GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 GX460 3 click noise after engine off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 05:28 PM
damkampple
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 GX460 3 click noise after engine off.

So I changed my oil today and I notice a couple of things about my car. When I turn off the engine, I hear like a 3-clicking noise. I tired it a few times, turn on then turn off, I still hear it, is this normal? Also, I filled up my coolant back in June and today it's back to its lowest level again. I live in Las Vegas and I'm wondering if it's normal for my coolant to deplete that quick. I did notice some coolant residue underneath the car when I was changing the oil filter. I felt around the reservoir and no wetness around it. Could it be that some hosing is leaking coolant? Please help, specially on that 3-clicking noise thingy. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-08-16, 05:51 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't hear any clicks when I turn off the engine but it is not uncommon on these newer vehicles that a few systems keep running when the engine is off. If you could try to narrow it down a bit and possibly post a video forum members could possibly give you some ideas.

Losing that much coolant is not expected and although it does not sound critical it could get worse overtime. One of your rubber hoses could have a small crack and since the coolant is under pressure it may be leaking. I would recommend purchasing some UV dye and add it to your coolant. After driving the truck for a few days/weeks you could check hoses and connection points if you see any leaks.

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 09-09-16 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 11:50 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by damkampple
So I changed my oil today and I notice a couple of things about my car. When I turn off the engine, I hear like a 3-clicking noise. I tired it a few times, turn on then turn off, I still hear it, is this normal? Also, I filled up my coolant back in June and today it's back to its lowest level again. I live in Las Vegas and I'm wondering if it's normal for my coolant to deplete that quick. I did notice some coolant residue underneath the car when I was changing the oil filter. I felt around the reservoir and no wetness around it. Could it be that some hosing is leaking coolant? Please help, specially on that 3-clicking noise thingy. Thank you in advance.

its probably the fuel system doing it checks after suv is o ff
Old 09-08-16, 07:05 PM
Namelus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have a 2012 GX 460 Premium and after the engine is turned off the vehicle will do self checks, even a couple hours of the car being off the Air Suspension System will turn on and adjust itself. This and some of the other noises are normal to be heard from the vehicle as it rests. In the manual it also refers to such noises being heard even after the GX is turned off.

I hear various different clicks and noises from my GX even after the engine is off BUT I do not hear a specific "3 clicks" after the engine is off. If you are worried about it just take it to your Lexus Dealer and ask if a mechanic can quickly listen to the noise.

As for the coolant I haven't had that problem myself, NewB2Lexus has a good idea of using dye in the coolant as there might be a crack from the high pressures.

==============================================================================================

2012 GX 460 Premium

2008 Accord EX-L V6
Old 09-08-16, 08:17 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by damkampple
I tried it a few times, turn on then turn off, I still hear it, is this normal?.
Did you hear it before? I don't think it's normal. The GX will purge gas fumes hours after shut off, but immediate clicking doesn't sound right.

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
I don't hear any clicks when I turn off the engine but it is not uncommon on these newer vehicles that a few system keeps running when the engine is off. If you could try to narrow it down a bit and possibly post a video forum members could possibly give you some ideas.

Losing that much coolant is not expected and although it does not sound critical it could get worse overtime. One of your rubber hoses could have a small crack and since the coolant is under pressure it may be leaking. I would recommend purchasing some UV dye and add it to your coolant. After driving the truck for a few days/weeks you could check hoses and connection points if you see any leaks.
So no clicks here.

Originally Posted by T4Fun
its probably the fuel system doing it checks after suv is o ff
You have owned an older GX and now a 2014. Have you heard the clicking on either? I have not and I have never refilled my coolant.
Old 09-08-16, 08:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Namelus
I Have a 2012 GX 460 Premium and after the engine is turned off the vehicle will do self checks, even a couple hours of the car being off the Air Suspension System will turn on and adjust itself. This and some of the other noises are normal to be heard from the vehicle as it rests. In the manual it also refers to such noises being heard even after the GX is turned off.

I hear various different clicks and noises from my GX even after the engine is off BUT I do not hear a specific "3 clicks" after the engine is off. If you are worried about it just take it to your Lexus Dealer and ask if a mechanic can quickly listen to the noise.

As for the coolant I haven't had that problem myself, NewB2Lexus has a good idea of using dye in the coolant as there might be a crack from the high pressures.

==============================================================================================

2012 GX 460 Premium

2008 Accord EX-L V6
it's not the suspension system

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ual-noise.html