GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New to CL

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 09:37 AM
wyosilers
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to CL

Hello. I want to introduce myself to the forum.

I just purchased a 2006 GX470. I jumped on it because it only has 48k miles. I'm guessing a little old lady drove it to and from church on Sundays.

As far as I can tell, it has every available option, including KDSS. I'd been in the market for a non-nav, but I couldn't resist this one. In fact, once I've been on here for 30 days, I'll have a SLA-81 and ASWC-1 for sale in the classifieds.

Eventually I'm hoping to do some light off-roading in the Denver area. Something that I can do stock. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

I'm looking forward to learning from and possibly sharing with the GX470 group.

Paul
Old 03-19-17, 10:08 AM
jonesmw10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome! I'm new here myself. I take it you're on the front range? Western slope for me! Sounds like you found the perfect GX.
Old 03-19-17, 12:20 PM
wyosilers
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Yes, I'm in Denver.

I've been watching the GX's here for about a year and don't think I could have found a more pristine one.

Paul
Old 03-20-17, 10:39 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You'll want to start out with moffat road / rollins pass / corona. You can approach it from either Rollinsville or Winter Park (do both at some point).

Next step would be the Loch Lomand / James Peak area (Forest Service Road 7011). There's good camping up there if you want to spend the night. For an actual adventure that gets you out from behind the wheel, park at Loch Lomand and hike to the summit of James Peak.

Another good one would be York Gulch. Go up as far as you feel comfortable. Stock GX will bottom out pretty badly as you get higher up toward Yankee Hill. You can start at the central city cemeteries to make it more interesting, near columbine campground. An even better route is up through Nevadaville and then past bald mountain cemetery. Since I live in that area, I take that route home from skiing sometimes when I-70 is suffering it's usual overload. That route in winter is not for the uninitiated lol.
Old 03-21-17, 07:00 AM
wyosilers
Driver School Candidate

That's great information Lonehiker. I really appreciate it. What's the earliest time of the year you would suggest giving those routes a try?
Old 03-21-17, 09:28 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

By the second week of July everything should be passable and it will stay that way into October (sometimes as late as Halloween). Before that, it can be a crapshoot depending on what the weather does over the next month. If it continues to stay dry you'll be able to go up earlier.

Most of Moffat Road is passable beginning in early June. It stays blocked until July at Yankee Doodle Lake. But just going up to that point is fun, so don't let that stop you.

Much of York Gulch is passable now, you would just have to go up and explore to find out what areas are good and what areas are still icy. The easiest way to check out the area is to go up it from Old Fall River Road. York Gulch is one of the first roads on the right. That part of the road is plowed for the year-rounders that live up there, so you can get up there and check out the condition of some of the other roads. I know that the area near Bald Mountain Cemetery is snowy but drivable right now, as I was just up there.

Loch Lomand has a pair of gates that close it seasonally. The upper gate doesn't open until July 15th, so I wouldn't go until then. it's FS Road 701.1, not 7011, sorry for the typo in my last post.

If you have the itch and can't wait that long, go to Moab. It's in great shape this time of year. Heading there next week myself. Gemini Bridges and the lower part of Kane Creek Road are both fun in a GX.
The following users liked this post:
wyosilers (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 10:21 AM
wyosilers
Driver School Candidate

You are a wealth of knowledge. I'll have to be patient. In the mean time I'll work on some small things for the truck.

Thanks again.
Old 03-21-17, 11:02 AM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, CL has a ton of info! Be sure to cruise over to the 120 section on I8Mud for more off road based GX's. GXOR on facebook is extremely active as well.

Cheers!
Old 03-21-17, 11:31 AM
wyosilers
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Scat. I've been lurking on Ih8mud and expeditionportal. Eventually, I'd love to get into overlanding. I'll need to find a different solution to parking at my office parking garage. I find myself ducking as I drive through it as is and I can't imagine adding a couple of inches with suspension.
Old 03-21-17, 12:44 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem!

Get some all terrains (+ full size spare), sliders and skid plates and you will be pretty set to tackle a lot of ground.