GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Transfer case leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 06:13 AM
bama13time
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply
I have ordered the O-ring and will attempt this
the 1st day in Feb.
Old 01-19-11, 12:33 PM
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

bama, please let us know how it works out, I am curious to know ,thanks.
Old 01-24-11, 11:43 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got a quote from auto shop this past weekend, it will cost $600 to fix this TSB. Is replacing the o-ring only will stop the leak for sure?

Last edited by masboy; 01-24-11 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 12:11 AM
tim003
Driver School Candidate

Well, I have driven the GX over 500 miles so far after replaced the O ring and there is no more leak. Try to go to another shop and dont mention anything about the TSB, just tell them that you have a leak on your transfer case actuator ( I assumed this is where your transfer case is leaking), and tell them that you already bought the new O ring for the actuator and see what they will do for you. Let me know if you have any other question.

Originally Posted by masboy
Just got a quote from auto shop this past weekend, it will cost $600 to fix this TSIB. Is replacing the o-ring only will stop the leak for sure?
Old 01-25-11, 12:11 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks tim003! i'll try that then...
Old 09-10-11, 03:01 PM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Default Seal

Did anyone ever find the 23mm seal? I got the Bigger O-ring from Toyota, but it was the smaller one that was leaking. My actuator is out and the truck is not going anywhere until I get that seal. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-11, 08:25 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would just take the seal to a local seal and bearing shop, they will match it up and sell one for a couple of bucks.
Old 10-27-11, 08:02 PM
bama13time
Driver School Candidate

Well i was a little late getting the O-ring in my wifes car. I just finished up 30 mins. ago. My wife has an 04 gx 470. The leak started around 110,000 and she has 139,000 now. I ordered the o-ring back in feb. but never installed it until now. I just could not look at the oil on the carport any more.

I replaced the o-ring around the actuator. The old one was flat as a pancake.

The directions from here were spot on. But there is a couple of things I got confused on.

1. In the post with the steps that explain how to remove the actuator, there was 4 bolts to remove then 2 other bolts. Mine only had a total of 3 bolts.

2. The picture that man77 posted showing the actuator out of the transfer case,had a shaft still attached to it. When I pulled the actuator out , after removing the 3 bolts,there was no shaft that came out. The only thing I had in my hand was the back part of the actuator. The other shaft (the one with the teeth ) stayed attached to the transfer case. unlike the picture which showed a smooth shaft attached to the actuator. I did not notice if there was another shaft that was still in the transfer case.

3. I had to twist the actuator like the instruction said to get the teeth to to break loose. I was a little worried doing this, but i did come off.

The only thing that worries me now is why I did not see a Picture like man77 had with the smooth shaft still attached to the actuator. If anyone knows please respond.

I drove the car to the gas station and back. There was no oil around the actuator when i got home. I guess time will tell if this works.

PS. The toyota place wanted $2,200 to split the transfer case and change out this o-ring. I purcased the o-ring for $1.34 and took 45 mins. to repair, that is if it does work. I guess there is a chance that it wont, but for now, there is no oil leaking and the car drives the same.
Old 12-04-11, 11:14 AM
Brentos
Driver School Candidate

Default Update?

I have the same problem on my 04 4Runner, I have the O-Ring in hand and am contemplating the next step.

Any update from those who have pulled the actuator off without dropping the t-case?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-11, 07:43 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Gents ....it is a very easy job...remove the actuator, you will know the source of the leak. The Small Blackbox is the culprit to all these issues. This replacement is quite simple for the replacement of the O-Ring within. Only think to remember whatever you remove, just remember the sequence to the removal and refit.
Old 01-05-12, 10:35 AM
raffiGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mann777
Gents ....it is a very easy job...remove the actuator, you will know the source of the leak. The Small Blackbox is the culprit to all these issues. This replacement is quite simple for the replacement of the O-Ring within. Only think to remember whatever you remove, just remember the sequence to the removal and refit.
Hi, So just a recap. after I unbolt the acuator and then it just pulls away from the TC. I don't have to open the acuator or the TC. I have the same issue at around 94,000 miles. It's just a $3.00 part from the dealer. Putting it up on ramps I should be able to do it? Any last minute advise?
Old 01-05-12, 11:56 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

yep ! thats about it.
Old 01-09-12, 10:12 AM
raffiGX
Driver School Candidate

So I had the PN 90301-56009 o-ring replaced this past weekend. I decided to have a shop do it. Pretty simple and only charged me $60.00. But as I look at the black triangular plate; it has a little drip on it ready to drip. Am I missing something? Is there another o-ring or did the guy just screw it up? It's hard to belive he screwed it up. When he took out the (3) screws holding the part on I noticed that shaft stayed in the TC. Is that right? And he showed me the old o-ring that he replaced. Any input as to why it could still leak??
Old 01-09-12, 10:55 AM
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

I had the same thing happened to me, I used break cleaner to heavily sprayed the TC, and wiped cleaned
the whole thing around and behind every where you can get to, and no more drip and it stays nice and dry.
so it was the residue oil from previous leak, you would think the dealer techs would clean the TC since they had it out for repair, they didn't, figured no body would look underneath the car.
Hopefully yours is the same.
Old 01-10-12, 08:19 AM
raffiGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SIERRAGX
I had the same thing happened to me, I used break cleaner to heavily sprayed the TC, and wiped cleaned
the whole thing around and behind every where you can get to, and no more drip and it stays nice and dry.
so it was the residue oil from previous leak, you would think the dealer techs would clean the TC since they had it out for repair, they didn't, figured no body would look underneath the car.
Hopefully yours is the same.
I'll try that this weekend. But just in case any other thought on what it might be? I hoping it's residual but not sure

Quick Reply: Transfer case leak