GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 gx470 air ride issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 05:11 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 gx470 air ride issues

In the morning my wifes GX will be riding so low and wont adjust itself in the height unless you use the switch. The ride control states normal on dash and will go through the settings High, N and Low when you go through the switch settings. The compressor goes on and i don't hear any leak. It will be fine for hours sitting in the garage but then in the morning it just rides low and does not adjust itself unless you use the switch. Im thinking more of the ride sensors but does anyone have any other ideas??
Old 06-10-13, 05:48 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Just to add some more info......once the truck is at the normal height its fine it seems like that first initial wake up at start up and at shut off. When you shut the truck off which sensor tell the computer or the other sensors to lower it or raise it is is the left and right height sensors or a control sensor?
Old 06-11-13, 06:04 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Doubt the sensors are telling it to lower when parked. The truck can only do this when running. You're likely having the sane issue I was with air springs leaking. It would become far more noticeable in colder conditions. There are threads on spring conversions as well as air spring replacements. There's goods and bads to both. Do a search for shocks, then another for springs and read till your heart's content.

I went the factory air spring route and spent $816 including labor. You can buy the parts from Sewel or Carson at a discount. They are vendors on this site. Good luck

Last edited by rj4510; 06-11-13 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 06:19 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Originally Posted by rj4510
Doubt the sensors are telling it to lower when parked. The truck can only do this when running. You're likely having the sane issue I was with air springs leaking. It would become far more noticeable in colder conditions. There are threads on spring conversions as well as air spring replacements. There's goods and bads to both. Do a search for shocks, then another for springs and read till your heart's content.

I went the factory air spring route and spent $816 including labor. You can buy the parts from Sewel or Carson at a discount. They are vendors on this site. Good luck
Thanks RJ for the information but the main question i have that i can't find is what triggers the compressor to go on and off when you start 'or turn the truck off. I'm thinking if it's a sensor or a control valve that is my problem. It works fine and can hold air throughout the day even through the nights every once and awhile. Basically i need to wake it up when i start it manually, i need to hit the switch because it won't do it itself. IF someone can tell me what triggers the compressor that will help me!!!!
Old 06-11-13, 07:32 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinniety
Thanks RJ for the information but the main question i have that i can't find is what triggers the compressor to go on and off when you start 'or turn the truck off. I'm thinking if it's a sensor or a control valve that is my problem. It works fine and can hold air throughout the day even through the nights every once and awhile. Basically i need to wake it up when i start it manually, i need to hit the switch because it won't do it itself. IF someone can tell me what triggers the compressor that will help me!!!!
Mine would do the exact same thing and I chased after sensors for about a year. They kept testing fine and would work fine for a bit, then back to sagging after a while. What seems to happen now and again is the computer registers unity when parked. It then would still register unity when started, if you have any dead spots at all on the sensors, which with older sensors is hugely possible. By toggling the rear manually, you actually move the sensor arms and send the signal back to the computer showing the real hight and things are good again, till the next time.

Try this, it may work for you as well as it did for me: start the car and let it inflate the springs, till the pump goes off. Then, use the rocker to lower the rear and turn off the engine. See if you can hear any leaks. Bounce up and down on the rear bumper and see if this triggers a leak. It may help you find the culprit.

In my case, the leak was around the top fold of the air bag, so it would pinch off, when inflated. Only a drop in pressure would reveal the leak as the hole would become exposed. It's worth a shot.