GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 12:53 PM
MTLT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
9 out of 10 people are going to be lifting their GX IE: not using stock shocks, so the hold down is absolutely necessary.
No you still do not need to clamp down the spring down. If you buy a OME 2895 spring you run the OME 60004 shock to match the spring. If you buy our long travel rear kit with the appropriate shock to match everything will stay in place. Here are examples of some Toyota's at full flex and the springs are still firmly in place without clamping them down.

Full droop on our 80 series using OME J springs and L series shocks

Our long travel rear kit

Last edited by MTLT; 01-23-14 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-23-14, 07:13 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

These were matching OME springs and shocks and somehow the spring popped out.

Every lifted GXs over on ih8mud & expeditionportal is running some type of bottom spring mount, whether it be a custom made perch or a "U" shaped bracket and a lot of them are running matching OME springs and shocks. So if they're not needed why are they using them? Maybe I'm missing something?

PERCH

"U" BRACKET
Old 01-24-14, 10:54 AM
MTLT
Driver School Candidate

These were matching OME springs and shocks and somehow the spring popped out.

Every lifted GXs over on ih8mud & expeditionportal is running some type of bottom spring mount, whether it be a custom made perch or a "U" shaped bracket and a lot of them are running matching OME springs and shocks. So if they're not needed why are they using them? Maybe I'm missing something?

PERCH

"U" BRACKET
The first picture either the shock wasn't matched to the spring or the shock failed allowing it to extend past its extended length.

As for why all the other GX's have the clamp it is due to the person who decided it was necessary to put a clamp on the bottom portion of the spring and every one has followed suit. We sell hundreds of suspension kits each year for the 80, 100, 200 Land Cruiser, FJ Cruiser and 4Runner that all have the same suspension platform for the rear and none of the kits come with clamps nor did Toyota put one on from the factory. As you know the GX470 is a Prado 120 which is the same platform that the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner use so there is no difference between the models.

On the last picture the spring even though has a clamp isn't fully supported. In the second picture you can see there is a ramp built for the spring to rest on which is correct. The springs do not sit flat on the axle so you need a ramp to fully support the spring at the base.
Old 01-24-14, 11:38 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MTLT
As for why all the other GX's have the clamp it is due to the person who decided it was necessary to put a clamp on the bottom portion of the spring and every one has followed suit.
I never said you needed a clamp. I've always show pictures of DanKunz's yellow perch and said we needed to use something like that if doing the spring coversion.

The only way to do that was to have one custom made...that is until your company starting making them and selling them about 2 1/2 weeks ago. When you posted the link on ih8mud I purchased your DIY kit the very next day. (PPal: Tiasun*******@aol.com).

Originally Posted by MTLT
On the last picture the spring even though has a clamp isn't fully supported. In the second picture you can see there is a ramp built for the spring to rest on which is correct. The springs do not sit flat on the axle so you need a ramp to fully support the spring at the base.
DanKunz's yellow custom made perch, the same perched I originally pictured back on page 4 - post #53, which you said needed clarification, is the same perch you are saying is correct. So I'm confused...what exactly need clarifying from my post?
Old 01-28-14, 01:25 PM
T4RBoarder
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I hope I didn't miss this earlier in the thread but I had a peculiar problem with my suspension on my GX. It seems like it is leaning towards the drivers side. The passenger rear has the highest space between fender and wheel and the drivers side front has the smallest space, it seems to ride ok (rear might be a little stiff/bouncy) and the rear still seems to lower and raise. From previous findings usually the entire rear is raised or lowered if a sensor goes bad not just one side. The axle geometry in comparison to the body looks off too when looking at the raised/lowered sides. Does this seem like a bad sensor or am I looking at something broken/collapsed up front that is causing the lean?

Feel free to ask questions if this is confusing.
Old 01-28-14, 04:55 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T4RBoarder
Hey guys, I hope I didn't miss this earlier in the thread but I had a peculiar problem with my suspension on my GX. It seems like it is leaning towards the drivers side. The passenger rear has the highest space between fender and wheel and the drivers side front has the smallest space, it seems to ride ok (rear might be a little stiff/bouncy) and the rear still seems to lower and raise. From previous findings usually the entire rear is raised or lowered if a sensor goes bad not just one side. The axle geometry in comparison to the body looks off too when looking at the raised/lowered sides. Does this seem like a bad sensor or am I looking at something broken/collapsed up front that is causing the lean?

Feel free to ask questions if this is confusing.
Just guessing but it sounds like a faulty ride height sensor.
Old 01-28-14, 07:53 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rgf49er
I've owned my '04 GX since October 2003 now with 165k. I'm not experiencing any issues with air shockes but I also do not tow anything more than once a year. I do however load hit up with people and supplies in the back multiple times a year. I'm not having any issues with the air shocks. I check with my mechanic who use to work for Lexus to make sure I don't have any issues down the road. So far it's great with only the normal wear tear issues of brakes windshield wipers and light bulbs.
I guess you got lucky and you may be the only one without suspension trouble. I just hope you got the timing belt done already.
We have -14F now and my compressor is rurning on but truck is bottomed out on exle and it's not lifting. Horse ride is pleasant compare to this junk. Sensors are new, left on since May and right one since last month. I hope it's just frozen moisture in lines or dryer.
Anyone knows how much pressure the compressor should be pumping out to make sure it's still good and rule it out (I have 277K miles and it could be anything).
I will bring it inside our factory tomorrow for 10 hours defrost and see if it helps.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-28-14, 08:20 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mbenz80
I guess you got lucky and you may be the only one without suspension trouble. I just hope you got the timing belt done already.
We have -14F now and my compressor is rurning on but truck is bottomed out on exle and it's not lifting. Horse ride is pleasant compare to this junk. Sensors are new, left on since May and right one since last month. I hope it's just frozen moisture in lines or dryer.
Anyone knows how much pressure the compressor should be pumping out to make sure it's still good and rule it out (I have 277K miles and it could be anything).
I will bring it inside our factory tomorrow for 10 hours defrost and see if it helps.
Thanks in advance for your help.
It probably is a frozen line but if you want you can try and see if you have a code for a bad compressor...all you need is a short section of wire to use as a jumper on your OBDII port.

You can check this thread out to get an idea of how the blinking will work, only you will pay attention to the "OFF" ride height light not the SRS light.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-light-on.html

See the attached PDF on how to check it. A bad compressor will show a 42 (C1742) and or a 51 (C1751) blinking code.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Suspension DTC Check.pdf (1.64 MB, 962 views)
Old 01-29-14, 06:32 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

It probably is a frozen line but if you want you can try and see if you have a code for a bad compressor...all you need is a short section of wire to use as a jumper on your OBDII port.

You can check this thread out to get an idea of how the blinking will work, only you will pay attention to the "OFF" ride height light not the SRS light.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-light-on.html

See the attached PDF on how to check it. A bad compressor will show a 42 (C1742) and or a 51 (C1751) blinking code.
Thanks RCsGX,
I will try to check the codes at my lunch break, I have the truck inside warming up now.
Are these pages out of Volume 1 and 2 OEM repair manual? I left Volume 1 at home since Volume 2 section 25 has the Suspension Control System description.
I opened up both original sensor to check them, Left on is coroded inside to the point that wiper of the potentiometer and gold plated contact springs desintegrated to dust. Right sensor is fine, clean as new and test using 3 AA battery cells shows perfect function. Both sensors are exactly same, just mounting bracket for them is different.
I will let you know my findings.
Old 01-29-14, 07:36 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

RCsGX,
Here are my codes: 41, 42, 51, 61 and 79.
I didn't try to reset the ECU with brake pedal depressions.
After removing the jump wire I started up, compressor turned on as it should but suspension did not move up a bit. I'm unable to print your pdf pages from other post on codes fault, can you please let me know what to check first in suspension controls? I have a new suspension compressor out of W164 Mercedes ML, I wish I could use but I'm not sure about the pressure comparability.
Thanks again.
Old 01-29-14, 09:20 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

RCsGX,
Here are my codes: 41, 42, 51, 61 and 79.
I didn't try to reset the ECU with brake pedal depressions.
After removing the jump wire I started up, compressor turned on as it should but suspension did not move up a bit. I'm unable to print your pdf pages from other post on codes fault, can you please let me know what to check first in suspension controls? I have a new suspension compressor out of W164 Mercedes ML, I wish I could use but I'm not sure about the pressure comparability.
Thanks again.

41 - 61 deals w/ the ride height system.
79 is your crank position sensor but it's also tied into the ride height system.

It can be a number of problems or a single problem...the one thing all of those codes have in common is a faulty suspension ECU.

Here's a couple of links to Sewell that shows all of the ride height suspension parts.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X470-2005.html

Now we know why some people rip the entire ride height system out and go with coil springs.
Good luck w/ everything. I hope it turns out to be something cheap and simple. Let us know what you find out.
Attached Files
05-506 C1741.pdf (55.4 KB, 2275 views)
05-510 C1742.pdf (60.6 KB, 2616 views)
05-515 C1751.pdf (48.1 KB, 7898 views)
05-518 C1761.pdf (47.1 KB, 2096 views)
05-531 C1779.pdf (45.7 KB, 1059 views)
Old 01-29-14, 10:13 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

41 - 61 deals w/ the ride height system.
79 is your crank position sensor but it's also tied into the ride height system.

It can be a number of problems or a single problem...the one thing all of those codes have in common is a faulty suspension ECU.

Here's a couple of links to Sewell that shows all of the ride height suspension parts.

Now we know why some people rip the entire ride height system out and go with coil springs.
Good luck w/ everything. I hope it turns out to be something cheap and simple. Let us know what you find out.
Do you think it's safe to reset the codes with CG-TC jumper wire and brake pedal?
And what is the "normal code" for height control? Will I wipe it out with this reset procedure?
Thank you so much!
Old 01-29-14, 11:03 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Do you think it's safe to reset the codes with CG-TC jumper wire and brake pedal?
Yeah it should be.

And what is the "normal code" for height control? Will I wipe it out with this reset procedure?
Thank you so much!
With a normal code the "OFF" light will quickly and uniformally blink, there will be no pauses or slower flashes like you saw with the number codes you found. Here's a comparison of a normal code vs. a 13 and 33 code:
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension Problems or Questions-normal-vs-fault.jpg  
Old 01-29-14, 11:31 AM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread has had over 39,000 views!

Lexus should have put a compartment in the rear door right next to the tool box, for a coil spring conversion kit.
Old 01-29-14, 12:46 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 470reasons
This thread has had over 39,000 views!

Lexus should have put a compartment in the rear door right next to the tool box, for a coil spring conversion kit.
You aren't lying!

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions