GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD player spits out DVD, reels it back in,does not play, but sounds like it's tryin

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 05:16 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DVD player spits out DVD, reels it back in,does not play, but sounds like it's tryin

Hi guys, I own a 2004 GX470 with the DVD player in the rear part of the center console between the front seats. We drove over to Naples, FL 2 days ago, our kids watching the DVDs from the back seat flip down roof screen.

As we prepared to return home yesterday, my daughter accidentally dropped a quarter that she fished out of a cavity in the console in front of the DVD player, and million to 1 odds, the quarter slipped out of her grasp and down the slot of the DVD player where the DVD inserts. Only God could make that happen. I'm still trying to figure which sin I committed that God is punishing me for so that I never do it again! My wife tried to play the DVD, but it did not play.

I got home and took the console apart, removed the DVD player, found the quarter and easily removed it without bending or breaking anything. Put it all back together, and tried to play a DVD, and it does not play.

As soon as you insert the DVD, the DVD player ejects the DVD, then reels it back in again in one smooth motion, then you hear the DVD player making all sorts mechanical of sounds, as though it's trying to spin up the DVD to find tracking or something, but the screen remains blank and the DVD does not work. We found out the DVD player scuffs up the DVDs now, so something got out of alignment. Anyway, the DVD player is history.

Question, I just want to make sure there is nothing else I can do. Any comments from anyone who might have seen this before?

Is there a web site I can try to buy a new or refurbished exact DVD replacement player without going to my Lexus dealer and paying massive dollars for a new one?
Old 07-10-09, 09:08 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

eBay.
The quarter must have gotten to the laser head since it's scratching your DVDs now.
Old 07-11-09, 07:13 PM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

with DVD players, the aligment is very critical, down to the micron level I'm sure. Anything would knock it out of whack. Anyway, is there a good source to buy a replacement without going to the dealer for it?
Old 09-17-09, 01:48 PM
Mai Gurl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is going through the same thing right now I am online looking for the same solution to this problem. Can you show me how you removed the dvd from the console? I think I have massive cleaning to do now...
Old 09-28-09, 09:54 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the method I used to remove the DVD was described in this other thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...70-2005-a.html

But while removing the DVD player, I noticed not all his steps were required. For example the step where mentions removing the 2 side screws of the console, that is not needed, as those 2 screws have nothing to do with securing the DVD player.

Also, the "mat" that he mentions in one of the steps, is referring to the small rectangular rubber mat inside the cup holder area. There's 2 screws under that rubber mat. Hope this helps!

Jeff
Old 10-24-09, 07:02 PM
Mai Gurl
Driver School Candidate

WOW! You made my day Thank you so, so much!
Old 10-27-09, 09:59 AM
rrolff
Driver School Candidate

Good luck - it is not hard to get out (once you find the two screws). Problem is I believe there were two DVD players used - Matsu****a and (???) - you are in for bad news - you can either get a new one from Lexus ($1000), or find someone to repair it (around $400).
Old 11-05-09, 12:24 PM
oskirage
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if this is going to be right...i am a "no tech" computer person!!! i love animals and have had them all my life as friends...have 1 grouchy old cat whom i love dearly and 2 pit bulls whom i also love dearly....my buddies....