Possible GX purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 11:47 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Possible GX purchase

Good day to all!
Before I get into this thread, I'd like to say than you to all of you ahead of time, as I have been doing some reading (not a whole lot), but some reading on the GX and so far am seeing that this vehicle is a great one.

I am trying to assist my father in seeking an SUV (used) that is comfortable, reliable, decent gas mileage (as he drives a great deal for his job) and will hold up for at least 7-10 years, hassle free.

I have finally managed to convince him that Lexus/Toyota are the brands that he should be looking at and so he has asked for my help.

I am pretty well versed on the LS as I own one, and the good folks in the 4thGen LS area are pretty stellar, but the GX is a totally new animal for me and im hoping that the admiration and honesty is the same here as what I've experienced in the LS area.

Among some of the threads I have read, are some of the more recent threads about prospective buyers seeking advice as well, but I haven't really seen information stating things such as:

-Model years that may have faired better in reliability than others
-What are some of the common issues the GX has experienced and what (if any) issues has Lexus stepped to the plate and correct (TSIB's/recalls, etc), control arms/suspension, actuator, leaks, pumps, noises...
-Do all GX's come with air suspension? if so, is it problematic?
-Are they easy to work on via DIY/indy mechanic
-How easily are aftermarket parts able to be sourced
-Avg. mpg
-Mileage point/cut-off to consider given make/year (for example, in my neck of the woods-LS, we have members who have purchase the 07/08 LS with 90k-130 miles on them with little to no worry or concern at all regarding reliability).

Just a few things I am thinking about off the top of my head.

When he asked my opinion for vehicles he should look at in the SUV category made by Toyota/Lexus, I told him 4Runner and GX, and that a used one of either one would be somewhat near each other price-wise, and if he (I) found a few who were similarly priced (within a few thousand), then the choice would clearly be the GX.
Its been quite some time since he has driven a "nicer" vehicle (past cars, Chevy HHR, old body Impala, Dodge Intrepid, Buick LeSabre, Ford Tempo/LTD). The nicest vehicle he's driven has been a 2002 Tahoe that he leased when they first came out, and most recently, a 2015 Camry hybrid, so this would be a treat to himself, and I'd love to help him source his, not only first Lexus, but really nice vehicle.

As far as budget is concerned, im thinking he'll be around mid teens to early to mid 20's, which isn't a huge budget, but its where he's at.
He's 6'4 and im trying to keep him out of a sedan because he's a bit older with knee and back issues and I just think he *needs* to be in a comfortable SUV, especially given the amount of time he spends in a car (~25k year).

So, I think that's about it. Any questions, feel free to ask, and again, thank you all for reading and assisting me with this journey!
I look forward to reading and interacting with you all.
Old 02-28-17, 02:36 PM
Jonrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From your post, Lexus GX460 is not for your dad. I recommend you look at other vehicles.
Old 02-28-17, 02:59 PM
Sportino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Just joined today. I'll throw in my two cents to get the ball rolling as this debate is one i just had. Spoiler Alert, I just purchased a 2010 gx460 premium for $24k.

This price point is tricky. Most consider low miles about 75k, and this mileage 1st Gen GX/3rd Gen 4R will land you mid to upper teens withe less current tech available. However, the next Gen 4R/GX are right around the corner, so I'd look 2010 or newer, with mileage below 120k. That should get you to 200k with minimal service and last your required duration whIle still landing in your price range.

I have driven the following for extended periods: 2015 gx460 base, 2010 gx460 premium, and 2015 4runner SR5 Premium

The frames are identical, brakes are too, I forget about the suspension but definitely not if you get air suspension on a GX premium. I feel the ride is nearly identical as well, save for noise level.
GX V8 requires premium (you can run midgrade if you're feeling cheap) and gets 16-21depending on your driving. 4R's V6 will get 2 mpg better on any fuel but requires a timing belt & water pump every 90k. There's probably a break even point, but I consider the timing belt worse than buying premium fuel.

GX tows 6500#, T4R is 5000# if that matters... I pull my Nova no problem with the GX, but it's at the limit of the T4R.

Better head room on GX, and no timing belt. Also feel the better finishes (love the wood steering wheel) for $0-$2k is a no brainer.
​​​​​​I wish the rear was a lift gate but manage fine with the barn door.

GX specific, the 2014+ enform system is better than the 2010-13 version due to the revised colors button response, and layout options. It also has parking lines on the camera, it's a non issue to me but possibly not you. I also really like the blind date spot monitoring. Remember, it's a Lexus, there's going to be things that are expensive, but any Toyota dealer can service and source parts for it. If your a total noobie, it's a Toyota Prado/Land cruiser150 outside of North America. GX comes standard with A-trac and center diff lock where you need a Trail or Limited trim in a 4R. I also prefer the 10-13 front end and tail lights over the 14+ (but those are out of your budget anyway)

Only issue I have had is warping rotors with hard braking on the highway, and a few ecu upgrades to address odd button issues.

Personally couldn't find a 2010-13 T4R with leather under 100k below $25k. So I grabbed a 90k mile GX.
bottom line, you should be able to get a 2010-13 GX for low 20's and have one hell of a vehicle capable of going any where in the world on some BFG KO2's.

I'd also think that after all those years being practical to provide for his now grown kids, your dad may be wanting a mild upgrade. Go for it! Especially if he likes the camry.

Last edited by Sportino; 02-28-17 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 03:11 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi CRowe14, welcome to the GX sub-forum! It's great to see other members here.

I believe you're going to have one critical issue moving to the GX and that's MPG. Coming from a Camry Hybrid, your dad is going to immediately notice the gap between the two vehicles. As you know, the GX is rated for 15/20 MPGs, city/highway. I have obtained 22-24 on the highway but that's quite a bit beyond what you'd get in mixed driving. If you're primarily driving around the city, your MPGs get even worst. Granted I'm in the Los Angeles area and 80% of my driving is city, I only get about 13-14 MPGs. On my current tank, which is 3/4 full, I've been stuck in nothing but traffic and I'm only registering 12mpg.

In terms of your other questions, I believe any of the 2nd gens regardless of years are solid. Lexus has stepped up and addressed any known TSBs and nothing that I know of is outstanding. The only issue is the passenger air-bag recall which is only affecting a portion of buyers (phase 1) right now. You can easily search for it in this forum. I don't believe this should affect immediately you if you purchase in your neck of the woods. Oh, and there is a whole thread on the secondary intake valve causing issues if exposed to moisture. You'll have to deal with it in the next year or so.

Not all GXs come with air suspension. 2010-2013 Premium's had it. I believe for 2013-17, only the Luxury trim has air suspension. I have not yet had any issues with my 2010 (knock on wood). In terms of servicing the vehicle yourself, it's not terribly difficult. It's a Toyota at the end of the day and you can source many of your parts directly from Toyota instead of Lexus. As far as mileage/year cutoff, I purchased mine used (5 years old with 75K miles). I've only had to deal with regular maintenance items (brakes, fluids). So far everything else is working fine.

I think your dad might be better off in a Hybrid Highlander with the amount of driving he'll be doing. And as of now, I think the 2010 GXs are still going for roughly $22-24K.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 02-28-17, 04:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 883 Likes on 613 Posts

He's 6'4 and im trying to keep him out of a sedan because he's a bit older with knee and back issues and I just think he *needs* to be in a comfortable SUV, especially given the amount of time he spends in a car (~25k year).
Do keep the below links in mind. If he decides the GX is what he wants he really needs to spend some time in it. 25K miles a year and on a lower spending budget, I agree with daman7676 for a Highlander. He is still in the 2015 Camry hybrid? Is the change only to gain higher access or something else?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...er-s-seat.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...i-hate-it.html

Last edited by tecman; 02-28-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 10:52 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

MPG needs take the GX out of the running. I agree with daman7676, Highlander FTW (hybrid or otherwise)
Old 03-02-17, 11:15 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I cant thank all of you guys enough for the tremendous amount of great feedback that has been provided here in only a few but SOLID post!
In short, I told him and he agrees, that the GX isn't for him and now the search has begun for a Highlander Hybrid.
Thanks so much everyone, greatly appreciate your time and feedback!
The following users liked this post:
daman7676 (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 11:41 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I cant thank all of you guys enough for the tremendous amount of great feedback that has been provided here in only a few but SOLID post!
In short, I told him and he agrees, that the GX isn't for him and now the search has begun for a Highlander Hybrid.
Thanks so much everyone, greatly appreciate your time and feedback!
No problem. Good luck on the hunt, If it wouldn't be much trouble let us know what you bag
Old 03-02-17, 11:58 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The RX350 is also a great option, same fuel mileage as the Highlander. RX hybrid I think is better on gas than the Highlander hybrid.

But yeah GX is going to be double the fuel cost or maybe even triple if he puts premium gas in it, over a Camry hybrid.

Both should last forever with little maintenance, particularly the nonhybrids.
Old 03-02-17, 12:37 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
No problem. Good luck on the hunt, If it wouldn't be much trouble let us know what you bag
Oh absolutely!
I should say that he is no longer driving the Camry hybrid. In brief, the camry was a company car. He got laid off a good few months back but works as an independent contractor and does basically drives all over the metro Atlanta area daily do keep the bills paid. So he has been renting a different car every 3-4 weeks. Expensive-I know.
He wasn't expecting to be out of work this long, but as we all know, the time frame it can take to obtain employment is known by no one. He has a few prospects currently and is hoping to land a position within the next month, hence his budget. This way he can obtain a car that he can afford and once he begins working again, perhaps a few years down the road he'll upgrade.

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
The RX350 is also a great option, same fuel mileage as the Highlander. RX hybrid I think is better on gas than the Highlander hybrid.

But yeah GX is going to be double the fuel cost or maybe even triple if he puts premium gas in it, over a Camry hybrid.

Both should last forever with little maintenance, particularly the nonhybrids.
I told him about the RX, but he's a bit over 6'4. He said he sat in one some time ago and although he liked it, he said it felt a bit cramped. But thank you very much for your time and input!
Old 03-02-17, 07:21 PM
ktranne9
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dad should look into LS. Not too low from the ground imo. Most Lexus SUV are cramped anyway. Best vehicle I ever owned.
Old 03-03-17, 07:41 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Oh absolutely!
I should say that he is no longer driving the Camry hybrid. In brief, the camry was a company car. He got laid off a good few months back but works as an independent contractor and does basically drives all over the metro Atlanta area daily do keep the bills paid. So he has been renting a different car every 3-4 weeks. Expensive-I know.
He wasn't expecting to be out of work this long, but as we all know, the time frame it can take to obtain employment is known by no one. He has a few prospects currently and is hoping to land a position within the next month, hence his budget. This way he can obtain a car that he can afford and once he begins working again, perhaps a few years down the road he'll upgrade.

I told him about the RX, but he's a bit over 6'4. He said he sat in one some time ago and although he liked it, he said it felt a bit cramped. But thank you very much for your time and input!
I had an RX for over 5 years (see siggy) and I am 6'-1" I didn't feel too cramped but my older brother at 6'-3" was a bit tight when he drove with me in the pax seat. I would say the RX is not meant for someone over the 6'-ish range.Above that and then you are reclining your seat to a weird position and, even though it has sliding rear seats, making your rear passengers a bit wonky.