GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

In case of an emergency

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 04:03 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default In case of an emergency

What would any of you do if you got in your truck, started it, tried to move the Selector Lever but discovered that it did not move ??

First thing I did was to call the Dealer and asked a Service Advisor if there was a quick fix. Said he didn't know of anything, so we agreed that I would have the truck transported by Triple A to the dealership.

Next, I called Triple A and asked for a Flat Bed, as the truck could not be towed due to the transmission being set at Park. Triple A was unable to transport the truck as it didn't bring Dollies. Had to wait until the next morning.

I called the Dealership again to arrange for a loaner. Talked to a different advisor and again I explained my dilemma and asked if she knew of a fix. Said that she didn't and agreed that the only thing I could do was to have the truck transported there.

This morning a different driver arrived with Flat Bed and Dollies. He asked for Membership Card, Picture ID and the trucks Key.

As I stepped on the porch to explain to my wife what was going on, I see my truck going down the driveway. I surprisingly said, "what the heck!!" I quickly reached the driver and asked, "what did you do ??"

He showed me where he had lifted a little Tab and pushed an Override Button, which allowed the Selector Lever to be moved to any position. Those with a '04 can read this on page #419.

I am disappointed that the two Advisors at the Lexus Dealership were not able to tell me about the Override Button.

After the Triple A guy left I drove the truck to the Dealership. I purposely turned off the engine and waited for an Advisor. He came; I explained that I couldn't move the Selector Lever. He hopped in the truck, started it, and then tried to move the lever. As soon as it didn't move he started looking for the Override Button which he immediately found. I couldn't believe it; why didn't the previous two Advisors know about the Override Button ??

It's a long story, but didn't want anybody else to experience my problem.

BTW, Lexus just called and said that the truck is ready. Will pick it up Monday.

~ Cap
Old 01-17-09, 06:28 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry to hear you had to go through all of that. Thanks for posting the tip though!
Old 01-18-09, 04:09 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting that tip, Cap! It's one of those things I now remember reading and looking at when I first got the vehicle, but probably wouldn't think of if this happened.

Did they say what caused it? It obviously wasn't a one time thing if it happened again at the dealer.

I've never had any luck getting the service advisor to give any advice or tips on the phone either. The response is always to bring it in, but that can be a hassle!
Old 01-19-09, 02:07 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverLady

Did they say what caused it? It obviously wasn't a one time thing if it happened again at the dealer.
Hi Silver Lady…..

It was the Brake-Light Fuse. I had shorted it out as I was in the process of changing the Tail Lights from Prado tail-lights to 09 tail lights.
I was not aware that I had blown the Brake Light fuse. It makes sense, since we have to press on the brake pedal before the shift lever moves.
Live and Learn…..

~ Cap
Old 01-19-09, 05:27 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hi Silver Lady…..

It was the Brake-Light Fuse. I had shorted it out as I was in the process of changing the Tail Lights from Prado tail-lights to 09 tail lights.
I was not aware that I had blown the Brake Light fuse. It makes sense, since we have to press on the brake pedal before the shift lever moves.
Live and Learn…..

~ Cap
I had that happened in my GS. Don't know how I knew to fix that, but luckily I had a box of spare fuses and popped it in.

Luckily the GX has an override feature where the GS didn't. As a matter of fact, I wonder if other lexus do?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...fuse-blew.html
Old 01-20-09, 12:21 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

Luckily the GX has an override feature where the GS didn't. As a matter of fact, I wonder if other Lexus do?
Just look above the selector lever and you will see a little tab about 3/8 by 1/2 inch. Pry off the tab with a little screw driver or knife and you will see the override button.

~ Cap
Old 01-20-09, 06:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Cap, Every car I owned had one of those.