GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2008 GX suspension air release

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 10:49 AM
gwebster
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2008 GX suspension air release

Hi, like many others I am having issues with the air suspension on my GX (2008). I recently replaced the height sensors when i started having a bumpy ride and the vehicle was not auto leveling (did work myself and got parts on eBay so cost was not significant). That seemed to help with the ride, but I have noticed that the compressor no longer releases air after I park and passengers get out of the vehicle (almost always did that in the past). I have seen others mention this issue, but never have seen a post with resolution to the issue. Anyone know what would cause this? My ride has improved with sensor replacement but still seems off a bit so I am wondering if it is related to this lack of air release.
Old 03-17-17, 01:18 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

Can you manually select the different ride heights? If the pump works and release valve works then, that says they're good. And would point towards a height sensor adjustment issue.

Chip H.
Old 03-17-17, 05:54 PM
gwebster
Rookie

Thanks chiph9 - I will play around with the adjustment. Height selector and compressor works good. Also there are no trouble codes. I have noticed that the height drops some over night, so I think I have a slow leak in the bags or connections, but do not think that is related to lack of air release when I park. I may go ahead and replace bags since they are 9 yrs old and I can get a set for under 200 on eBay (I already bought the special tool for the air hose). Any more expensive repairs in the future (like compressor) will push me to a conversion kit.
Old 03-18-17, 08:26 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

If it's dropping overnight, you've got a leak. Either in the bags (most likely) or the hose.
Good luck with your replacement - lots of info here on how to do it.

Chip H.
Old 03-19-17, 06:25 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

It's always the bags, weakest link in the rear suspension set up...rubber cracks!
Old 03-21-17, 08:08 AM
gwebster
Rookie

Thanks for the all the responses. While I am certain that I am losing some air as the level drops some overnight, the issue that I do not understand is why the pump does not turn on in the morning after losing the air? (I hear a click, but I don't hear the compressor turn on) I have to do use the height control switch to get in back to proper level, and the compressor works fine at that point. I have recently replaced the height control sensors, so that should not be the issue unless I got a defective batch and there are no codes stored (using the manual approach with the jumper wire). Any more ideas?
Old 03-21-17, 11:53 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could also have a dead area on the sensor in the middle that is not responding properly because it gets the most use. That and a leaking bag.

Have I mentioned most vehicles have springs that hold up the vehicle
Old 03-21-17, 12:55 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by gwebster
Thanks for the all the responses. While I am certain that I am losing some air as the level drops some overnight, the issue that I do not understand is why the pump does not turn on in the morning after losing the air? (I hear a click, but I don't hear the compressor turn on) I have to do use the height control switch to get in back to proper level, and the compressor works fine at that point. I have recently replaced the height control sensors, so that should not be the issue unless I got a defective batch and there are no codes stored (using the manual approach with the jumper wire). Any more ideas?
cant tell you the reason but I had the same symptoms....a leak in the air bag, sensors where fine. why it wouldnt respond quickly to the change it height...got me...but i found the pin hole, had them replaced and all good.
Old 03-21-17, 01:38 PM
gwebster
Rookie

ALAN553, I have read many of your posts and it does seem like you had similar symptoms. Although I believe you mentioned that your compressor would kick in when starting the vehicle. Also, my loss of air seems very slow and never down to bump stops. Another symptom I notice is the vehicle seems to rock back and forth (i.e. Side to side) when driving. This occurs even after doing the manual reset of the airbags. I am wondering if I do not have the sensors installed at correct value. I have them set such that control arm centers are almost equal on both sides in normal setting, but the repair guide mentioned setting according to voltage with (3) 1.5 volts in series, which I did not do. I will try that next, and also look into new bags.
Old 03-21-17, 06:41 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by gwebster
ALAN553, I have read many of your posts and it does seem like you had similar symptoms. Although I believe you mentioned that your compressor would kick in when starting the vehicle. Also, my loss of air seems very slow and never down to bump stops. Another symptom I notice is the vehicle seems to rock back and forth (i.e. Side to side) when driving. This occurs even after doing the manual reset of the airbags. I am wondering if I do not have the sensors installed at correct value. I have them set such that control arm centers are almost equal on both sides in normal setting, but the repair guide mentioned setting according to voltage with (3) 1.5 volts in series, which I did not do. I will try that next, and also look into new bags.
when they do the air bags, the tech should be able to set the height sensors.
Old 03-27-17, 08:52 AM
gwebster
Rookie

I think I figured out the problem on why the suspension was no longer releasing air (or raising up with load). When I replaced the height sensors, I think I may have bent the tabs where the sensors connect (the metal of the tabs is fairly thin). I crawled under the vehicle and noticed that the tabs did not appear to come out at a 90 degree angle from the bar that it attaches to. I used a small square and bent the tabs back to what appears to be 90 degrees. When I finished, the vehicle started self leveling again and rides much better. I learned in another post that if the sensors are not calibrated properly the leveling function is disabled. In my case, while I reinstalled the sensors at the same position on the tabs, I apparently bent the tabs causing the issues I mentioned. I still think I do not have them calibrated exactly correct, but LEXUS dealer is 2 hours away and I don't think the local TOYOTA dealership will have the experience to do it properly so I am going to keep as is for now. Thanks for everyone's responses!