a quick lunch out of the office. I went out to the vehicle, started up as usual and then proceeded to try and roll down all windows. (it was ***** hot in the truck!)

To my chagrin only the drivers side would roll down from the drivers master panel. I also noticed that the steering wheel didn't return to it's normal position after inserting the key. Additionally the mirrors didn't tilt when I put it in reverse. Also, the drivers side master door lock switch now does nothing.

Upon further investigation I lost the ability to roll all windows down with the remote AND while inserting the key in the door to unlock.

Now, all of this was FULLY functional just hours before...and the truck simply was sitting in the parking lot up until this point.

This obviously is more than having to just reprogram the windows, as other elements are not functioning.

Could this be the battery? FYI, I believe it's fuse 29 that COULD cause this...it is NOT blown and is fine. Could it be a relay. Seems to be affecting too many things to be a short or and actuator...among other somewhat common failures I found while searching.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-07-13, 08:05 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Any extended warranties? Having that many issues all at once sounds more like a computer failure of some sort. It's certainly not common, but sounds like one for the dealer.
Old 09-07-13, 08:38 AM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like an issue with the battery connection. If the vehicle looses power the windows need to be reset/reprgrammed. A search on this site will find that process for you. I would then check for corrosion or a loose connection at the battery terminals.
Old 09-07-13, 08:45 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

What RZ said sounds way better.
Old 09-07-13, 09:07 AM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rz500
Sounds like an issue with the battery connection. If the vehicle looses power the windows need to be reset/reprgrammed. A search on this site will find that process for you. I would then check for corrosion or a loose connection at the battery terminals.
I agree with the battery piece as the clock was off too. But it's not just the windows (resetting them doesn't work by the way)

Could the battery be that smoked that it does't power those adequately yet it still cranks the engine over just fine?

Side note, I do believe it's the original battery. The battery life indicator on top however, does nothing. It's all black, no colors, red dots, nothing...
Old 09-07-13, 09:58 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Wow... this is a good one!

If the clock was off and your steering wheel stopped mid way to position as well, I'd definitely take a look at the battery before thinking about relays etc. Sometimes, as strange as it seems, the simplest answer is the correct one. As mentioned before, take both terminals off and check for good connection. Take a really, really good look at where the ground cable attaches to the frame.

Do you have a load tester? If so, test the battery and the alternator. If you don't have one, I'm guessing that most stores that sell batteries will have one and may test your battery and charging system for free?

As for the windows, is there any chance you didn't get the procedure exactly right? Read the procedure in your owners manual and try again. I've seen it done improperly and not work the first time.

Failing that, perhaps Mann777 can give you some insight before you head to the dealership where you may or may not get someone that has a clue.

Let us know...

Chris
Old 09-07-13, 12:30 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Does the nav system work?
Old 09-07-13, 05:28 PM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lepoch
Does the nav system work?
Nav works,,,
Old 09-07-13, 06:22 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixer
I agree with the battery piece as the clock was off too. But it's not just the windows (resetting them

Side note, I do believe it's the original battery. The battery life indicator on top however, does nothing. It's all black, no colors, red dots, nothing...
I believe it is the battery issue. The voltage on an exhausted battery may drop too much to reset the ECU during the starting up. At normal the OEM battery eyes should look color (blue or red?- don't remember). If it is all black, means the battery is almost dead or dry out. You may check the battery water level by opening the small cover on the battery top. If water is low, adding water to the battery may save it for a while. I have the OEM battery black eyes at its 7 years and had a couple jump starts. Added water made it last another year before it totally died. Replaced with a Walmart Maxx and so far so good.
Good luck.

Last edited by tz693; 09-07-13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 11:24 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sixer, Just buy a new battery & start over. If--as you suspect--that's the original battery, then a new battery is waaay overdue.
Old 09-08-13, 11:54 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep Put a New battery in it first thing--weak batteries can do some weird stuff
Old 09-10-13, 06:45 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

Default Follow up...

Did you find the answer?
Old 09-10-13, 12:33 PM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Crispy3M
Did you find the answer?
Not yet. I reached back out to the dealership I bought it from and let them know what's up. They said to bring it in and they'll check it out. Their first appointment is this Friday...which won't work for me.
Old 09-19-13, 11:09 AM
Sixer
Driver School Candidate

Not yet. I reached back out to the dealership I bought it from and let them know what's up. They said to bring it in and they'll check it out. Their first appointment is this Friday...which won't work for me.
**Update**

I brought it back to the BMW dealership I purchased it from first thing Monday morning. Well, here we are, Thursday, and they still have not been able to fix the issue. At this point they've replaced the window control module. That solved nothing. Then they replaced a computer or brain unit in there, again, nothing. They're giving up. They're actually bringing it to the Lexus dealer down the way.

Hopefully Lexus is able to tackle this one.

I must say, Minnetonka BMW has treated me very well. They are stand-up folks!

More to come...
Old 09-19-13, 11:29 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

**Update**

I brought it back to the BMW dealership I purchased it from first thing Monday morning. Well, here we are, Thursday, and they still have not been able to fix the issue. At this point they've replaced the window control module. That solved nothing. Then they replaced a computer or brain unit in there, again, nothing. They're giving up. They're actually bringing it to the Lexus dealer down the way.

Hopefully Lexus is able to tackle this one.

I must say, Minnetonka BMW has treated me very well. They are stand-up folks!

More to come...
I would think that a BMW dealership would be the last place that should attempt any repairs. It would of served them better to take it to lexus from the gitgo. German technology and Japanese technology are very dissimilar. There probably is a very specific reason you lost all of this functionality all at once. Just changing parts blindly is not the way to go. I wonder did they pull any codes ? Very interested in hearing the rest of the story.

Quick Reply: Problems already?