GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Need brakes for 2012 GX460

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 07:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Need brakes for 2012 GX460

Well I just took my 2012 GX460 in for service on Saturday and I need new rear brakes. The good news is these are the original brakes (both front and rear) and for such a heavy truck to last 50k miles is amazing to me but it is consistent with my old 2008 GX470. Amazing so far that really the only thing this has really needed through 50k miles is oil changes and one brake flush.

Anyway, the dealer's price to replace the rear brake pads and resurface the rotors are around $450. My fronts still look good but I'm sure it won't be long for those but to do the same thing is a little cheaper than the rear brakes.

My question is whether I should just buy OEM rotors and pads on the net and have an independent shop do it or is this a fair price at the dealer and just have them do it? I know Sewell doesn't have their online business anymore but I think Carson Toyota still does. Does anyone know the approximate cost for the pads and rotors?
Old 10-13-15, 03:19 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Do you have an independent mechanic you like and trust? You are definitely paying quite a bit in labor to get Lexus to do the work, and it's a pretty simple job. But I'm not sure you'd save that much if you had an independent do the work with OEM parts.

I'd say around $50 for new pads, and $150 for a set of rotors.
Old 10-13-15, 05:52 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I know of one that is a Toyota mechanic that has a lift in his garage. If the parts are about $200 including new rotors, I think I will take it somewhere else instead of paying $450 with resurfaced rotors.
Old 10-22-15, 08:23 PM
rhyle07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A local reputable mechanic will always almost be better bet than going to "stealership". Besides replacing rotors and pads is not too complicated.
Old 11-02-15, 06:16 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a suggestion..... You might take a look at your 'braking habits'. Hopefully, you aren't a 'left footer'. When you go down long hills, do you shift into a lower gear and take advantage of engine braking? Do you follow too closely or drive more aggressively. Used properly, there's no reason why your original brakes shouldn't last 100,000 miles. If they aren't lasting that long, they are probably being used wrong. I live and drive in the mountains of Colorado. I am constantly going up and down hills, around tight curves, off road, tow an atv trailer, etc. My GX has 50k+ miles on it, and the brakes look like new. However, I use engine braking and good braking habits. You might do an internet search on "Good Braking Habits" and "How to save your brakes."
Old 11-02-15, 06:21 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kroorda
Just a suggestion..... You might take a look at your 'braking habits'. Hopefully, you aren't a 'left footer'. When you go down long hills, do you shift into a lower gear and take advantage of engine braking? Do you follow too closely or drive more aggressively. Used properly, there's no reason why your original brakes shouldn't last 100,000 miles. If they aren't lasting that long, they are probably being used wrong. I live and drive in the mountains of Colorado. I am constantly going up and down hills, around tight curves, off road, tow an atv trailer, etc. My GX has 50k+ miles on it, and the brakes look like new. However, I use engine braking and good braking habits. You might do an internet search on "Good Braking Habits" and "How to save your brakes."
I do those things (except shifting into a lower gear going downhills, I just coast and don't brake at all) but I can't control how my wife drives, especially with such a heavy truck like this. I am actually surprised they lasted 50k miles as my service advisor says that is really good on original GX brakes. 100k miles is what I have heard with regenerative brakes such as the LS600 I used to have. The other thing is maybe a lot of stop and go traffic that we drive in is why our brakes went out at 50k miles. If you live in the DC area and deal with the traffic here I would be surprised if you get 100k miles but who knows, maybe people do.