Print Wikipost

Door Lock Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 12:21 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The behavior on GX is as follows:

Unlock the door by touching the door handle or using the key fob, but do not open the door the car will lock the doors automatically after 5 mins.

Open the doors and then either put the vehicle in Drive or at the 25 miles speed it will lock.

There is a setting from dealer that is supposed to lock the doors(<x amount of time> after one exits but that has never worked for me so I just touch the door handles to lock the truck. I am in talks with the Lexus master tech to see why this feature does not work.
Old 10-23-12, 12:58 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I touch the doors after I exit the vehicle they will not lock by touching the handle, I have to push the button on the FOB to lock the doors. Am I doing something wrong? 2012 base GX.
Old 10-23-12, 08:27 PM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
When I touch the doors after I exit the vehicle they will not lock by touching the handle, I have to push the button on the FOB to lock the doors. Am I doing something wrong? 2012 base GX.
On the front doors, touch the "dimples" on the forward part of the handle, both top and bottom; they should lock if the remote is in your pocket-- KH
Old 10-24-12, 06:38 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by khiroshima
On the front doors, touch the "dimples" on the forward part of the handle, both top and bottom; they should lock if the remote is in your pocket-- KH
I will check it out later today. Never saw any dimples on my 12.
Old 10-24-12, 08:09 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by khiroshima
Confirmed ... both function and 'dimples'!

This works as well with TWO 'fobs' (a.k.a. remotes or electronic keys) as long as both fobs are out of the vehicle. My wife and I invariably drive together, with our fobs in our pocket/purse. If either or both remain in the vehicle with the doors closed, touching the dimples sets off a loud and persistent chime. We must open the door, retrieve the offending fob, close the door and re-touch the dimples.

Unlocking with two fobs works as well. Whoever touches the door handle first unlocks all doors (that is a programmable preference). Likewise with starting ... whoever is in the driver's seat presses the brake pedal and pushes the START button, even if doors are still open or if one of us with our fob is outside the vehicle.

In general, keeping the fobs "on our persons" is trouble free for unlocking, starting, stopping and locking. You have to be careful about what part of the door handle you touch ... the dimples to lock, but the "part you pull" to unlock. As KH said, only the front doors have this capability.
Regards,

SaniDel

Bonus Feature ... Approach the rear of your locked GX with the fob in your pocket ... the rear hatch WILL OPEN when you press the button WITHOUT unlocking the vehicle. Very convenient when shopping, especially when making multiple trips to the vehicle from several stores in the same shopping center. Put your packages in the cargo area, close the hatch ... and resume shopping!

Last edited by SaniDel; 05-15-15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 10:49 AM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I will check it out later today. Never saw any dimples on my 12.
I have a '12 as well, they are subtle, but should be there . . . Good luck, cool feature, for sure! KH
Old 10-24-12, 12:11 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Ok, The "Dimple" thing worked, didn't even realize it was there.

Thanks!!
Old 01-21-13, 08:54 AM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto door locks

Hey does anyone know how to have the door automatically lock when you leave the car. I forgot to lock them the other night and someone got in.
Old 01-21-13, 12:25 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

As far as I know it's not an option. I wish it was an option and if it is somebody please educate me.
Old 01-21-13, 12:50 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I don't think there is an option to do that... I think it can lock the doors automatically if after unlocking they were never opened but that's about it.
Old 12-10-14, 08:34 AM
BeeJ
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Door Locks

2011 GX460 Premium
I searched the manual and on-line manual.

1) How do I set the doors to automatically lock when I leave the vehicle?

2) Also, at night when I open the driver's door, the panel on the door is NOT illuminated making it difficult to unlock the door for passengers. This is a true safety issue. How can this be fixed and NO I do not want the door unlock operation buy handle touch or remote to unlock all doors.

NOTE: the website
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...nual-search.do
is valuable BUT the separate PDF manual sections is poor since it is difficult to jump around within the whole document. Each section of the document reference pages outside the current section.
There is no easy way to know what section that page is in.
Old 12-10-14, 09:59 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I don't see an option for the doors to lock when the key is out of range. Have you heard otherwise?

LEDs will help your 2nd problem.
This is in my dark garage. I can see better than the picture shows.

Old 12-10-14, 10:11 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Just noticed this.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...door-lock.html
Old 12-10-14, 10:42 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

No setting to make the doors lock automatically when you leave the vehicle. There is a setting that If you unlock the doors, open the door, close the door without starting the vehicle they will lock within a pre-set amount of time.
Old 05-15-15, 08:53 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel

Unlocking with two fobs works as well. Whoever touches the door handle first unlocks all doors (that is a programmable preference).
I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious about this feature. RIght now, when I approach the vehicle and get near the door handle, it unlocks the driver door. Can this be set up to unlock all the doors?

Quick Reply: Door Lock Q&A