GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Proxenon Releases HID Lights for the GX, well almost

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 06:14 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Proxenon Releases HID Lights for the GX, well almost

I received an email last night that their 6500k 35W H11 retrofit system will be in stock in 10 days. Time will tell.

For me, because I switched GX's in July, I forgot to remove the two ballasts mounted near the wheel wells. I'm hoping Proxenon will just provide them to me since I waited nearly a year. Hopefully the interest (my money in their bank account) should have came close to paying for the ballasts.

I'll let everyone know how they fair in the customer service department.
Old 11-21-03, 05:20 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile tick tock

have been waiting also for the kit from ProXenon since the start of the year.

hope the latest news holds water

btw, just got back from an H11 Hid Kit install and it looks great.

check out www.ekdg.co.kr

USA agent located in New Jersey

ballast were from Hella
Old 11-21-03, 11:03 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

D4SSWME,

How difficult is it to install it? I have no experience with any HID kits and am a mechanical challenge.

Thanks in advance,
Old 11-22-03, 05:45 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lyxxsx1
D4SSWME,

How difficult is it to install it? I have no experience with any HID kits and am a mechanical challenge.

Thanks in advance,
Not difficult at all.

The engine compartment is covered by plastic panels. Be careful with these fastners, you don't want to break them. Some of them require pressing down in the center piece to get them to click and release. I don't recall the other fastners. You'll need to remove three panels first before starting.

The bulbs are easy. Protruding from the back side of the lens under the hood, you'll see a small plastic cylinder with a wire sticking out of it. Disconnect the wire and turn that counterclockwise and pull out. You have the bulb in your hand. Do not to touch the glass of either bulb (oil from your hand could heat up when the bulb is activated and blow the bulb)

There is also a ballast required. The ballast is a rectangular metal box (at least for Proxenon) and it needs to be screwed down to the engine compartment. I did so about 6 inches below the rim of the fender well and about 10 inches from the front of the engine compartment. Just be careful what screws you are using and the mounting position. You don't want to drive screws through the fender.

The wiring is simple. Take the factory headlight wire harness plug..plug it into the ballast and plug the ballast harness into the bulb. Slide the new bulbs into the sockets and you're done.
Old 11-23-03, 10:59 AM
lyxxsx1
Driver

H11 HID is now available @ Proxenon:

http://www.proxenon.com/add_cart_frm.php?product_id=65
Old 11-23-03, 08:53 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PICTURES PLEASE!!!@!
Old 11-24-03, 07:47 AM
lexusnc
Driver

All right!! I just ordered the new HIDs fro proxenon. I'll let everyone know when they arive and post pic when I get them installed.....it looks like it will be a merry christmas after all!!
Old 11-24-03, 08:51 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default HID's

Well if this is all true and you guys are happy with the quality I may have to delete my other thread about trying to get Sylvania to run a production of Siverstars and just go with one of these kits. Of course the proxenon setup would be for off-road use only
Old 11-25-03, 05:05 AM
lexusnc
Driver

looknow12,

did you need to use other hardware (screws ect) than was included with the kit? if so what. Also did you need to replace the stock fuses or were they large enough? I'm just trying to do some homework before I get the lights to smooth the install.
Old 12-02-03, 10:34 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Pics

Anybody have pics of their HID retrofit (for off-road use only) . It would be very beneficial for others to see how easy/difficult a mod this is as well as the prices for the 2 different kits currently available.
Old 12-02-03, 11:03 AM
lexusnc
Driver

Proxenon said they should be shipping this week and as soon as I get the lights in I'll post pics.
Old 12-02-03, 11:16 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexusnc
looknow12,

did you need to use other hardware (screws ect) than was included with the kit? if so what. Also did you need to replace the stock fuses or were they large enough? I'm just trying to do some homework before I get the lights to smooth the install.
I tried posting before, but the site was experiencing problems so my post didn't go through. The installation is easy. My explanation won't be as good as the poster who explained how to override the DVD while driving, however when I finally get the kit, I will do a better job.

REMEMBER, THESE ARE STEPS I REMEMBER FROM THE FIRST HID KIT THAT PROXENON SENT ME. Do not trust these for accuracy. This is only intended to give you a general idea of the work involved. As you'll see it is quite easy.
[list=1][*]Remove the plastic panels from the enginer compartment. Carefully with the clips. Most push in the center so they release upwards.[*]Behind each headlight housing, you will see two wires. Using a flathead screwdriver, release the clip on the plug and pull the plug off.[*]The plug sticking out from the headlight housing is the stock bulb. Turn it counterclockwise and then pull the bulb out.[*]Install the ballast to the fender side of the engine compartment. Be EXTREMELY careful with screws, the last thing you want to do is to drive screws through the fenders. The lower (closer to the axle/ground) you can mount the ballast the more clearance and safety you will have against screw damage.[*]Connect the factory harness to the cable that comes out of the ballast.[*]Take the new bulb and seat it into the headlight housing slot. Turn it clockwise to secure.[*]Connect the harness from the ballast and connect it to the newly installed bulb.[*]Repeat steps 2 through x for other side bulb.[*]Replace plastic enginer compartment cover panels.[/list=1]

AGAIN check kit instructions for accuracy. When I receive my kit, I will go into detail, and provide pictures.
Old 12-02-03, 11:21 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Proxenon Message back after email

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Status of HID's H11's
Sent: 12/2/2003 2:15 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

sales@proxenon.com on 12/2/2003 2:19 PM
The destination system is currently not accepting any messages. Please retry at a later time. If that fails, contact your system administrator.
< proxenon.com #5.3.0 X-Unix; 73>
Old 12-03-03, 03:18 PM
lexusnc
Driver

looknow12
did you ever get a response back from proxenon?
Old 12-04-03, 03:58 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexusnc
looknow12
did you ever get a response back from proxenon?
No, and I left them a message. I'll call them again today.

Quick Reply: Proxenon Releases HID Lights for the GX, well almost