GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 Air Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 07:35 PM
polecat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 470 Air Suspension Problems

I have a 2003 GX 470, the air suspension often deflates to axles and stays there. Ride is unbearable, I removed the rear height sensors and used an ohmeter to test them and they seem to be working fine (ohms change as I move the pivot arm, goes from 423 ohms to 3.3 K full stroke on both sensors) It will deflate to axles and there are no flashing lights and the manual height switch doesnt do anything when I push it, it just stays in N. Every few days the suspension will start working and air up and ride fine. What else could it be besides sensors or is it the sensors even though they seem to be working fine. Could it be an adjustment on sensors. Where is the height control exhaust valve located? Once it airs up to normal can I just disconnect the exhaust valve so it cant deflate? Please help Thanks.
Old 02-17-13, 07:38 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by polecat
I have a 2003 GX 470, the air suspension often deflates to axles and stays there. Ride is unbearable, I removed the rear height sensors and used an ohmeter to test them and they seem to be working fine (ohms change as I move the pivot arm, goes from 423 ohms to 3.3 K full stroke on both sensors) It will deflate to axles and there are no flashing lights and the manual height switch doesnt do anything when I push it, it just stays in N. Every few days the suspension will start working and air up and ride fine. What else could it be besides sensors or is it the sensors even though they seem to be working fine. Could it be an adjustment on sensors. Where is the height control exhaust valve located? Once it airs up to normal can I just disconnect the exhaust valve so it cant deflate? Please help Thanks.
My sensors read fine at the dealer after paying a $65 diagnostic fee. Dealer quoted me over 3K for repairs to include shocks and other stuff. That was three years ago and all I did was get under the truck and in my case, move the sensor arms up as high as they went and have been driving that way since. In my case, moving them up all the way actually moved the truck to the proper ride height, so for the most part the issue is gone. I still find that the air bags deflate on occasion, but I can move rear up and down and it seems to reset the sensors enough to make it work again.

Long story short, The sensors can be bad, even if they test well. Play around with them a bit and see if you can find a good spot. You can move the arms up and down the sensors and still adjust the arm lengths themselves to compensate for the change. I've been milking mine for as long as I can, but you have to be careful not to ride too high or too low. That will tend to mess up the bags and that'll be pretty costly.

My dealer told me to never play around with those sensors, but It's plenty safe enough to play around with. Just make small adjustments and test between changes. In my case, every time I made a change to the arms nothing happened till about the 6th or 7th time. Then suddenly, the airbags started pumping up. That was a sure sign the sensors were the culprit, even if they checked out fine at the dealer.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-18-13, 10:05 AM
polecat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks i will try that and report back. My wife did call me today and said it pumped up.when she parked on.a steep.incline. This is the second time the same steep.incline made the system pump.up. I am guessing that the steep.incline.is.causing the sensors to.move to a good spot therefore making compressor click.on.
Old 02-18-13, 04:26 PM
thx10
Rookie

Quick question regarding the automatic suspension. A little off topic. ..

What mode do most people drive it in? Comfort, Sport, or somewhere in between?
Old 02-25-13, 05:45 AM
Tipler
Pit Crew

I drive in comfort all the time .
Old 02-25-13, 10:44 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thx10
Quick question regarding the automatic suspension. A little off topic. ..

What mode do most people drive it in? Comfort, Sport, or somewhere in between?
I tried different modes several time, and stick with comfort mode now.
Old 02-25-13, 11:06 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I replaced the passenger tires with C-load rated Duratracs, and find that sport can be too firm at times due to the stiffer sidewalls, but does keep the body roll in check better than the comfort setting. I've settled at one click higher than comfort setting for the majority of driving, but I still play with the switch from time to time and confirm I'm in the right setting for the conditions.
Old 02-25-13, 07:35 PM
lakewaylex
Driver School Candidate

We keep ours in Sport, had a tough time keeping up with an x5 the other day - still a lot of roll feeling in the curves.
Old 03-28-13, 08:18 AM
Zaner21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rj4510
My sensors read fine at the dealer after paying a $65 diagnostic fee. Dealer quoted me over 3K for repairs to include shocks and other stuff. That was three years ago and all I did was get under the truck and in my case, move the sensor arms up as high as they went and have been driving that way since. In my case, moving them up all the way actually moved the truck to the proper ride height, so for the most part the issue is gone. I still find that the air bags deflate on occasion, but I can move rear up and down and it seems to reset the sensors enough to make it work again.

Long story short, The sensors can be bad, even if they test well. Play around with them a bit and see if you can find a good spot. You can move the arms up and down the sensors and still adjust the arm lengths themselves to compensate for the change. I've been milking mine for as long as I can, but you have to be careful not to ride too high or too low. That will tend to mess up the bags and that'll be pretty costly.

My dealer told me to never play around with those sensors, but It's plenty safe enough to play around with. Just make small adjustments and test between changes. In my case, every time I made a change to the arms nothing happened till about the 6th or 7th time. Then suddenly, the airbags started pumping up. That was a sure sign the sensors were the culprit, even if they checked out fine at the dealer.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Hey RJ4510,

I think I am having the same problem as OP (Polecat). Can you describe more about adjusting the sensors? Do I need tools to adjust the arms? Do I have to remove anything or unplug the sensor to get to the arms? Is it as simple as crawling under the truck and sliding something with my hand or is it more involved? Sorry for so many questions. I haven't crawled under mine yet but I was hoping for a little knowledge on what to look for before I go in blind. Thanks

Zaner21
Old 03-28-13, 09:45 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zaner21
Hey RJ4510,

I think I am having the same problem as OP (Polecat). Can you describe more about adjusting the sensors? Do I need tools to adjust the arms? Do I have to remove anything or unplug the sensor to get to the arms? Is it as simple as crawling under the truck and sliding something with my hand or is it more involved? Sorry for so many questions. I haven't crawled under mine yet but I was hoping for a little knowledge on what to look for before I go in blind. Thanks

Zaner21
Just a wrench is all you need. In my case, I measured from the ground to the line where the body and bumper meet on my brother in laws truck, which rode nice and has no sensor issues, then measured mine (both on flat ground) and discovered mine to be an inch low on one side and 1 3/4 on the other. I just moved the arms up till both sides read the same as his and even. It would be ideal to have the engine running, but one of the sensors runs right over the pipe and gets to cooking pretty fast, so I made small adjustments, then started the truck again and remeasured after the pump stopped.

I'm taking mine in again to a different independent mechanic next week. Mine have started missbehaving again, so we are going to run through a thorough inspection of all componets to see if it's worth spending the 600 to fix the sensors, or pay 1200 + for a full conversion. So long as the airbags and other components look good, I may just opt to keep it stock for now. Otherwise, I'll just do a spring, belstien conversion and call it good.

The strange part is, you loose value on the conversion, but so far as suspension headaches are concerned, they are gone. It just may be worth converting and taking the hit!
Old 03-28-13, 08:41 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You need to throw away your airbags(suspension). https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uspension.html
Old 03-29-13, 06:48 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by angelslex
You need to throw away your airbags(suspension). https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uspension.html
If I could determine just how much of a hit I'll take on resale if I convert, it sure would help me decide wether to convert or not. Anyone here have any experience with that?
Old 03-30-13, 05:55 AM
LX470SC
Driver School Candidate

NEW Problem, has anyone had a problem with an air leak from the Driver's door ? replaced both door seals on driver and passenger so far, put auto seal tape around door, Still hasn't stopped the air leak, car has never been wrecked according to car fax. just bought car. ANYONE HAVE THIS ISSUE?
Old 03-30-13, 06:43 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by LX470SC
NEW Problem, has anyone had a problem with an air leak from the Driver's door ? replaced both door seals on driver and passenger so far, put auto seal tape around door, Still hasn't stopped the air leak, car has never been wrecked according to car fax. just bought car. ANYONE HAVE THIS ISSUE?
It would be best to post this as a new thread.