GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 GX460 with Invision Headrest DVD System

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 09:01 PM
fins0608
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 GX460 with Invision Headrest DVD System

I recently bought a 2010 GX460 Premium that did not have factory installed rear dvd. The dealer installed the Invision headrest DVD system, which is very nice, but the headrests do not look anything like the factory headrests. As pictured below, the Invision headrests are not adjustable and they overhang the front of the seatback by almost 3 inches. As a result, they not only do not appear to fit the actual seat, but they are terribly uncomfortable as they push into the back of my neck.

Has anyone else had the Invision headrest DVDs installed in a 2010 GX460? Do they look like these? I'm wondering if the dealer installed the right Invision model; they claim it is correct.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 GX460 with Invision Headrest DVD System-img00088-20100310-2051.jpg   2010 GX460 with Invision Headrest DVD System-img00091-20100310-2052.jpg   2010 GX460 with Invision Headrest DVD System-img00092-20100310-2054.jpg  
Old 03-11-10, 03:59 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG I could have totally written your post and I have the EXACT SAME PICTURES, but in ecru. I got them in on a thursday and they took them out yesterday. Did you notice the covers don't even fit??? Twilight zone, right?? How did they not notice how uncomfortable/unsafe they are? I wrote my dealer the exact complaint and said if these are made for the GX you need a different vendor. The plan is they are going to show me a pair of 7 inch (the ones you and I have are 8 inch) but I'll tell you right now, if they change the shape of the headrest in any way I'm not having it. He also said they are making a new version where the screen is behind the headrest like stock. I said I'd check it out but I have to say I have doubts. If that doesn't fly I will get my money back. Do not stand for it, make them take them out. I posted about this earlier. The saga continues.

eta: this is what I wrote my dealer:

I took some pictures so you know what I'm talking about. The DVD headrest is much thicker than the stock headrest which would be fine but instead of extending to the back, it extends forward so there's no way for me to sit comfortable in the seat, as I have to keep my head bent forward. The first picture shows the angle of the headrest. I'm surprised no one else has complained. In addition, I can't imagine that would be safe in an accident.

The second picture shows the difference in thickness between the original headrest and the one in there now. The third shows that the cover isn't the same shape as the headrest and both --- and I tried but couldn't even get the cover to fit. I looked at the website of the DVD manufacturer and the pictures for the 2010 GX do not look the same as what's in my car.

Is it possible they put the wrong one in? Is there a way to tilt the headrest back? I haven't read the car manual yet so maybe I'm missing something but there's no way in my opinion this is normal. I have to tell you that this is really affecting my enjoyment of my new car. I absolutely love my new car but I have to put my seat back farther than normal so my head isn't pushed forward and every time I move my head back and it hits the headrest I'm reminded/annoyed. I'd like to either have switched out with a pair that fits properly or remove them with my money refunded. I also think if this is the proper GX headrest from this company you should consider finding another source or at the very least show prospective purchasers what they're buying. Had I any idea this would be what I was going to get I would not have purchased them.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 GX460 with Invision Headrest DVD System-img00136-20100307-1642-1-.jpg   2010 GX460 with Invision Headrest DVD System-img00137-20100307-1650-1-.jpg   2010 GX460 with Invision Headrest DVD System-img00138-20100307-1656-1-.jpg  

Last edited by wannaGX; 03-11-10 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-11-10, 02:48 PM
NoNameDFW
Driver School Candidate

Those look awful! I'm glad you're standing up and hopefully will get something that is actually usable and aesthetically pleasing. I see Walnut Hill in the background of your pics. Which dealer did you buy from?
Old 03-11-10, 05:08 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by NoNameDFW
Those look awful! I'm glad you're standing up and hopefully will get something that is actually usable and aesthetically pleasing. I see Walnut Hill in the background of your pics. Which dealer did you buy from?
Sewell. No complaints on that front. Do you have a GX or in the market?
Old 03-11-10, 05:22 PM
NoNameDFW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wannaGX
Sewell. No complaints on that front. Do you have a GX or in the market?
Greets -

We are awaiting delivery. It's been about 3 weeks so hopefully we will get it soon! I'm sure it will be worth the wait tho... Hope I wasn't too harsh on my criticism of those headrests (didn't mean to come off like a jerk). We almost went that route too and were told the aftermarket looks exactly like the OEM.

Last edited by NoNameDFW; 03-11-10 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 05:46 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by NoNameDFW
Greets -

We are awaiting delivery. It's been about 3 weeks so hopefully we will get it soon! I'm sure it will be worth the wait tho... Hope I wasn't too harsh on my criticism of those headrests (didn't mean to come off like a jerk). We almost went that route too and were told the aftermarket looks exactly like the OEM.
Congrats! Hope it comes in soon. Need details of what you ordered, what dealer and did you get a deal? Come on, spill it!

No offense taken, they are all kindsa wrong and they are now out of my GX.
Old 03-12-10, 01:13 AM
Balooo2
Driver School Candidate

Default Things to consider...

Too bad these after market headrest systems are not working out for you folks.
The vehicle I came out of for my GX 460 had a factory DVD (ceiling flip down type) and I decided it was not worth the cost of any permanent DVD player having lived with one for three years.
My kids are 9 and 12 years old and the use / thrill of the DVD wore off pretty quick in our experience.
We only used it on long trips maybe 3-4 times a year.
My solution was a $230.00 portable headrest Dual DVD player from Philips, 9 inch Screens.
Each screen/player plays its own movie, they can also plug in their DSI etc,etc and is only about 1 inch thick is what I purchased for my new GX 460.
They look great in my GX when in use; when done on a long trip I simply store them in a small SLR camera bag I had. The portables have come a long way…
I know this is old school tech but considering what you folks are going through (those headrest really do look awful and not very comfortable) you might consider how much and what kind of use these things will get real world.
Besides do you really want your kids requesting a movie every time you put them in the truck? Been there, done that.
Trust me out of sight, out of mind...

Here is the product link:
http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/po...422_37/prd/us/

I know this will not work if you are seeking interior bling but if the intent is simply entertainment for long trips (as is the case for me) this is the way to go.
Old 03-12-10, 04:47 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Thank you for the suggestions. I have zero interest in interior bling. My hubby wanted the kids to have dvd players. I will look at your suggestion very seriously. In retrospect the $$ I paid for these toys is ridiculous.
Old 03-12-10, 03:05 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

OMG, what are these installers thinking? As you said, that's a completely dysfunctional headrest, not to mention the color does not even match (for the darker one). Glad it is off your GX. I can't believe the stuff that slips by these days. The new GX has a beautiful interior in terms of colors, the stitching, etc.

I am waiting on an LX570 precisely because of this. We wanted the factory DVD system (though I am liking the earlier suggestion from Balooo2-wish I had talked to you earlier!), and because they are in such short supply, the dealer offered multiple times to have the aftermarket thing done. I don't know if it would have been like this, but I am so glad I said no.
Old 03-12-10, 04:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

A good reason to get the factory DVD headrest system.
Old 03-13-10, 12:08 PM
fins0608
Driver School Candidate

My dealer confirmed with Invision that they are releasing a new version of the system for the 2010 GX460. The dealer is replacing these headrests.
Old 03-13-10, 08:17 PM
bturkel1@v
Driver

Are not the GX Headrest active and serve a safety purpose? Why mess with them
Old 03-14-10, 05:00 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by bturkel1@v
Are not the GX Headrest active and serve a safety purpose? Why mess with them
I think the "new version" is the behind the headrest model - probably for that reason.
Old 03-14-10, 06:09 AM
bturkel1@v
Driver

It is and I have it. Thats my point. Why put aftermarket
Old 03-14-10, 07:07 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by bturkel1@v
It is and I have it. Thats my point. Why put aftermarket
Because they aren't available on a base model in the southwest and we were told they were just as good. What's your point? It's not like they're cheaper. . .

Quick Reply: 2010 GX460 with Invision Headrest DVD System