GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2017 GX Changes now Available

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 09:55 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGX460
I am curious, where did you see in the new marketing brochure or online this feature ? Previously it was only available in the Driver Support Package if I am not mistaken (which was more an additional front camera and side passenger mirror camera)
And I am with you on the captain chairs, I just bought a 2016, and I am so glad I did not wait for the 2017 model.
Captain chairs are optional. The bench is still standard I believe. The 360 would be interesting. Right now its 270 (drivers side is not covered) w/ DSP

If anything if Lexus decided to continue on the GX in 18, then expect the current grill to be a design indicator. Thinner headlights, captain chairs.

Also did anyone notice the shiny plasticy metal covering on the gear selector in the above image. Did lexus design stop by a local MNC parts store and grab some go fast gear lol
Old 08-16-16, 02:38 PM
S2k4
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGX460
I am curious, where did you see in the new marketing brochure or online this feature ? Previously it was only available in the Driver Support Package if I am not mistaken (which was more an additional front camera and side passenger mirror camera)
And I am with you on the captain chairs, I just bought a 2016, and I am so glad I did not wait for the 2017 model.
Still DSP.... looks like it's not completely 360.
http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/features
Old 08-16-16, 06:08 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

What is the purpose of the Captian chairs? I was thinking it would be a plush seat. They removed the console for this little stubby arm rest? The folding console at least gives you the option for a third passenger and folded down gives you an arm rest.

Last edited by tecman; 08-16-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 06:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

More interior volume, easier ingress. Its staring to become a thing, the 17 MDX got these as well on top tier. I guess its better to have one less seat, and more commanding feeling lol

Wonder if both seats are now movable for 3rd row access
Old 08-17-16, 05:08 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
it does look that way. That would make me a bit jealous. Bit it IS my wifes��

BTW, I'm a fan of the CTS-V. My last really fast car was a 2009 Z06. I sold it after four years because I was building a collection of fast bikes. I always like seeing real gear heads on forums like this.
Was your Z06 black? I think I remember seeing it on the Corvette forum, she was a beauty.

Before the V I had a 2011 6MT C6 Grand Sport, as much as I liked driving the Grand Sport I LOVE driving the CTS-V.. As fast as it is what I like best is how rare it is, you don't see them and most people are shocked when the realize its a Caddy. I came very close to buying a new V but couldn't part with my coupe.

Anyway back on topic, yeah the GX with sport pkg appears lower in that pic, I like the way it sits. My wifes RX F Sport's lease is up in a year and I know she has been considering the GX again.

Last edited by JT4; 08-17-16 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 09:09 AM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good eye JT4. It does look like the sport pkg does sit lower. I wonder if that's just for marketing purposes or if they really did adjust the suspension to give it a lower profile.
Regarding those captain's chairs. It is kind of interesting to see how they're marketing - all photos with 3rd row seats deployed. To me they're really trying to compete with minivans/other SUVs that are offering this as an option (MDX, Acadia/Traverse, etc.). Makes sense. For those with young kids in car seats, this would definitely be a selling option as they can now have easy third row access.
Old 08-17-16, 09:21 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Was your Z06 black? I think I remember seeing it on the Corvette forum, she was a beauty.

Before the V I had a 2011 6MT C6 Grand Sport, as much as I liked driving the Grand Sport I LOVE driving the CTS-V.. As fast as it is what I like best is how rare it is, you don't see them and most people are shocked when the realize its a Caddy. I came very close to buying a new V but couldn't part with my coupe.

Anyway back on topic, yeah the GX with sport pkg appears lower in that pic, I like the way it sits. My wifes RX F Sport's lease is up in a year and I know she has been considering the GX again.
Cyber Gray. You know me as jschindler.
Old 08-17-16, 09:43 PM
CarGX460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you guys notice also that the standard price for each model went up as well in 2017 vs 2016 : +$500 for the Base +$500 for the Premium and +$825 for the Luxury models, without any additional feature or function. So I guess this is the inflation cost ??
For the captain chairs, you pay an extra $325 and you end up getting less seating space for yourself, some lilliputian armrest, and the cup holders are now on the floor, stuck on the side of the chair, and they look flimsy on the picture.
The only advantage I see is for the 2 persons in the 3rd row, now they will have some extra space to stretch their legs between the 2 chairs.
And for the fans of the Satin Cashmere color (that I almost chose), then no more of that color choice. It would have been better if they added the new Blue, remove the Red Claret Mica, which makes the car look like a ticket magnet ;-) and keep the Satin Cashmere.
Old 08-18-16, 04:42 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Cyber Gray. You know me as jschindler.
I guess I was thinking of someone else, but I do remember your screen name.. My GS was also Cyber Gray w/ competition Gray wheels

Originally Posted by daman7676
Good eye JT4. It does look like the sport pkg does sit lower. I wonder if that's just for marketing purposes or if they really did adjust the suspension to give it a lower profile.
Regarding those captain's chairs. It is kind of interesting to see how they're marketing - all photos with 3rd row seats deployed. To me they're really trying to compete with minivans/other SUVs that are offering this as an option (MDX, Acadia/Traverse, etc.). Makes sense. For those with young kids in car seats, this would definitely be a selling option as they can now have easy third row access.
I've looked at it several more times and it does appear to sit lower. have a feeling it's just for marketing purposes, because unless I missed it I didn't see anything in the specs in regards to suspension changes.

Also, when I try to build a premium GX on the Lexus website, when trying to add the Sport Design Package it shows "Sports Design Package with Captains Chairs". Do you have to get the captain's chairs with the Sport Design Package?

Last edited by JT4; 08-18-16 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-19-16, 05:56 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Has anyone found a complete description of what the Sport Design package includes? All I've seen is pics of the front grill and nothing in the description. I've always though Lexus' web-site is sadly lacking details.
Old 08-19-16, 06:06 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

I think it is the grille and the darker tail lamp housing (where are the pics Lexus) along with the gunmetal wheels. The $1625 up charge wouldn't give you more than that.

Hmm, there is an * after the wheels description with no mention as to why??

Old 08-19-16, 09:34 PM
CarGX460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To find the individual descriptions of the SDP Sport Design Package, you go : GX homepage > Features (next to the black tabs of Overview and Gallery) > choose Package on the left side menu > Expand the arrow down to show this picture

And here is the scarlet taillamps.
Note the option price of $1,625 is only for the Luxury version.
The SDP is not proposed at the Basic trim.
You must start at the Premium level (so an extra $4,445) to get the SDP choice quoted at $2,050, then total of $6,505 as shown above.
To see what the asterisk means, anytime you see one, you have to hover your mouse cursor on top of it and click then you will see this pop-up message

Old 08-20-16, 07:31 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The average person will not notice any change on bottom of front bumper or rims for that matter. The captain seats are just plain stupid. Now a 3rd person cannot sit in 2nd row. Genious.
Nothing really of major change here.
17 MY will likely be the last of this generation GX. I have no clue what their plan is with this and the LX. Just waiting.
Old 08-20-16, 08:55 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As one of the posters indicated that captain seats are an option, I think it is good to have choices. I have 2 young children and every time they sit next to each other, there is a war. So having separate seats would be a better for a family like mine, family of 4. After all, it is a SUV, not a bus.
Old 08-20-16, 06:39 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Those wheels look like the Luxury package wheels. I'm glad that I could care less about the differences. Saves me from wanting one.

Quick Reply: 2017 GX Changes now Available