GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX 470 and Situating Two Carseats In Second Row

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-05, 09:03 AM
dangka22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX 470 and Situating Two Carseats In Second Row

I have a 2005 GX 470 and love it, except for the latch system for carseats. With the way the carseat latches are situated in the GX 470 in the second row, if you have two carseats, you have to put one behind the driver and one behind the front seat passenger, but further in and almost centered together such that an adult cannot sit in the middle or on either side of the two carseats. In an ideal situation, it would be nice to have two carseats situated directly next to each other (one in the middle, one next to a window) so that a third person can sit normal on the other window side. I currently have the Graco Snugride (infant carseat) and the Britax Marathon connected to the latch system--one behind the driver and one behind the front passenger, but semi-centered due to the latch system. Soon I will need to have two Britax Marathons in the car (Baby 2 will soon outgrow the infant carseat). I was wondering if anyone out there has had any luck situating two Britax Marathons next to each other--whether it be through (1) the car's latch system entirely, (2) through the car's seatbealts instead of latch system, or (3) perhaps a mix of both. We do have the third row seating, but it would be nice to have an adult sit in the second row since the third row isn't very comfortable. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by dangka22; 08-19-05 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-05, 11:35 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

With two Marathons, I think you are out of luck as far as someone sitting in the middle. We have a Britax baby seat and a booster seat-anchored but not latched. My wife can sit in the middle between the two varmints in this configuration. The booster seat kick's bum, though the name escapes me right now, and takes a lot less acerage than a Marathon. I'm going to buy another booster seat very soon also, as my two year old is almost out of the Britax.
Old 08-19-05, 06:26 PM
dangka22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgsntth
With two Marathons, I think you are out of luck as far as someone sitting in the middle. We have a Britax baby seat and a booster seat-anchored but not latched. My wife can sit in the middle between the two varmints in this configuration. The booster seat kick's bum, though the name escapes me right now, and takes a lot less acerage than a Marathon. I'm going to buy another booster seat very soon also, as my two year old is almost out of the Britax.
Thanks for your reply. Do you think it would be possible to have two Marathons (just anchored) even next to either, or is that just too ambitious? Such that someone could sit on the window side? The Marathon does seem especially huge and enormous. My kids are 5 months old and 19 months old, so they are too young for boosters right now.

thx. again.
Old 08-25-05, 09:06 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car seats

Originally Posted by dangka22
Thanks for your reply. Do you think it would be possible to have two Marathons (just anchored) even next to either, or is that just too ambitious? Such that someone could sit on the window side? The Marathon does seem especially huge and enormous. My kids are 5 months old and 19 months old, so they are too young for boosters right now.

thx. again.
I don't think you can do it...I've had 3 seats across row 2 but it was an infant seat, a forward facing toddler seat and a booster...very tight. Now I just put my son in the back with the booster-he loves having his own space.

Judging by the Britax's I've seen lately and comparing to my older Evenflo Medalllion V - not a chance they will fit next to each other - at least not safely...I'm guessing that the base would overlap the female end of the seatbelt by a few inches at least.
Old 08-26-05, 08:38 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Apologize for not responding earlier-vacation. I concur with Johnny, we tried putting two Britax Rhapsody's next two each other with the result of them being off-kilter enough too not really be safe. FWIW, they fit just fine in my in-laws old Navigator, the GX is too narrow. BTW, I have never loathed a vehicle more than that Navigator.

The booster seat we have for my four year old is a Compass 5000, which I really like because of its ease of use and ability to clean. Is there anything tougher and more hideous than dealing with a barfed on Britax? The Compass movable armrests and dual cup holders, and my 4 year old loves it compared to others we have tried.
Old 08-27-05, 10:30 PM
dangka22
Driver School Candidate

Default Got the Britax Marathon and the Graco Snugride Next to Each Other

My husband figured out a way to get the Graco Snugride carseat (with base) next to the Britax Marathon. He installed the Britax Marathon behind the passenger seat and the Graco Snugride base in the center next to the Britax Marathon. In order for this to be possible, the Snugride and the Marathon shared a latch. So now, an adult is able to sit on the side behind the driver! So our situation is solved for now. Our next task will be situating two Marathons in this way. My husband thinks it might be possible since the Snugride base may be just as wide as the Marathon. Not sure though. Also, since the second Marathon won't come in and out of the car like the Snugride does, it may work. I'll let you all know whether that is doable when the time comes (which will be soon).
Old 08-28-05, 08:04 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Shared Latch

Originally Posted by dangka22
My husband figured out a way to get the Graco Snugride carseat (with base) next to the Britax Marathon. He installed the Britax Marathon behind the passenger seat and the Graco Snugride base in the center next to the Britax Marathon. In order for this to be possible, the Snugride and the Marathon shared a latch. So now, an adult is able to sit on the side behind the driver! So our situation is solved for now. Our next task will be situating two Marathons in this way. My husband thinks it might be possible since the Snugride base may be just as wide as the Marathon. Not sure though. Also, since the second Marathon won't come in and out of the car like the Snugride does, it may work. I'll let you all know whether that is doable when the time comes (which will be soon).
I think you should look at the owner's manual...I thought I remembered reading about the latch being single use only...It may not have been designed to take the force of 2 carseats pulling against it in an accident...I would be very careful about that approach if I was you.
Old 08-28-05, 09:02 AM
dangka22
Driver School Candidate

Default Checked the Manual--not sure

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
I think you should look at the owner's manual...I thought I remembered reading about the latch being single use only...It may not have been designed to take the force of 2 carseats pulling against it in an accident...I would be very careful about that approach if I was you.
Thanks for your email Johnny Mo. If that is the case, I'll have my husband change the seats back. Obviously we don't want an unsafe situation for the kiddies. I checked the owner's manual and couldn't find anything that specifically said anything regarding that matter. But then again, I may have overlooked it. I checked out pages 192 to 195 of the 2005 manual. Can you direct me to any such language? However, even if it doesn't say anything and it is still unsafe, I would want my husband to change it back to the normal way. Does anyone know if it is okay for them to share one latch on the adjoining part for the two car seats?
Old 08-28-05, 09:30 AM
dangka22
Driver School Candidate

Default Safe or unsafe?

Just wanted to see what the consensus is on whether it is safe for the two carseats to share the latch (on the adjoining side). My husband seems to think it is safe because it is molded metal (or as he says "a hunk of molded metal"). If anyone knows, I would appreciate a response. But obviously we don't want to sacrifice safety for the convenience of having a third person be able to sit in the second row with two carseats next to each other.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-05, 05:45 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Latch

I'll see what I can dig up.
Old 01-31-20, 12:19 PM
Sheamus27
Driver School Candidate

Default Access 3rd row with 2 car seats in 2nd row??

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
I'll see what I can dig up.
Access 3rd row with 2 car seats in 2nd row?? I'm looking at an older 2006-2008 gx470. Can you push the whole seat forward to get in the way back if you have car seats on both sides or do you have to pull out a car seat to tilt the seat every time you want to get someone in the third row

Old 01-31-20, 03:37 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

You will have to tumble & fold a second row seat to access the third row. Unless the kids (not in seats) are small enough to clamber over the 3rd row seat-backs from the cargo door.

Chip H.