GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

catalytic converter failure less than 60K mi

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 08:38 AM
Rhinetom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry catalytic converter failure less than 60K mi

The other day, the check engine light came on steady, the anti-slid light came on steady, and the 4 low light came on flashing. Took to the dealer thinking it was the secondary air pump (again) see my other posts but, the service rep called and said the cause was a bad catalytic converter and it is covered under the emissions warranty. Additionally, the battery tested bad (was replaced last year under warranty) and would again be replaced at no cost to me. Still waiting for the passenger air bag to be fixed. A lot has gone wrong with my GX causing me to re-think buying another Lexus.
Old 01-11-17, 06:59 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhinetom
The other day, the check engine light came on steady, the anti-slid light came on steady, and the 4 low light came on flashing. Took to the dealer thinking it was the secondary air pump (again) see my other posts but, the service rep called and said the cause was a bad catalytic converter and it is covered under the emissions warranty. Additionally, the battery tested bad (was replaced last year under warranty) and would again be replaced at no cost to me. Still waiting for the passenger air bag to be fixed. A lot has gone wrong with my GX causing me to re-think buying another Lexus.
Yea that sucks, you have had a few problems and this one with the Cat doesn't seem to be common. "re-think buying another Lexus"?

What is a better choice with reliability, assuming you still want a BOF luxury SUV?

I always buy the best premium battery available and yet some go bad after 2-3 years, 1 year no.
Old 01-12-17, 11:06 AM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

When battery goes bad in so short time means that something is draining it while car is off. It happened once in the past to me in my other car where glovebox light would be on all the time and brand new Interstate battery went from good to bad in 14 months. Have dealer do a complete review of the electrical system analysis to detect the offending component that drained the battery.