GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Where is this clunk coming from when i turn to the right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 09:45 PM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where is this clunk coming from when i turn to the right?

I noticed this on a few occasions already and i decided to ask you, my fellow GX owners.
My 2005 GX (108k miles) seems to be in great shape. When i replaced the front CV boots i looked carefully at all suspension components and i did not see anything damaged, loose or suspicious.

However, when the truck is SLOWLY moving (entering into my driveway or getting out of parking spot), and when i turn the steering wheel ALL THE WAY to the right, i hear and almost feel a single semi-loud clunk from under the car. I am 99% sure it is related to the steering movement. When the car drives straight or when i am making smaller turns on the street, there is no clunk, noise or vibration at all. I haven't noticed it during U-turns yet, but maybe i haven't paid enough attention.
Something must be loose or worn out. The clunk is very obvious when it happens.

Any ideas where this could be coming from? Any well known weak components in the front suspension setup that may need attention at 108k miles?

I am thinking about tie rod ends or sway bar links but i am not sure if a bad tie rod / link would produce such "clunk" when turning all the way. Ideas?

Thanks!
Dan
Old 10-16-12, 09:52 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danmm7
I noticed this on a few occasions already and i decided to ask you, my fellow GX owners.
My 2005 GX (108k miles) seems to be in great shape. When i replaced the front CV boots i looked carefully at all suspension components and i did not see anything damaged, loose or suspicious.

However, when the truck is SLOWLY moving (entering into my driveway or getting out of parking spot), and when i turn the steering wheel ALL THE WAY to the right, i hear and almost feel a single semi-loud clunk from under the car. I am 99% sure it is related to the steering movement. When the car drives straight or when i am making smaller turns on the street, there is no clunk, noise or vibration at all. I haven't noticed it during U-turns yet, but maybe i haven't paid enough attention.
Something must be loose or worn out. The clunk is very obvious when it happens.

Any ideas where this could be coming from? Any well known weak components in the front suspension setup that may need attention at 108k miles?

I am thinking about tie rod ends or sway bar links but i am not sure if a bad tie rod / link would produce such "clunk" when turning all the way. Ideas?

Thanks!
Dan
Have you ever done any suspension work that would require disassembling the strut? I've heard noises like this when the spring is physically binding/popping in the strut assembly. Pull the RF wheel off and carefully inspect what's going on. Even better, put it on a safe jack/stand and have a friend turn the wheel while you watch.
Old 10-16-12, 12:17 PM
danmm7
Driver

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Have you ever done any suspension work that would require disassembling the strut? I've heard noises like this when the spring is physically binding/popping in the strut assembly. Pull the RF wheel off and carefully inspect what's going on. Even better, put it on a safe jack/stand and have a friend turn the wheel while you watch.
All i know is that the front struts were replaced with OEM struts at 67k miles. Truck now has 108k miles.

I will try to do some additional investigation. Visually everything looked fine a week ago, but now i will pay more attention.
Old 10-17-12, 01:01 PM
REPLAY1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same sort of issue not too long ago. Nasty clunking from front end going over bumps at an angle but not straight on. I replaced my sway bar end links and also my sway bar bushings. Eliminated it completely. Parts were really cheap and only took me about an hour to install. I have the toyota part# for the bushings if you need them. Hope this might help.
Old 10-17-12, 01:52 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like it could be a bad ball joint?
Old 10-17-12, 03:24 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

So I'm sitting in the driveway for my fave gas station, just filled up ($3.66/ gal) waiting to turn right--lots of traffic--and here comes another GX, driven by a woman, flying down the r/h lane, and she slams on the brakes so she can turn into the gas station and as she turns in, right next to me, CLUNK! Just like you described. Amazing! Pretty darn loud & noticeable.

Anyway, sway bar bushings & end links first--then check ball joints.
Old 10-18-12, 12:12 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

sway bar end links and bushings.
Old 10-18-12, 03:00 PM
danmm7
Driver

Wow! I think i got my answer, loud and clear.
Sway bar end links and bushings ... here i come.

So, do i go OEM (toyota) parts or "quality" AutoZone replacements will do?
Old 10-19-12, 06:19 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Autozone parts should work just fine. Of course, if you plan to keep the GX for another 7-8 years or so.......
Old 10-19-12, 07:33 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Check here - I've had good experiences.

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/swa...xus/gx470.html
Old 10-20-12, 02:18 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

You can go to sewell parts online and order just about any part for the truck at a good price. Be sure to get the clublexus discount. I just ordered a rubber bumper for my rear door. Took me 10min to find it in their diagrams. Piece of cake.

Also, either way you go, be sure you order the part conscious of whether you have KDSS or not. The swaybar bushings will be totally different for the much larger KDSS sways.
Old 10-21-12, 05:26 AM
sidwin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow same problem i'm having hopefully it's covered under my cpo my car only has 52k on it.
Old 10-25-12, 11:38 PM
danmm7
Driver

I replaced the sway bar end links today. Very easy job. It took me more time to jack up the car and remove the wheels than to replace the actual links.
I used Napa Auto parts. $54/each

Drove the SUV around for 10 miles or so - no clunk!!! Lets hope that it is all fixed.
Old 10-26-12, 05:38 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I love it when we nail it on the first try