GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Transfer case leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 05:42 PM
holycowe
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No, that little plastic gear and the short shaft fell off in the pic. Put em back before close it
Old 03-19-14, 05:42 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyway, my idea for installing a split o-ring would go like this:

Clean the area super clean.
Hold one end of the o-ring to the actuator with a couple tabs of glue dots. (Used to hold posters to a wall)
Put a very very small drop of super glue on the free end and shake off any excess glue.
Use tweezers to bring the ends together and gently hold in place for about 45 seconds.
Apply Permatex Ultra Black RTV in the channel on both sides of the o-ring at the splice maybe for about 3/8" on either end of the splice. RTV should be in the channel and not protrude any higher than the o-ring.
Let sit for at least 12 hours.
Lubricate o-ring and slide actuator back into the housing.

The idea is to use the super glue to hold the o-ring together temporarily while the RTV is being applied and is curing. The long term strength is provided by the RTV applied around the splice.

In the picture below, the RTV would fill the channel on both sides of the o-ring in the area between the glue dot and tweezers.

DISCLAIMER:
I have never done this on an actual vehicle. This information is provided for amusement purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Name:  glue_ring_zps8be0f620.jpg
Views: 3854
Size:  70.2 KB
Old 03-19-14, 05:46 PM
holycowe
Rookie

Oh, ok. You know that gear fell off on my pic
Old 03-19-14, 05:56 PM
470reasons
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by holycowe
Oh, ok. You know that gear fell off on my pic
LOL!

Let us know how the repair went.

There isn't any pressure on the gear oil, so all the o-ring and RTV have to do is hold the oil in the case. RTV could do the trick.

At least you won't screw up the xfer case trying this method!
Old 03-19-14, 06:07 PM
holycowe
Rookie

We already done hours ago. Will keep an eye on it next few days to see any oil dripping.
Old 11-23-14, 07:27 AM
kh91466
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case leak

I too experienced the transfer case leak on my 2003 4runner V8. I ended up at my Toyota dealer who split the case and found the o- ring and the two seals around the shafts bad. Even though the Transfer Drive Actuator worked fine and there was no oil inside due to the bad seals they replaced the Drive Actuator with a new one. [OUCH] They returned my used Drive Actuator to me. Now I have a perfectly good Transfer Drive Actuator that only needs an o-ring and two seals. Guess I'll keep it in case someone needs it.
Old 11-23-14, 07:53 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kh91466
I too experienced the transfer case leak on my 2003 4runner V8. I ended up at my Toyota dealer who split the case and found the o- ring and the two seals around the shafts bad. Even though the Transfer Drive Actuator worked fine and there was no oil inside due to the bad seals they replaced the Drive Actuator with a new one. [OUCH] They returned my used Drive Actuator to me. Now I have a perfectly good Transfer Drive Actuator that only needs an o-ring and two seals. Guess I'll keep it in case someone needs it.
Mind telling what that job cost you?
Old 11-23-14, 09:12 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Cost To Me Was....

ZERO.....

Even though the GX 470 is way out of warranty..I was able to get this issue fixed for FREE!!!!
Old 11-23-14, 06:01 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cmarshack
TSB or TSIB= Toyota Service Bulletin. It occurs when Toyota recognizes a problem with a vehichle and covers it under warrantee
A TSB does not mean it's covered under warranty. A TSB is simply a diagnostic aide for technicians to perform repairs on possible common issues with vehicles. As an Infiniti tech, we have bulletins for everything from chrome wheel care to extended storage procedures, as do all car manufacturers. No TSB's imply extended warranty coverage unless specifically noted, but some dealers goodwill repairs for client satisfaction.

And TSB is Technical Service Bulletin, not Toyota Service Bulletin.
Old 11-23-14, 06:07 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by burny
Mind telling what that job cost you?
Mine had the repair done before I purchased it. It was was $2,300.
Old 11-23-14, 08:09 PM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Fyi

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Mine had the repair done before I purchased it. It was was $2,300.
I CLEARLY UNDERSTAND WHAT A TSB MEANS and WHAT IT DOES NOT MEAN.....

I was just referring to the fact that my GX is out of warranty and that Lexus took care the problem/issue....WITHOUT A HASSLE!!!!!

Some dealers goodwill repairs for client satisfaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by LVLEXUS; 11-23-14 at 08:12 PM. Reason: GOOF
Old 11-24-14, 04:02 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LVLEXUS
I CLEARLY UNDERSTAND WHAT A TSB MEANS and WHAT IT DOES NOT MEAN.....

I was just referring to the fact that my GX is out of warranty and that Lexus took care the problem/issue....WITHOUT A HASSLE!!!!!

Some dealers goodwill repairs for client satisfaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, you might understand what a TSB is for, but this is a forum for people to come to who may not know what it means, hence my explanation and clarification of what someone thought was a "toyota service bulletin." Miss information spreads like wildfire, and in my humble opinion, this forum has a lot of it. If someone like me, who does work like this for a living and has made a career out of it can clarify some things, then I have no problem doing it.

Last edited by BlackCat81; 11-24-14 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-24-14, 06:32 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Yep, a TSB is just an advisory to the service departments. It doesn't even have to be for anything functional. I've seen TSBs from Honda that are basically reminding the techs of the proper way to do something -- not to reuse clips which are designated as "single-use"

Chip H.
Old 12-22-14, 06:19 AM
Jimlevin
Driver School Candidate

Question Completed?

So, has anyone actually performed the repair successfully by removing the module without opening the transfer case AND then ALSO been able to go from hi range down to low range and then back to high with no issues? I ask because I did not see anyone who completed the repair and then also tested going from high range into low range, after the repair was complete and reported no issues (unless I missed a post).

470reasons: did you ever try to go from high range into low range and then back to high again like you said you were going to try in the dealership parking lot?

Any info post repair from anyone, I would appreciate. I would like to do this myself but I am worried that the synchronization will be off and I will not be able to go into low range and I want to keep low range available on my 2004 GX470.

Thanks, this is a very frustrating issue for a $0.50 seal!
Old 01-05-15, 07:28 AM
Jimlevin
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Update

Originally Posted by Jimlevin
So, has anyone actually performed the repair successfully by removing the module without opening the transfer case AND then ALSO been able to go from hi range down to low range and then back to high with no issues? I ask because I did not see anyone who completed the repair and then also tested going from high range into low range, after the repair was complete and reported no issues (unless I missed a post).

470reasons: did you ever try to go from high range into low range and then back to high again like you said you were going to try in the dealership parking lot?

Any info post repair from anyone, I would appreciate. I would like to do this myself but I am worried that the synchronization will be off and I will not be able to go into low range and I want to keep low range available on my 2004 GX470.

Thanks, this is a very frustrating issue for a $0.50 seal!
Update December 2014:

Well, as much as I didn't want this problem, a small local specialty shop that employs Lexus certified mechanics fixed the leak by only removing the box, total cost $344.00. I thought the risk of damage was just too high to do it myself. They also replaced most of the transfer case fluid.

Dealer quoted me $1,204.00 (same dealer who I bought it from but I don't trust their estimates, they always estimate low and the bill is always, at least, double their estimate).

Works perfect now in 4HI and 4LOW after the repair, no more leaks.

The shop did tell me that a lady came in 2013, with the exact same problem, only worse. Quick oil change place found the leak and had told her to "just watch the leak, it's so small there's no need to worry about it"-- WRONG! Her transfer failed within a few weeks of her visit to the oil change place and locked up because of a lack of fluid, total repair cost was $9,200 to replace the transfer case and other damages.

Quick Reply: Transfer case leak