Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

other toyota / lexus wheels that fit '04 GX470?

Old 09-20-11, 09:44 PM   #46
Arroz
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Good eye! Those are the stock size Michelin's, and the wheels are a semigloss, not that I had a choice, it is the stuff they line the inside of tire molds with to make the molds non-stick. I did try to use the Lexus wheel logos but they mounted differently and I didn't put the time in to figure it out.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Arroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 02:38 AM   #47
Fluid
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroz View Post
Good eye! Those are the stock size Michelin's, and the wheels are a semigloss, not that I had a choice, it is the stuff they line the inside of tire molds with to make the molds non-stick. I did try to use the Lexus wheel logos but they mounted differently and I didn't put the time in to figure it out.
Reviving an old thread - are you still here Arroz? Where did you get the wheels Teflon coated and how is the finish holding up? Your GX looks great, I have the same color combo A few weeks ago I swapped my OEM wheel setup for Teflon wheels with AT tires. I don't know anyone with Teflon coating so I'm taking a gamble on how well they last - I really have no idea if they're more/less durable than traditional finishes.
Fluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 11:45 AM   #48
Arroz
Driver School Candidate

Yea, I'm still lurking around. The place that did my wheels was out in Maricopa and if I had to do it over again I would have just had them powder coated. I say that, only because the type of coating on my wheels tended to build up a white-ish oxidized coating that would have to be hand polished off. The production teflon wheels that other friends have had has held up well, but can still be scratched similar to any other finish but is a little more obvious with a dark finish over an aluminum wheel. I have found the Teflon coating to do exactly what you expect "it keeps stuff from sticking" they hose off pretty clean.
Arroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 08:12 AM   #49
SmittysGX
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroz View Post
Yea, I'm still lurking around. The place that did my wheels was out in Maricopa and if I had to do it over again I would have just had them powder coated. I say that, only because the type of coating on my wheels tended to build up a white-ish oxidized coating that would have to be hand polished off. The production teflon wheels that other friends have had has held up well, but can still be scratched similar to any other finish but is a little more obvious with a dark finish over an aluminum wheel. I have found the Teflon coating to do exactly what you expect "it keeps stuff from sticking" they hose off pretty clean.
Still have not gone black on the wheels but I did end up going with the Toyo Proxy 285/60/17 tires. Have been thinking about powder coating the wheels black lately.... This tire and wheel combo works and fits very good and the ride is awesome!! Here are a few pics.

SmittysGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 09:13 AM   #50
470reasons
Pole Position

Looks good as is! Put the money towards some other upgrade.Click the image to open in full size.

With the +15 offset and 60 series tires, you probably didn't need wheel spacers? How about front wheel well trimming?
2004 GX470: Icon Stage 2 lift kit, Cooper 285/70/17 AT'3, Konig Six Shooter 17 x 8 zero offset rims, COMPLETELY de-badged, plasti-dipped grill. Grom USB2P USB port, WeatherTech laser mats, K4O F/R radar detectors., K4O Front l@dar detector/j@mmer. Blueskysea G1W Dashcam.
470reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 02:00 PM   #51
SmittysGX
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 470reasons View Post
Looks good as is! Put the money towards some other upgrade.Click the image to open in full size.

With the +15 offset and 60 series tires, you probably didn't need wheel spacers? How about front wheel well trimming?
Yes the 285s are definitely make for a wider foot print that the stockers. I get zero rubbing in the front and the back. Even at full lock to lock turns, up and down driveways and what not, no rubbing. I like the look as it sets the tires out, wider a bit giving the GX a bit more of a stocky look. Not sure it performs any better but I guess I did gain close to 2" in overall width As far as other up grades go, I have been looking into making the stock system Bluetooth compatible, anyone do that? Ah you know what I better do a search and or start a new thread on that.... Thx
SmittysGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 03:36 PM   #52
Nothnghead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittysGX View Post
Yes the 285s are definitely make for a wider foot print that the stockers. I get zero rubbing in the front and the back. Even at full lock to lock turns, up and down driveways and what not, no rubbing. I like the look as it sets the tires out, wider a bit giving the GX a bit more of a stocky look. Not sure it performs any better but I guess I did gain close to 2" in overall width As far as other up grades go, I have been looking into making the stock system Bluetooth compatible, anyone do that? Ah you know what I better do a search and or start a new thread on that.... Thx
Search for grom audio or vaistech on here or the google for lots of info on bluetooth and smartphone integration.
Nothnghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-14, 11:47 PM   #53
rcantu
Rookie

i've been out this forum for some time but still have the GX.

i needed some new tires so i decided to just buy wheels too and go back to stock size to save on mpg too. i had 18 inch wheels and bigger tires. heavy and wide suckers.

anyhow i drove an hour to pick up some 2014 4runner trail edition wheels with just 1500 miles on them.

they are 265/70/17 stock vs our 265/65/17 so they're a little bit taller.

l'm digging the concavity it has as well as the 2 tone

Click the image to open in full size.
rcantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 05:04 PM   #54
jxmos
Driver School Candidate

Would a set of 2013 FJ wheels fit my 2004 GX?
jxmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 05:48 PM   #55
Nothnghead
Rookie

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxmos View Post
Would a set of 2013 FJ wheels fit my 2004 GX?

Click the image to open in full size.
Nothnghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 11:18 AM   #56
470SNC
Rookie

those FJ wheels look great on the GX with the mud terrains!
470SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 09:21 AM   #57
fjc32
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman932 View Post
Ebay $400 + shipping ($110 - NM to GA). The wheels only had 2000 miles on them. This seemed like a great deal, until I opened the boxes to see that the faces had not been protected and the wheels slid against the boxes for 2000+ miles on a FedEx truck . When I brought this to the sellers attention, he was a very stand up guy and refunded $100 for the damage. I spent several hours polishing the wheels with several different compounds. I have not tried and wet sand and buff for fear of making it worse. The damage is still there, but it is greatly reduced. I also got a really good deal on the tires - $612 out the door (mount, balance, new TPMS programmed, tax, etc). I paid $55 for 4 brand new TPMS sensor on ebay as well.

$400 wheels
$110 shipping
-$100 damage refund
$55 TPMS sensors
$612 Tires (mount, balance, TPMS program, tax)
-$70 Michelin mail in rebate
--------------------------
$1007 <- I was pleased.
Any rubbing issue with slightly larger tire?

Thanks.
fjc32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 09:21 AM

Tags
04, 4runner, bigger, finish, fit, fits, gx, gx470, large, lexus, machined, tire, tires, toyota, upgrade, wheel, wheels