GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 01:32 PM
meyer65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbenz80
I'm driving my wife's GX for second day now and out of about 40 stop & go cycles, I could noticed slight thump twice. If the play is not in twisting motion, then there is only one more move that this shaft makes. It will have to adjust its lenght with up/down motion of the suspension.
If this linear motion is not smooth, it will make clunk at the time of braking (when the nose of vehicle goes down/rear up) or on takeoff (nose will lift up/ rear goes lower).
I can clearly hear this same or even harder thump when I adjust the vehicle height thus extending drive shaft.
Mann777,
would you remember how hard it was on your old and new drive shaft to push the flanges together or stretch them apart? Did you have to pull on rear yoke of driveshaft to adjust to lenght between fanges at the time of installation?
Now, I finally have original GX service manual with propeller shaft overhaul procedure, I may just try to take it apart to see, what part is binding up on it. Worst case, I just put it together, as it was before (till now with 8 years and 258K miles on it).
You are correct in your assessment of what is causing the clunk. However, when comparing the old and new shafts, you can not physically feel a difference between the two in the amount of effort required push/stretch the flanges. My understanding is the original shaft occasionally binds, hence the delayed clunk. I think a lube will definitely help the problem... but it will eventually wear off. I only fixed mine because I am super sensitive to things like that, but mine was very slight and obviously never bothered either of the first two owners who drove it for 82,000 miles.

I will be interested to know how the lube works out for you. I agree that it happens way more on hard stops (I noticed it more when my sister was driving it because she has more of a lead foot when starting and stopping). I also heard the clunk worst occasionally when adjusting the air suspension. That has not happened since the swap.
Old 10-06-11, 05:19 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be interested to know how the lube works out for you. I agree that it happens way more on hard stops (I noticed it more when my sister was driving it because she has more of a lead foot when starting and stopping). I also heard the clunk worst occasionally when adjusting the air suspension. That has not happened since the swap.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you, it is already a lot better then it used to be but maybe I didn't apply enough grease to go through the whole lenght of the splines.
You can stop the vehicle without making the shaft to clunk or thump, you just have to apply the brake twice while comming to complete stop. First time step on it hard, to get rid of most of the kinetic energy that is pushing you forward, then let go the brake and apply it again lightly, just enough to bring the car to smooth stop.
Be aware of this trick, if you want to prove to dealer thet you have the clunk, you better drive and make quick hard stops to show them and let then feel the symptom instead of let them drive you around, stopping the way I used to and proving you wrong, whistling the most common tune to you: "could not duplicate customer's concern or problem at this time"
I can see this comment in service records of my vehicle in 2006 at 57K miles:
"Popping type noise when letting off brake. Brakes like new, could not duplicate problem at this time".
I believe it was the drive shaft and it had nothing to do with brakes! Poor explanation of the problem from customer (so problem exists for last 5 years and 200,000 miles on my GX)
Old 10-07-11, 11:46 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Mbenz apologies for the late replies....but reference to your question, The Old shaft when removed and while refitting the new one, the rear yoke slightly stretches, you can ask if collegeau of yours to first have the rear fitted and move towards the front. Only a slight pressure is required to the do the job, Ensure you torque as per specs. The whole job from removal to replacement took 45 minutes flat. ( basic tools and Torque Spanner must )

[QUOTE=mbenz80;6729604Mann777,
would you remember how hard it was on your old and new drive shaft to push the flanges together or stretch them apart? Did you have to pull on rear yoke of driveshaft to adjust to lenght between fanges at the time of installation?
Now, I finally have original GX service manual with propeller shaft overhaul procedure, I may just try to take it apart to see, what part is binding up on it. Worst case, I just put it together, as it was before (till now with 8 years and 258K miles on it).[/QUOTE]
Old 10-07-11, 12:39 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Apology accepted, we all have much more important stuff to do before forum visits.
I went under the truck last night to regrease it again.
I can see the spline dust cover scraping off oil/grease residue and I can see ring of grease on chassis around the cover end that visibly moves in and out about inch or more. I've added couple more strokes of grease to it anyways. 12 mile morning ride to work was fine, we'll see how it works.
I was going to take it off later today but in order to look at those splines, you have to cut the dust cover with cut-off wheel and pry it off (per service manual) which would render it non reusable.
I had the driveshaft out of my ML320 three times, so I know its no big deal. First time when I bought it to replace the transmission with transfer case. Twice later to replace the driveshaft center support bearing.
Old 10-08-11, 10:23 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Try using Brake Fluid to clean the spline and the gear tooth once removed, they are the best to remove the residue, While doing the job caution yourself that they do not spill on to you or the car body . ( Harmful )
Old 10-18-11, 05:16 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it's been 1 week since I got the clunk TSIB done and all's good so far.

Many thanks to Mann777 for his feedback and advice.
Old 10-18-11, 06:12 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

I had the honor of driving my wife's GX again after regreasing driveshaft week ago, no clunk while comming to stops and no clunk on take off. I could not feel it even while pumping up and rasing suspension.
I hope that was it, dry spot on the splines, time will show and I will keep you posted.
Now is time to move on and change the differencial fluids and take care of transfer case actuator leak.
Old 11-08-11, 02:08 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

It's been a month since greasing the shaft and no clunk no thump, very nice and quiet ride!
Old 11-21-11, 04:42 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

I got mine fixed today after arguing with a service rep for almost an hour.
The technician drove the car with me, and he thinks everything is normal while I felt the clunking at least 5 times. He even refused to look at the TSB print out I brought. I know how this dealer handles warranty repairs since I had to used them for my GS400 for 5 years in the past. It still has not changed a bit. It's too bad this is the only dealer within reasonable distance.

After the fix, the car feels better overall. The car felt like the gear was shifting hard before the fix in addition to the clunk at stop / take off. It was almost like driving with a bad transmission. I just don't understand why some dealers are just so **** about repairing things that are covered under warranty.
Old 11-21-11, 05:58 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs4rocks
I got mine fixed today after arguing with a service rep for almost an hour.
The technician drove the car with me, and he thinks everything is normal while I felt the clunking at least 5 times. He even refused to look at the TSB print out I brought. I know how this dealer handles warranty repairs since I had to used them for my GS400 for 5 years in the past. It still has not changed a bit. It's too bad this is the only dealer within reasonable distance.

After the fix, the car feels better overall. The car felt like the gear was shifting hard before the fix in addition to the clunk at stop / take off. It was almost like driving with a bad transmission. I just don't understand why some dealers are just so **** about repairing things that are covered under warranty.

Please, please don't tell me you went to Pohanka Lexus?
Old 11-21-11, 09:27 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redrocks
Please, please don't tell me you went to Pohanka Lexus?
Yup.
Lindsay Lexus is 2 hr. round trip for me, and that's not including waiting time.

Lindsay used to give Enterprise rental (compact), not sure about now.
Pohanka charges for the loaner even for warranty work.
I just don't see how Lexus dealer service is better at least in this area. Toyota dealers around here is way better actually.

I was standing outside Pohanka today, and this lady in pretty new RX350 drove in.
She was complaining about her wiper which she just got serviced.
Apparently, they swapped left and right side. I guess RX has one side longer than the other.
Old 11-22-11, 03:32 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs4rocks
Yup.
Lindsay Lexus is 2 hr. round trip for me, and that's not including waiting time.

Lindsay used to give Enterprise rental (compact), not sure about now.
Pohanka charges for the loaner even for warranty work.
I just don't see how Lexus dealer service is better at least in this area. Toyota dealers around here is way better actually.

I was standing outside Pohanka today, and this lady in pretty new RX350 drove in.
She was complaining about her wiper which she just got serviced.
Apparently, they swapped left and right side. I guess RX has one side longer than the other.
OMG, wow! Long story short, Pohanka eventually did the TSIB for my GX last month. I sent a email to Lexus Customer Satisfaction and recommend that you share your experience with them as well. Not that anything will get done.

How do you screw up wipers? Well, that's Pohanka for ya!
Old 11-22-11, 07:42 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Dealer:
Looking at alldata, warranty work is charged about half of the repair time compare to what customer will get billed for same work, plus about $400 for new driveshaft out of pocket.
I don't have any issues with this stop and go clunk since re-greasing the splines in my original shaft.
Wipers:
I believe our GX should also have 1" differents between passenger and driver side windshield wiper.
Old 02-12-12, 06:02 PM
rmendenall
Driver School Candidate

Default Does driveshaft issue need to be repaired?

Just purchased an '04 GX 470 with 133,000 mi. Did not notice the clunk until after I had it a few days. Since I am outside the warranty period, I am wondering if this problem will cause any other damage to the vehicle if left unrepaired? It is my wife's vehicle and it doesn't bother her, but I don't want to cause other issues by not fixing the problem. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-12-12, 06:48 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

I still have the original '03 shaft now at 261K, after regreasing driveshaft last year, my clunk is totally gone, so I would try that first to see if it will go away.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB