GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2007 GX470 Doing DIY preventive maintenance w/65k miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 03:09 PM
plunger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GX470 Doing DIY preventive maintenance w/65k miles

Thinking of doing a general maintenance for a 2007 GX470 with 65,000 miles. This car was a CPO bought in 2010. Don't think the dealer changed all the fluids below so I'm looking to change it all. No major maintenance has been done since we got the car. Oil changes only so these things should be addressed.

Thinking about doing all of the below-

Front/rear differential fluid change
ATF fluid change (hopefully it has a fill and drain bold)
Brake Fluid
Power steering fluid
Tire Rotation
Coolant change
Spark plugs
Wiper Blades
Inspect brakes, boots, hoses, etc
Air/cabin filter (recently changed)

Unsure of -
Transfer case fluid change

I'll be using Toyota fluids/parts/washers. Timing belt can wait since it is beyond my skill level for now. Anything else I should be looking at?
Old 03-30-12, 03:47 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my infiniti g35 coupe i did all fluid change at 25k miles, and then i bought my gx470 with some fluid done at 20k by previous owner - comparison

1) the g35 coupe is a cake to work on and the transmission fluid change was always recommended (drain bolt - add) everything 30k per service manual - after the change my gear shift was buttery smooth - expensive fluids from nissan
1x) compare that to the gx470 - at 50k with no prior atf service done - very difficult to change since there's no drain bolt and no pan - the truck is still buttery smooth - no rec from service manual as atf change interval - i would leave this alone for a while

2) differential fluid on the g35 was cake as well - pump and drain and then pump and fill
2x) yeah this is easy you should do it

3) coolant fluid could be difficult
3x) do it

4) spark plugs - not done only 33k miles on the coupe
4x) don't do it yet

man your list is long and i am tire, gl man...
Old 03-30-12, 07:15 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Coolant good for 100,000 miles, ATF if not towing is considered fill for life. But probably good for at least 100,000 miles, not an easy job in this truck. Brake fluid can wait until you do brakes which will come sooner than you think, frt and rr diff and transfer case, piece of cake, dump synthetic in and be done with it.
Old 03-31-12, 01:54 AM
plunger
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to change the coolant early even if it's rated for 100k. It needs about 3.5 gallons. 4 bottles in gallon size equates to about $65 online.

I haven't checked out the transmission yet, will do so this weekend. But it looks like there might be a drain and fill plug. A guy on another Lexus forum has a PDF illustration that shows a drain and fill bolt. I'll snap some photos while I'm down there.

Link to thread here:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...dpost&p=431378

I'm trying to buy the online repair manual over at http://www.alldatadiy.com/ but the site is down. Something like $40 for 5 years of access. Pays for itself with 1 DIY project.

One of the few Lexus OEM parts places with illustrations that I could find.
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ssembly=769518

I think I found the correct drain/fill bolts/washers from the site above. I'm going to head over to the Toyota or Lexus dealership tomorrow to pick up the front/rear differential washers. There is a leak in the rear differential at the drain plug. I need this fixed ASAP so it's being done first.

35141B looks to be the fill bolt.
35106A looks to be the overflow drain
35106Q looks to be drain

35141B part # 90341-14011 PLUG (FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CASE); PLUG, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CASE $4.48
35141G part # 90301-11006 RING, O (FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CASE) $3.45
35106B part # 35178-30010 GASKET (FOR TRANSFER OIL PAN); GASKET, DRAIN PLUG (ATM); GASKET, TRANSMISSION DRAIN PLUG $2.30
35106A part # 90341-10011 PLUG (FOR FRONT DIFFERENTIAL DRAIN); PLUG SUB-ASSY, DRAIN (ATM); PLUG, DRAIN(FOR TRANSMISSION) $2.93
35106Q part # 90341-10021 PLUG (FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL PAN); PLUG SUB-ASSY, DRAIN (ATM) $2.93

They noted it during the last oil change on the paperwork but didn't do anything about it. CPO's have a 3 year/100k mile warranty. This should have been fixed at the time and they didn't even mention it to the family member when the car was returned. I only found out about a few months later while cleaning out the car and reading the oil change receipt. They noted it should be taken care of next time since the car will be due up for a major service. Major service = $$$ Mechanics do not like doing warranty work I hear. This is why I'm taking over oil changes and maintenance. Forget the dealership and their $80 oil changes using cheap oil

I've done all of these fluid changes on Honda vehicles. They are a breeze and pleasure to work on With Hondas, you can find part illustrations, detailed parts online, videos, etc all day. Different story with Lexus. I guess they don't expect people to work on their own cars
Old 03-31-12, 07:16 AM
z0lt3c
Driver

Most people change the coolant at the 90K mile service when they also change the timing belt and water pump. Otherwise, you will just have to change the coolant again when you perform this service because it requires draining of coolant to replace the mentioned components.

Changing the transmission fluid is a very debatable topic, you can search on the subject and read all the posts with pro's and con's. IMO, way more risk then reward. If you are going to do it, get the authentic Toyota fluid (I think it's World Standard) and I would drop the pan and replace the gasket if your gonna bother touch it at all.

I don't rotate tires on 4WD vehicles, but this is more of a personal preference. You are better served getting regular alignments, IMO then rotating.

Does your truck have the clunk driveshaft fix performed yet? Are you still rocking all original calipers? I would look into these as preventative before anything you listed.
Old 03-31-12, 10:01 AM
plunger
Driver School Candidate

It will probably take us 3 years to hit 90k miles. I'll think about waiting or not for the coolant.

I haven't drop an ATF pan before. Only worked on Honda Accords and CR-V's before. They have a drain plug and the fill are the dipstick. Filter is in an inline type that two hoses attach to. I don't want to experiment on the Lexus.

I have no idea about the clunk driveshaft fix. I will just assume that is has not been performed yet because we haven't done anything besides oil changes.

Calipers are the same story, no idea since we haven't touched them.
Old 03-31-12, 11:16 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by plunger
It will probably take us 3 years to hit 90k miles. I'll think about waiting or not for the coolant.

I haven't drop an ATF pan before. Only worked on Honda Accords and CR-V's before. They have a drain plug and the fill are the dipstick. Filter is in an inline type that two hoses attach to. I don't want to experiment on the Lexus.

I have no idea about the clunk driveshaft fix. I will just assume that is has not been performed yet because we haven't done anything besides oil changes.

Calipers are the same story, no idea since we haven't touched them.
Draining trans oil pan is only a partial flush anyhow, need to hook up to some lines to move clean fluid through entire system. The good news is the trans fluid is synthetic that is why it has such a long life.
Old 03-31-12, 12:15 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

another suggestion is that you will need a tube pump system of some sort to pump fluid on either side of overflow dam in and out... that's the only way i can see myself doing this job in another 50k miles